C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
N8N8N8
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise

I been hearing alot of difference either way. What do you think is better performance wise. C6 vet or viper

Ty
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N8N8N8
I been hearing alot of difference either way. What do you think is better performance wise. C6 vet or viper

Ty
Pure performance? The Viper is probably going to win on most counts. Being able to actually live with the car and really enjoy driving it each and every day = without a doubt, Corvette wins hands down.
The Viper is a raw, elemental, all-out, win or go home, brutal, monster of a car.
The Corvette is close to the Viper's performance, has traction and handling control to keep you safe, and is an actual street car that can race occasionally, not a race car that can occasionally be driven on the street...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

If you're talking a bout a new base C6 vs a new Viper it' s not even close. Z06-Viper is close with probably an edge to the Viper (straight line).
Old 01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Ah...

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Pure performance? The Viper is probably going to win on most counts. Being able to actually live with the car and really enjoy driving it each and every day = without a doubt, Corvette wins hands down.
The Viper is a raw, elemental, all-out, win or go home, brutal, monster of a car.
The Corvette is close to the Viper's performance, has traction and handling control to keep you safe, and is an actual street car that can race occasionally, not a race car that can occasionally be driven on the street...
What he said... as a DD...I would not trade...A Viper is fun to drive... but if you see them for sale.. they ALL have low miles...cause it is not a good DD.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I saw one yesterday pulling out of a parking stall and as soon as he saw me he revved it up and looked at me with a smile. I think he wanted to play!

A Viper versus a stock Corvette isn't a very fair fight IMHO. The Viper is about twice the cost and packs quite a bit more horsepower.

San
Old 01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

I have had C5 and C6 Vettes, and currently have 3 Vipers (92, 06 and 09--10 ACR on order)

If you are talking performance as previously stated a stock C6 and current Viper are not in the same stratosphere (heck my 09 CTS-V 4 door has got more power than a base C6)

If you want a great sports car, that can be used as a daily driver that gets looks BUT you can still park it at Best Buy, a C6 Vette is the best deal on the planet.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by saplumr
If you're talking a bout a new base C6 vs a new Viper it' s not even close. Z06-Viper is close with probably an edge to the Viper (straight line).
...and I may add that we are not talking base Viper when compared to the Z06...it would have to be the Viper ACR (dead even to 60 and a tenth off on the 1/4)...depending on which mag you read...lol.

Red Cell.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Cell
...and I may add that we are not talking base Viper when compared to the Z06...it would have to be the Viper ACR (dead even to 60 and a tenth off on the 1/4)...depending on which mag you read...lol.

Red Cell.
Beg to differ I have owned both a Z06 and Viper. A Gen 4 (2008-2009 600HP) Viper (base not ACR) will out perform a Z with no problem. The new ACRs and ZR-1 are close with a lot of mags giving the edge to the ACR. The ACR just set the track record at Laguna Seca. Hey, and I am a Vette fan.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
cratica
Melting Slicks

Actually a base Viper and Z06 are fairly close, Viper having an edge due to the HP advantage. The base Viper handles incredibly well. The ACR and the Z06 is not as close and the edge def goes to the Viper.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Cell

Red Cell.
The base Viper has 100hp and 100tq on the Z but it probably weighs 200lbs more.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
Beg to differ I have owned both a Z06 and Viper. A Gen 4 (2008-2009 600HP) Viper (base not ACR) will out perform a Z with no problem. The new ACRs and ZR-1 are close with a lot of mags giving the edge to the ACR. The ACR just set the track record at Laguna Seca. Hey, and I am a Vette fan.
I'm getting my information from the most recent edition of Road and Track (the one where the GS loses out the the BMW in drifting...wtf?). Anyway, if you turn to page 110, you'll see that the Viper ACR recorded a 0-60 of 3.4 seconds. The 1/4 came in at 11.6 seconds. The Z06 was recorded a 0-60 of 3.4 seconds and a 1/4 of 11.7 seconds (note: I should have added that the base Viper has the exact same stat's as the Z06 as well-my bad).

I've never owned a Viper ('would like to) and I don't profess to know more than my original comment. This is just one mag's findings (it may be speculative) and I was sharing it with the OP. I guess it would come down to "what is performance?" and I'm sure most will agree that the Viper has the overall edge.

...note...the ZR1 stat's are 11.4 on the 1/4 with 0-60 at 3.3.

Red Cell.

Last edited by Red Cell; 01-02-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Z06 and Base Viper are so close that it would almost always come down to the driver in a race...especially on the street/highway. I considered both, and went with the Z06 because it's so much more practical as a street car. Good storage area in the back. Less cabin roar. Less $.

The Viper ACR is certainly aimed at the ZR1, and that's another close competition.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
Z06 and Base Viper are so close that it would almost always come down to the driver in a race...especially on the street/highway. I considered both, and went with the Z06 because it's so much more practical as a street car. Good storage area in the back. Less cabin roar. Less $.

The Viper ACR is certainly aimed at the ZR1, and that's another close competition.
The Viper does nothing for me. Impractical car for the money and body style is outdated.

Last edited by Marc V.; 01-03-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Shelbyvette
Instructor

I've heard they won't be around next year. (2011)
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman

I think it's the other way around...the ZR1 was aimed at the Viper. IMO it was a corporate pi$$ing contest...GM's quest to retake the horse power crown from Dodge/Viper. GM resorted to forced induction (versus going head-to-head with NA power) but for what they wanted to accomplish a win's a win!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
jerseyz
Instructor

Default viper vs vette

based on raw horsepower the viper wins but for fun and pleasure i'll take the vette. sold the c5 bought a prowler of all things traded the prowler for a viper. it was an early 1 i don't remember the year or model , but it was noisy cramped, and hot. at stops it rattled so much i thought the mirrors would fall off as i remember no traction control or abs. targa top so had to be careful of rain. i'd be afraid to take it out on a wet day anyway heavy clutch hard to shift. ok in a straight line but...i couldn't wait to trage it for a white c5 vert.i've tried porsches even an aston marten but always come back to vettes.i'm sure they've improved the viper.but it's still no vette
Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 AM
slorp train
Instructor

Ive owned both. The only way to describe a viper is angry. Its a blast to drive but after the novelty wears off you find that you only drive it when you have a purpose to drive it. Its a race car with a license plate.

Get notified of new replies

To How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise

Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shelbyvette
I've heard they won't be around next year. (2011)
True. Recall they did not make an 07. The "current" plan is a run of 3 or so limited edition Vipers in 2010 which they have not begun yet (except for the 2010 ACR that set the Laguna Seca record a a couple of weeks ago)

They will make a "final 50 " version which I have 1 on order. Fiat is saying they will come out with a new Viper in 2012 but things are so screwed up with Dodge I count on nothing.

Guys are hoping Fiat uses some parts from another brand they own, Ferrari ,on the new Viper--I hope not.

I have an 09 and I think it was an old time production low--some still sit on lots. It was never a high production car which is a major reason it still gets so much attention. I think they may want to let it die--which might be good for me--I own a 92--VIN 00002--second one ever made.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
porschebreath
Racer

I was just reading a comparison in an old 2005 Corvette Magazine. They gave the win to the 05 Vette for, livability, drivability,quality and how the car delivers performance to the pavement. The Viper does not have traction control. It is a beast that is difficult to control. The base vette is not that far behind in 0-60. They did give the Viper the win in the looks department though.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by porschebreath
I was just reading a comparison in an old 2005 Corvette Magazine. They gave the win to the 05 Vette for, livability, drivability,quality and how the car delivers performance to the pavement. The Viper does not have traction control. It is a beast that is difficult to control. The base vette is not that far behind in 0-60. They did give the Viper the win in the looks department though.
I had an 05 and would generally agree with them (though I am not sure who they were using on the 0-60 clock)

The Viper being a "beast" to control is way overblown at least from model 2003 to present. It is a carryover from the Gen 1 and somewhat from Gen 2. I had 2 Gen 1s and 1 Gen 2. Gen 1s were an amusement park ride--a handful for sure.

The new ones have drive by wire, wonderful trannys etc. They were never measnt to have traction control which is one of the things I like about them. (they did give into NAV which I hate)

My wife routinely drives one of our Vipers--no problem. You just have to respect all that torque and remember it is there.

Quick Reply: How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise