C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Warning" about LG super-cooler radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Warning" about LG super-cooler radiator

Quick story: I have a 2009 C6 Z51 M6. I track my car alot and noticed oil temps up at the track. I wanted to get an oil cooler to keep temps in normal range at track. I looked around at options and talked to "guys" at LG motorsports. After talking with them I decided to get the radiator (1,125.00) instead of a simple aftermarket oil cooler because it would cool the water and has a oil cooler built in!! GREAT cooler water and oil in one unit!
Well after the install I noticed that I had sliightly lower water temps but HIGHER oil temps. I called today and this is the answer I got: Oh, yea...You will see higher oil temps because the oil cooler doesn't work that well...you have to leave your stock oil cooler on...don't use the oil cooler part of the radiator. WHAT! I wish they would tell me that before bought it I would have bought just a oil cooler from someone else and saved money...not to mention that I paid my tuner to remove the stock oil cooler and now I have to pay him to put it back on. I ask them if I could use them both (LG radiator/oil cooler with the stock oil cooler) and they said they are working on it but only for the Z06 not the Z51 LS3. They don't have an LS3 to use for fabrication of the parts needed to modify the system to work. Even there message on hold states the radiator will reduce water and oil temps........
Well I have my car heading back to tuner for the swap and now have to start looking for an oil cooler all over again. I talk to tuner and he stated in his conversations (he ordered it directly) they never told him to leave the stock cooler intact. I believe him because I was informed or misinformed the same.
I just wanted vent an let people know if your getting the radiator for oil cooling don't REMOVE the stock oil cooler!! It works for the water temps nicely but not the oil in new model vettes. I guess the cooler water will help the engine stay cooler but it does not help with oil cooling directly.....for now..

trapp
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I'm told you can replace the Z51 cooler on the LS3 with the larger Z06 unit.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I'm told you can replace the Z51 cooler on the LS3 with the larger Z06 unit.
Several that track their car swapped the z51 cooler for a z06 cooler, for that money you could have bought a Dewitts radiator and z06 oil cooler and have some left over..
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told you on the phone that we were working on a dual cooler replacement line kit. The Z06 cooler by it self helps a LOT. The Engine oil cooler by itself is not enough, nor is the stock oil cooler.

Customers that order the radiator will get a line kit that reuses the stock cooler in conjunction with the oil-water in the radiator.

I know you are upset, we have a solution, we are aware of the problem, you will not be left in the dark
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
I told you on the phone that we were working on a dual cooler replacement line kit. The Z06 cooler by it self helps a LOT. The Engine oil cooler by itself is not enough, nor is the stock oil cooler.

Customers that order the radiator will get a line kit that reuses the stock cooler in conjunction with the oil-water in the radiator.

I know you are upset, we have a solution, we are aware of the problem, you will not be left in the dark
I'm not complaining that the radiator is not doing the job for the water temps...but was surprise that both me and the tuner had no idea of the situation with the oil cooler...which was my main reason for the purchase and I would have NOT removed my stock oil cooler.

He (tuner) stated he could order some stock oil lines and run the oil from the radiator to the stock oil cooler and then back to the engine!!!! This would run the oil through both systems and gain the benefit of both systems.. If this works then I'm a happy camper.

I posted only to let anyone know ordering the unit of this situation...I have alot of LG products on my car and very pleased with performance...this was just a communication issue..that would have let me make a more informed choice.

trapp
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
if your getting the radiator for oil cooling don't REMOVE the stock oil cooler!! It works for the water temps nicely but not the oil in new model vettes. trapp
It doesn't surprise me that the internal type cooler ran warmer than the external air type but the internal unit shouldn't be banished forever. There are many applications that it works well. The 2005-2006 Z51 that came with an internal oil cooler can actually run cooler with an aftermarket radiator. The stock GM oil cooler is a (3) three plate stainless unit and we use a (7) plate aluminum unit. So you should see a marked improvement. Cars that came with no eoc will drop 20 degrees with the internal eoc. In your case, going from an air type eoc to an internal is a slight downgrade.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Note up front... I am not doubting the OP!

If this is true, "Even there message on hold states the radiator will reduce water and oil temps........", then there is potentially false advertising involved. I certainly don't like dealing with vendors that bate you and then tell you that "we're working on it". That piece of information should be known at the start.

JMHO.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
charliesvette
Heel & Toe

Everyone is allowed to make a mistake with a product. However, I don't believe the LG message was that they are owning up to it as their bad. It sounds more like LG doesn't understand why this is a big issue to someone, and they think that buyers shouldn't mind waiting for them to fix it.

LG, I don't think you can simply expect a customer to be happy because you are willing to fix it. I suggest you be professional. Admit it's your "bad". Say you're sorry and see if there is something LG can do to make it up to your customers until you fix YOUR bad.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by charliesvette
Everyone is allowed to make a mistake with a product. However, I don't believe the LG message was that they are owning up to it as their bad. It sounds more like LG doesn't understand why this is a big issue to someone, and they think that buyers shouldn't mind waiting for them to fix it.

LG, I don't think you can simply expect a customer to be happy because you are willing to fix it. I suggest you be professional. Admit it's your "bad". Say you're sorry and see if there is something LG can do to make it up to your customers until you fix YOUR bad.
I didn't read it that way. Looked to me like LG was taking ownership of the issue and prepping a fix....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't read it that way. Looked to me like LG was taking ownership of the issue and prepping a fix....
Meanwhile their message while on hold is that they have a system that cools both engine coolant and engine oil. They need to fix their message as it is false advertising. Again, JMHO.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
Meanwhile their message while on hold is that they have a system that cools both engine coolant and engine oil. They need to fix their message as it is false advertising. Again, JMHO.
Incomplete information or specs.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
...you will not be left in the dark
EDIT - deleted comments.....

Last edited by jschindler; 12-08-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM
nwc6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not been on CF very long, (5 years) but I have never seen Lou Gigliotti or LG motorsports back down from complete customer satisfaction.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
Quick story: I have a 2009 C6 Z51 M6. I track my car alot and noticed oil temps up at the track. I wanted to get an oil cooler to keep temps in normal range at track. I looked around at options and talked to "guys" at LG motorsports. After talking with them I decided to get the radiator (1,125.00) instead of a simple aftermarket oil cooler because it would cool the water and has a oil cooler built in!! GREAT cooler water and oil in one unit!
Well after the install I noticed that I had sliightly lower water temps but HIGHER oil temps. I called today and this is the answer I got: Oh, yea...You will see higher oil temps because the oil cooler doesn't work that well...you have to leave your stock oil cooler on...don't use the oil cooler part of the radiator. WHAT! I wish they would tell me that before bought it I would have bought just a oil cooler from someone else and saved money...not to mention that I paid my tuner to remove the stock oil cooler and now I have to pay him to put it back on. I ask them if I could use them both (LG radiator/oil cooler with the stock oil cooler) and they said they are working on it but only for the Z06 not the Z51 LS3. They don't have an LS3 to use for fabrication of the parts needed to modify the system to work. Even there message on hold states the radiator will reduce water and oil temps........
Well I have my car heading back to tuner for the swap and now have to start looking for an oil cooler all over again. I talk to tuner and he stated in his conversations (he ordered it directly) they never told him to leave the stock cooler intact. I believe him because I was informed or misinformed the same.
I just wanted vent an let people know if your getting the radiator for oil cooling don't REMOVE the stock oil cooler!! It works for the water temps nicely but not the oil in new model vettes. I guess the cooler water will help the engine stay cooler but it does not help with oil cooling directly.....for now..

trapp
Joys of modding.

Get notified of new replies

To "Warning" about LG super-cooler radiator

Quick Reply: "Warning" about LG super-cooler radiator