C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM drops warranty from 100,000 to 60,000 miles

Old 03-12-2015, 07:40 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Default GM drops warranty from 100,000 to 60,000 miles

Interesting..... wonder why the change? Is all the new technology less dependable?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...o-60000-miles/

Automotive News reports General Motors is backing down from its 100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

Starting in 2016, Chevrolet and GMC models will carry a 60,000-mile warranty instead. The five-year/100,000-mile warranty was intended to be a symbol of the company's new-found quality, and GM hoped it would lure new buyers. Now GM is saying the program wasn't as much of a selling point as it had hoped.

You can also say goodbye to the two years of free maintenance on Chevrolet, GMC, and Buick models. Those brands will drop to just two free service visits. Buyers will still get courtesy transportation and roadside assistance as part of the 60,000-mile warranty, however.

According to the report, GM plans to reinvest the savings it will see from the changes back into other retail programs.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

my speculation:

-cutting costs wherever they can, losing lots of money to recalls and lawsuits, need to make up for it somewhere. a 100k mile warranty can be expensive to provide.
-lots of new technology in lots of new power plants, no proven history of reliability yet
- + their fluff response about market research and how it doesn't entice buyers, and isn't necessary.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:07 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Entaille
my speculation:

-cutting costs wherever they can, losing lots of money to recalls and lawsuits, need to make up for it somewhere. a 100k mile warranty can be expensive to provide.
-lots of new technology in lots of new power plants, no proven history of reliability yet
- + their fluff response about market research and how it doesn't entice buyers, and isn't necessary.
From what I've heard, Kias 10 year powertrain warranty sure helped their sales. Not sure why a better warranty wouldn't help GM too. Maybe it just wasn't cost effective when all factors were considered.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Entaille
my speculation:

We purchased a little Buick Encore a few years ago and when I looked at the that little 1.4 turbo under the hood, the first words I said to my wife is that engine won't ever see 200k miles.

I really wonder what the long term reliability of direct injection and turbos will be.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Hmmm -- the new GM is starting to sound more and more like the old GM.

BTW, was at my Chevy dealership today, and the brightly lit showroom proved what the guys over at C7 General have been complaining about: the C7 does exhibit quite a lot of orange peel. The blue coupe I saw shared the show floor with a Sonic, Cruze, Spark, Malibu, Impala, Tahoe, Equinox and Trax, and all had much, much less orange peel than the Vette. Dealership also had a just-sold-and-detailed used C6 ZR1 (also blue), and it's paint was one helluva lot smoother than the C7's.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

C6 forever..
Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer
Hmmm -- the new GM is starting to sound more and more like the old GM.

BTW, was at my Chevy dealership today, and the brightly lit showroom proved what the guys over at C7 General have been complaining about: the C7 does exhibit quite a lot of orange peel. The blue coupe I saw shared the show floor with a Sonic, Cruze, Spark, Malibu, Impala, Tahoe, Equinox and Trax, and all had much, much less orange peel than the Vette. Dealership also had a just-sold-and-detailed used C6 ZR1 (also blue), and it's paint was one helluva lot smoother than the C7's.
The paint on my C6 (2000 CRM) is virtually perfect. There's no orange peel at all on the horizontal surfaces, and just a very minor bit on the rear quarter panels. You really have to look hard in the right light to see it.

But I've seen a couple C7s that really looked pretty bad. Don't think I'd but one like that for Vette prices. I guess if you order one, and it has orange peel, you're stuck with it unless you specified that up front.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

is there still a powertrain warranty, or just the 3 year 60k???
Old 03-12-2015, 09:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
is there still a powertrain warranty, or just the 3 year 60k???
The way I take it is the 3/36 bumper to bumper stays but the the 5/100k powertrain will be 5/60k after 2015.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:17 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Plain and simple, it costs too much and they figure scaling back won't hurt sales, they have lower cost incentives to drive demand, and unfortunately it likely won't be in the form of building better cars. They're tired of being on the hook for five years. Thats all. With that release, they are implying sales are below target, which sounds like BS. If that were true they'd be announcing revenue "misses" in their quarterly results over the last several quarters, I don't follow GM or their guidance all that closely but I seem to recall good results lately.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by v26278
Plain and simple, it costs too much and they figure scaling back won't hurt sales, they have lower cost incentives to drive demand, and unfortunately it likely won't be in the form of building better cars. They're tired of being on the hook for five years. Thats all. With that release, they are implying sales are below target, which sounds like BS. If that were true they'd be announcing revenue "misses" in their quarterly results over the last several quarters, I don't follow GM or their guidance all that closely but I seem to recall good results lately.
I agree. None of the stated reasons are the real reasons.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Over the decades car companies have jumped their warranties all over the place. I believe Chrysler was the first with a 50,000 mile and it was a huge deal back then as I recall. Other companies jumped on the bandwagon, then scaled back as costs and market pressures dictated. The trend will reverse at some point probably.

Seems like the jumping around is still going on, which is just the free market at work. Except, of course, GM or anybody else that was bailed out with taxpayer money is not operating in the free market.

Not that I'm trying to defend Obama Motors. I worked there from '77-'81 and it was a joke then, and is even a bigger joke now.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:36 PM
vettemerica
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
C6 forever..
Agreed, however while I like the looks of the C7, the cabin feels like a tight squeeze in comparison. I'm just over 6'3" and the seating position seems like it would get a little cramped on a long drive.

That probably wouldn't stop me from getting one, but...if I had the chance to buy a C7 Z06 vs. a C6 ZR1...that would be a majorly tough decision. ...I just don't know which way I'd go. I'd probably buy the ZR1 if it were less expensive.

By the time I'm able to afford either, though, I will probably be in the market for a C8...which undoubtedly will steal all hearts if it looks anything like in the concept images.

Last edited by vettemerica; 03-12-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

they probably want to sell more of the new GMEPPs, and charge more for the extra 40K mi's. of coverage...
why give it away when you can get folks to pay for it ?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Interesting..... wonder why the change? Is all the new technology less dependable?
Yes, between the electronic diff, the magnetic ride suspension, and the valve fouling problems due to the direct injection, All are going to be problems before the 100K mark, and would eat GM alive down the road having to replace such for free.

To add, looks like the Z07 is not all that is cracked up to be, and the Nismo in fact almost 2 seconds faster around Willow springs*. So even with all the new tech thrown at the C-7 in the Z07, it's still not getting the job done correctly.
*Base C-7, verses the base GT-R, is around 2 second slower around Top gears test track as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-13-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 AM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yes, between the electronic diff, the magnetic ride suspension, and the valve fouling problems due to the direct injection, All are going to be problems before the 100K mark, and would eat GM alive down the road having to replace such for free.

To add, looks like the Z07 is not all that is cracked up to be, and the Nismo in fact almost 2 seconds faster around Willow springs*. So even with all the new tech thrown at the C-7 in the Z07, it's still not getting the job done correctly.
*Base C-7, verses the base GT-R, is around 2 second slower around Top gears test track as well.

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. 2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo! - Head 2 Head Ep. 62 - YouTube
Troll hard.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The writing on the wall ain't encouraging!

Get notified of new replies

To GM drops warranty from 100,000 to 60,000 miles

Old 03-13-2015, 01:17 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That's a cool video, it didn't look like he was accelerating as hard with the Z. That car is soooo bad a$$, I love the C6, but that C7Z is the bomb.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 AM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me. Only Gm product I've bpught in the last 20 yrs is my 13'Gs last yr.. I'd never buy a Gm car as my daily driver. To me the majority of there cars are a POS and not reliable as foreign makers. Many will argue this but I've had GM in the past with problems and just after about 36k on them little things start to go. I've now bought all foreign for daily drives and they always been great since day one and with miles on them seem like the day I bought them...
Gm can keep there worthless cars. Only car they should make is the corvette.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

We purchased a little Buick Encore a few years ago and when I looked at the that little 1.4 turbo under the hood, the first words I said to my wife is that engine won't ever see 200k miles.
AND THEY JUST ISSUED ANOTHER RECALL AND YOUR ENCORE IS INCLUDED. Power train warranties are probably not where one would want to start to save money.I mean,in the real world,how often does an engine or tranny blow up these days when it has not been messes with buy the aftermarket?In which case it's not covered anyway!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM drops warranty from 100,000 to 60,000 miles