C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter vs. Callaway Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Shodan01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingenfelter vs. Callaway Systems

Hey all,

I posted this here because there is so much more traffic. Mod/Admin if it needs to be moved I apologize.

Callaway Chris has been very helpful along with some other vendors here on the forum in my quest to decide to install the Callaway system or go with a Maggie Supercharger elsewhere. I have heard a ton of others say what their preference would be.

My real question is the Callaway 600HP product vs. the Lingenfelter 630HP product. Same charger, but I presume most of the difference in cost is the exhaust and "Callaway" name. (Not saying its a bad thing).

I was just curious for those who have Lingenfelter systems, how do you like them? Removing feelings just saying:

1. Same Maggie Charger *unless I am wrong*
2. No exhaust on the Lingenfelter system
3. Various hood options with both
4. Both have upgraded fuel system delivery and all.
5. Callaway has better (more visible) badging (JMO)
6. Price - Callaway around 6,500 more.

Is there other differences I should consider?

Steve
Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A little different opinion offered here from me...Are you aware of the new supercharger from (I think) Edelbrock that fits under the stock hood?
Most of the SC hoods that I've seen (JMHO here...) look like the car has a big nose, and from an expense standpoint, not having to replace and paint the hood is going to save significant $$'s.
That said, both Lingenfelter and Callaway have outstanding reputations and years of experience with Corvettes and SC's. I don't think that you can go wrong with either of them -- and they are gong to stand behind their products if you do have a problem, from what I've heard.

Last edited by C6NRED; 01-02-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Shodan01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The Eldbrock system was a thought too. There are just so many choices to think about! My brain is getting dizzy.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shodan01
The Eldbrock system was a thought too. There are just so many choices to think about! My brain is getting dizzy.
I know what you mean. If you find a SC hood that you really DO like, that is going to make your decision easier, isn't it??
Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've noticed the Magnacharger and the centri superchargers are going down in price my guess is they all realize after all is said and done that the Edelbrock E-Force will be the one to have for a street driven car.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...chargers.shtml
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Shodan01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I dont mind the C16 hood. There are a few "sleeper" hoods that are not too gaudy. I have heard from other members the the Callaway CF hood is attractive in person, but I would need to see it.

The Z06 in black that they did looks hot (IMO) with the CF hood and wheels, but I have silver....wish I had photoshop and could see those options on mine
Old 01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Shodan01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have heard that Edelbrock has a warranty too - I think all seem like good products....hard to say.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I prefer the Callaway hood and let's face it, the name carries more cache. When talking to the average bystandard, there's a good chance they've heard of Callaway. Most will shrug when you name Lingenfelter.

I visited Lingenfelter as I was SURE I was going to ship them my car and have them install a Twin Turbo. In the end though, I went "local" due to cost and I wanted a mechanic close by that knew my car inside and out.

So, that's what I did. Instead of a Lingenfelter or a Callaway, I've got a "Buzz" (my nickname). I did it for HALF the cost also.

For me, the additional warranty that these two companies offer was not worth the $14,000 extra it would have cost.

My TT system cost $6,000 and I paid $1,000 to have it installed and tuned professionally here in town. That was a year ago and other than two oil changes, that's the last time my mechanic worked on the car. System runs perfectly.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Shodan01
I have heard that Edelbrock has a warranty too - I think all seem like good products....hard to say.
If the Edelbrock system was out a year ago, I might have gone with them vs. the STS Twin Turbo. Maybe. I like the system. However, I also like the STS remote mount as the engine bay looks so clean.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the full eval and went with LPE. Here is what it boils down to:

1. Both provide a 3/36 warranty but the Callaway warranty covers the powertrain, too, not just the engine and SC.

2. I could find no instances of the powertrain failing with responsible driving due to the Maggie so the warranties may not differ that much.

3. The Callaway does cost a bunch more and I could not rationalize the extra stuff and cost. I did not need or want anything beyond the SC install.

4. Both have stellar reputations and the extra cost is justified if you want 1. above. They will do it right the first time. However, if you have a local guy you trust, you can do this a whole lot cheaper.

5. If I were to buy a new Vette I might go with Callaway because of the complete warranty and the ability to buy from one of the Callaway dealers.

Larry
Old 01-02-2010, 02:29 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After watching this, http://www.edelbrocktv.com/video_detail.php?mId=11030 , I'm thinking this would be the way to go. 550 - 599 hp, you don't loose your warranty, and you can keep your stock hood, for the sleeper effect.

Last edited by calmtgguy; 01-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-02-2010, 02:35 PM
knkali
Melting Slicks

the edlebrock only fits the LS3 so us LS2 guys are out of luck

Lingenfelter will not do anything to a car registered in Caliornia BTW
Old 01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
the edlebrock only fits the LS3 so us LS2 guys are out of luck

Lingenfelter will not do anything to a car registered in Caliornia BTW
Yes, that's too bad.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
After watching this, http://www.edelbrocktv.com/video_detail.php?mId=11030 , I'm thinking this would be the way to go. 550 - 599 hp, you don't loose your warranty, and you can keep your stock hood, for the sleeper effect.
That IS an impressive video. AND an available 5 year 100K warranty too? It sounds like they certainly have confidence in their product. And it comes supplied with the tune you can download!
Overall, very impressive looking and sounding. Has anyone heard how much the Eldebrock systems are going to be?

Last edited by C6NRED; 01-02-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6NRED
That IS an impressive video. AND an available 5 year 100K warranty too? It sounds like they certainly have confidence in their product. And it comes supplied with the tune you can download!
Overall, very impressive looking and sounding.
I would have never thought about messing up my cherry, stock, new Vette, but this has me thinking. I could have my local Chevy dealer install this unit, I've seen them do it before, with other s/c units, on new Vettes, and if it wouldn't kill my warranty, for about $6,500 installed, that could be pretty cool.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...edelbrock+1590

Summit Racing has a similar deal

both are a $120.00 shipping

Get notified of new replies

To Lingenfelter vs. Callaway Systems

Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Default I could be down for one of these.

Originally Posted by bosco 08
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...edelbrock+1590

Summit Racing has a similar deal

both are a $120.00 shipping
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...pb/pdf/1-2.pdf
Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
RaceyJnK
7th Gear

One thing I considered when I bought my Callaway was resale maybe 15-20 yrs from now. Some of the early Callaway vettes bring pretty good money, just because of the name. Also, my dealer, Performance Chevy called me when they took this car in on trade. It was 5-6 months old with 1200 miles on it, the first owner took the big hit and it saved me over 20k! Its ok, he is a rich guy! He ordered a GS that I was told will be sent to Callaway. Most of my life I was and still am a pontiac guy, so if u told me u had a 68 GTO that had a Royal Bobcat kit installed by Royal Pontiac I would be all over it! So sometimes a aftermarket name means alot to some and boosts the value that is hard to understand. After test driving the Callaway, it was so brutally fast it made my my 07 feel like a V6!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
I prefer the Callaway hood and let's face it, the name carries more cache. When talking to the average bystandard, there's a good chance they've heard of Callaway. Most will shrug when you name Lingenfelter.
I visited Lingenfelter as I was SURE I was going to ship them my car and have them install a Twin Turbo. In the end though, I went "local" due to cost and I wanted a mechanic close by that knew my car inside and out.

So, that's what I did. Instead of a Lingenfelter or a Callaway, I've got a "Buzz" (my nickname). I did it for HALF the cost also.

For me, the additional warranty that these two companies offer was not worth the $14,000 extra it would have cost.

My TT system cost $6,000 and I paid $1,000 to have it installed and tuned professionally here in town. That was a year ago and other than two oil changes, that's the last time my mechanic worked on the car. System runs perfectly.

Callaway is certainly one of the premier names in Corvette performance but I respectfully disagree their name "carries more cache." It may with the "average bystander" but not with those who know about cars and in particular about Corvette performance. I prefer a fully built naturally aspirated powerplant but IMHO when it comes to forced induction I don't think you could do any better than either Callaway or Lingenfelter. While to the best of my knowledge Callaway limits themselves to FI applications (and 'appearance' modifications), LPE does it all with respect to engine performance...both NA and FI. When it comes to NA applications I submit the premier names are Katech and Lingenfelter. To the best of my knowledge Katech doesn't do FI applications.

Again, I prefer a fully forged, NA engine (especially for what I do with my car) but IMO both Lingenfelter and Callaway are at the top of the food chain with respect to FI applications. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these well regarded names in Corvette performance!

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter vs. Callaway Systems