C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Replacement Battery?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogvette
I haven't heard this... what are the reported problems with the Optima?

I haven't heard of any such problems either. Mines been in for 4 years.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogvette
I haven't heard this... what are the reported problems with the Optima?

Most of what I've heard is what I read right here on the Forum. The only first hand experience I have is a friend with an '05 (like mine) installed the Red Top Optima and it wouldn't hold a charge, he took the battery back and had it tested. The battery was bad. They replaced the battery for him at no charge. That was about a month ago, now he is having troubles again with it not holding a charge. He assumed that the battery was OK because it was new, and he couldn't believe he would have two bad batteries in a row, so he took his car to the mechanic to have the car checked out...the car checked out fine, it was again a bad battery. He's going to put a Delco battery in, so I could probably get you a good price on a slightly used Red Top (just kidding).

I wish I had technical data for you, but this is all I have. For me, it was enough to push me to the battery I trust...Delco.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The Optima Red Top on my 05 died after two years. I replaced it with a Diehard Platinum. Sears said they didn't have the right one but they did. I never had an issue with the battery. The big downside to this battery is the cost. I think they run $150-$180. But they are essentially an Odyssey battery. I put one in my 05 Murano also and have had zero issues with it.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
pahlbfishn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Walmart EverMaxx. Great batteries.
best for the money and just as good as all those other so called best batteries. Tried them all and Walmart batteries have never given me any problems.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I've had a Optima yellow top in my 96 4 Runner since the original one died. It was installed in the middle of 03 and I still have it. I run a RF amplifier in the vehicle that pulls 60 amps amps. stock alternator too. No problems.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never had any starting, electrical or battery related problems (even with my car sitting idle for weeks at a time and even after the dealership totally discharged it on one occasion). My OEM battery provided faultless service for 3+ years (which is typcial where I live). Despite the popularlity of the Optima battery here on the forum, I replaced my OEM battery with a conventional battery. My friends at the auto parts store where they sell various brands of batteries (including Optima) were unanimous in their opinion that the Optima battery wasn't worth the extra money. Based on returns and replacements they don't feel the Optima provides any better service.

Like glennhl below, I also buy batteries from AutoZone, Checker Auto, etc. For my C6 I bought the 'top of the line' conventional battery from AutoZone...it works well and has a great warranty.

Originally Posted by glennhl
You have several options. I went with the stock AC since mine failed before warranty was out (got a free one right before the 3 year warranty expired on the car). There is an interesting option of a lightweight battery, will save you over 15 pounds.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...tall-pics.html

I have never gone with an Optima only because they weigh more than the stock battery. I typically just buy batteries that are easy to replace if I'm on a trip, Autozone, Checkers, Interstate, or an AC Delco.
I'm no battery expert but a racing friend of mine experienced problems resulting from one of those lightweight batteries. It saved weight but evidently is wasn't functioning quite the same as a conventional battery. It caused problems in his modified C6.

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've never had any OEM battery last longer than 3 years. To the op I also use the red top.
Batteries are maintenance items. With the high heat and extreme temperature variations here in the desert southwest, 3-4 years is pretty typical for any make battery. I consider 3-4 years a decent service life for a car battery.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Any battery but an optima really. Die hard or Delco premium works well...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 01-02-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Optima Yellow Top

I don't disagree with those who went with the Optima Red Top. It's a fine battery. I chose to go with the Yellow Top because a deep discharge will not inflict the permanent capacity damage it would to a Red Top and all other non-deep-discharge batteries. As a rule of thumb, they will lose 10% of their storage capacities (and useful lives) every time they are completely discharged. You decide.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
I don't disagree with those who went with the Optima Red Top. It's a fine battery. I chose to go with the Yellow Top because a deep discharge will not inflict the permanent capacity damage it would to a Red Top and all other non-deep-discharge batteries. As a rule of thumb, they will lose 10% of their storage capacities (and useful lives) every time they are completely discharged. You decide.
The yellow top is a deep cycle battery and is best used on cars that are stored for long periods or you have big stereo accessories on while the car is off. I chose the red top because it is the better start battery and I keep a charger on mine trough the winter months so it's not an issue. The yellow would have to be charged after sitting for extended times also. In cold weather climate the red top is superior to yellow and you live in Chicago?

Last edited by saplumr; 01-02-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
I choose the deep cycle because they can take the constant recharging that I need.
Yellow Top
Demand More from Your Vehicle?
The YellowTop® high-performance AGM battery is one of the only true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and unparalleled cycling capability (rechargeability), it is perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YellowTop can repeatedly bounce back from deep power drains to full energy capacity, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Lower internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.
My dealer strongly recommended the Yellow Top after my Delco failed twice. The Red Top has greater cranking power, but the Yellow Top has better reserve capacity, which is what most of us really need. The Delco lags far behind in both cranking power and reserve capacity. Either Optima would be a better choice than the Delco that comes with the car.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
The Optima Red Top on my 05 died after two years. I replaced it with a Diehard Platinum. Sears said they didn't have the right one but they did. I never had an issue with the battery. The big downside to this battery is the cost. I think they run $150-$180. But they are essentially an Odyssey battery. I put one in my 05 Murano also and have had zero issues with it.
Good to know. And a little easier to get possibly. The Odyssey is recommended by a very good source here.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

The yellow top is a deep cycle battery and is best used on cars that are stored for long periods or you have big stereo accessories on while the car is off.
Oh really? For either case, why?

I chose the red top because it is the better start battery and I keep a charger on mine trough the winter months so it's not an issue.
Define "better start battery". Take two batteries, one Yellow Top and any non-deep-discharge battery (even a Red Top). Now subject both to two complete discharges -- a fairly common occurrence for C6 owners. After recharging, which is the better start battery? Which will have the longer service life?

The yellow would have to be charged after sitting for extended times also. In cold weather climate the red top is superior to yellow and you live in Chicago?
I live in Chicago??
Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Oh really? For either case, why?

Define "better start battery". Take two batteries, one Yellow Top and any non-deep-discharge battery (even a Red Top). Now subject both to two complete discharges -- a fairly common occurrence for C6 owners. After recharging, which is the better start battery? Which will have the longer service life?

I live in Chicago??
OK..you live in IL. I said if you store the car for long periods you probably should use yellow (if you don't use a charger). If you use a charger during that period the yellow has no advantage and the red has more cold cranking power. Don't have to take my word, it's written on the Optima website what each is best for.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The site says

Yellow Top
The YellowTop® high-performance AGM battery is one of the only true dual-purpose automotive batteries available. With premium cranking power and unparalleled cycling capability (rechargeability), it is perfect for modern accessory-loaded vehicles. The YellowTop can repeatedly bounce back from deep power drains to full energy capacity, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time. Lower internal resistance also provides more consistent power output and faster recharges.

Red Top
Gentlemen, Start Your Engines.
The OPTIMA® RedTop® high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate high-CCA starting battery designed to deliver the strongest 5-second ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. The RedTop will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications. With unparalleled high power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, the RedTop is idea for trucks, SUV's, luxury cars, hot rods, off-road vehicles and other applications that require a leak-proof starting-only battery.

Since alot people store or drive weekends only would benefit from Yellow Top.

Buy yellow, no I am not biased.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Yellow Top

Red Top
Gentlemen, Start Your Engines.
The OPTIMA® RedTop® high-performance AGM battery is the ultimate high-CCA starting battery designed to deliver the strongest 5-second ignition power for a reliable start-up every time. The RedTop will outperform and outlast traditional batteries in demanding cranking/starting applications. With unparalleled high power delivery and extreme resistance to the most common causes of battery failure, the RedTop is idea for trucks, SUV's, luxury cars, hot rods, off-road vehicles and other applications that require a leak-proof starting-only battery.

Since alot people store or drive weekends only would benefit from Yellow Top.

Buy yellow, no I am not biased.
100% BEST BATTERY I EVER HAD !!!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pahlbfishn
best for the money and just as good as all those other so called best batteries. Tried them all and Walmart batteries have never given me any problems.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Approaching 40 months with my OEM battery..... what's to complain about?

Get notified of new replies

To Best Replacement Battery?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Approaching 40 months with my OEM battery..... what's to complain about?
That you didn't run out and spend 200 bucks on a pretty red or yellow battery..... (you decide...)
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I only use Interstate, my last Interstate, in the C5, lasted almost 9 years, and failed slowly, so I knew it was going. My Delco in the C6, lasted 5 years, so I can't really complain about an OEM battery not lasting a decent amount of time. But I can complain about how fast it went down.
I came out to drive the car after a two week sitting and it would almost crank, but not quite. I charged it to FULL, Drove it to my shop - 15 miles away, and it was almost dead 4 hours later. It barely cranked the starter, but enough to catch. Drove it home, went back out the next day and it was completely dead.
Never had an Interstate die that quick.

I don't have time to search but I also thought I saw several posts in this section with several people having issues with Optimas.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
ejbarre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to go with OEM, when I need one. 51 months & 47,800 miles on my '06, knock on wood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Replacement Battery?