C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparison: 08 Z51 Coupe vs 09 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:12 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Comparison: 08 Z51 Coupe vs 09 Z06

So I took my new Z out for a drive today and got enough seat time that I can now write my comparison between it and my 08 Coupe that I traded in for it.

First a little background on my cars:

My old car was a 2008 base coupe with the Z51 suspension package. I also had the NPP exhaust, glass top and comp grey wheels. Had the base 1LT interior trim. Really a nice car and I know I'm going to miss it.
The car was mostly stock except for a 1/4 inch tunnel plate I added. My new car is a 2009 Z06 with the 2LZ trim level. No mods, 100% stock. So how does the new Z match up to my 08 Z51 Coupe and was the trade up
worth it ???

Here's my comparison between the two. Some of you may disagree but then again this is my impression of the differences between the two cars. Comparison is based on my favorite strip of highway by my house. It's a long curvy up hill stretch of road which, depending on traffic, allows me to really test the handling and open up the cars. Hopefully this will help those who are on the fence about getting a Z and have concerns doing the trade up.

1. Appearance - Z wins hand down. Love the look of my old car with the comp grey wheels and glass top but the aggressive stance and wide body on the Z are amazing.

2. Steering - Again advantage Z06 but I do have to make a comment here. The Z is more responsive and turns in immediately. It also has more feel to it. On the downside, the Z tends to follow road imperfections more than my 08. I have to keep my hand on the wheel more and make more corrections in the Z than in my 08 Coupe. I'm contributing this to the much wider tires but it did get my attention.

3. Power - well DUH!!! LOL!!! Of course the Z has more power but it also has a boat load of torque which I love!!!! I'm still taking it easy on the car but you can feel that this thing just wants to rip!!! My 08 Coupe wasn't slow by any means. Biggest difference I've noticed between the two is the throttle response. The 08 had kind of a lag to it, like the electronic throttle and the gas weren't quite in sink. A tune probably would have fixed this. On the Z, the response is the best of any electronic throttle driven cars I've had or drove. No tune necessary.

4. Handling - Again advantage Z06. It just plain sticks!!! My 08 Coupe had the Z51 suspension package so it was an excellent handler as well. One thing with the Z is you have to remember it's a wider car. Because of that the 08 felt a little more nimble or tossable than the Z. Once I get more comfortable with the Z I'm sure this impression will change.

5. Ride Quality - now here is a category where it's a tie. Reason being is my 08 Coupe had the Z51 suspension package and a 1/4 inch tunnel plate which made the car very stiff. The Z06 also has a stiff ride which ironically is very similar to my old car. Neither car was too harsh for a daily driver for my taste though. Now I can't compare the Z to the other suspension options for the Vette so this is the one area of performance where it's really up to personal preference. If you can't stand a stiff performance ride then the Z is not for you.

6. Shifting/Trans - hands down the Z06. The shifter in my 08 Coupe felt like a rod in a box of rocks. Add to that the fact that you couldn't get the car in second gear until it was fully warmed up gives the victory to the Z06. The shifter in the Z is more direct, has better feel and I can shift into second without a problem, even when the car is cold. The 08 was so bad that had I kept the car it would have gone back to the dealer for the problem.

7. Brakes/Braking - Again the advantage goes to the Z06. One thing though, the brakes on the Z seem grabby when compared to the 08 Coupe.

8. Noise/comfort - Toss up here again. My 08 had the NPP exhaust and I pulled the fuse so the exhaust was full bore all the time. It was loud, burbbled and popped all the time. Music to my ears!!!! I loved it but others might not. With the NPP exhaust operating like it should the 08 Coupe was a quiet comfortable cruiser. The Z06 is very comfortable which surprised me. I expected a little loss in comfort due to the high level of performance this car is capable of but I would have no problem jumping in the car and taking a trip in it. You do get a little more mechanical noise than the 08 but with the radio on your not going to notice it. One thing though, I pulled the fuse on the Z06 exhaust and that f....... is LOUD!!! It's a deeper tone than the NPP but it resonates more through the car than the NPP did. Pretty crazy!!!!!

So here's my summary. My 08 was my first Vette and an amazing machine. It opened my eyes to how good the Corvette really is in the base form. It's a comfortable car, very easily driven every day, offers a high level of performance and to cap it all off gets excellent gas milage. I really enjoyed the car and will miss it a lot. So much so that if I hit the lottery I'll hunt the car down and buy it back again. The Z06 just takes every thing to a whole new level. It's truely an amazing machine. I feel very lucky and blessed to be able to own such a car. Never thought it would happen. So for those of you who are on the fence about getting one, this is my advice. Ask yourself two things: Can I deal with the performance ride and more importantly, can I live with out the removable top. If you answer yes to those two questions get the Z, you will not regret it!!!!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eloquently said.

But my wife will remind me about the missing targa feature we once had.

Red Cell.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Red Cell
Eloquently said.

But my wife will remind me about the missing targa feature we once had.

Red Cell.
I hear ya!!! That's the one feature I know I'm going to miss. Shame GM couldn't figure out a way to give us a removable top option. I know it's cost related and it is what it is. Or if not a removable top at least a pop up/removable sunroof would have been nice.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:36 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJim
I hear ya!!! That's the one feature I know I'm going to miss. Shame GM couldn't figure out a way to give us a removable top option. I know it's cost related and it is what it is. Or if not a removable top at least a pop up/removable sunroof would have been nice.
actually i think its more performance related....additional stability added to the z06 with a solid roof.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
actually i think its more performance related....additional stability added to the z06 with a solid roof.
True, but a pop up removable sunroof would have left the roof frame intact. Doesn't matter and I'm not turning this thread into "the Z06 should have had a removable roof" thread. The Z doesn't have one and that's a fact, doesn't matter what the reason is.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 PM
dabmeister
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A machine with an aluminum frame and massive amounts of torque, of course they're going to put a solid roof on it.

But it would be nice if the Z did sport a removable top.

Congrads on your upgrade.

Last edited by dabmeister; 01-16-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by GTJim
GM will tell you that's why they made the GS, but we know it's kind of a 'tweener of the two cars.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Great write-up, thanks for taking the time to post and share. Have fun with your Z.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Jim
True, but a pop up removable sunroof would have left the roof frame intact. Doesn't matter and I'm not turning this thread into "the Z06 should have had a removable roof" thread. The Z doesn't have one and that's a fact, doesn't matter what the reason is.
It wouldn't be a Z06 if it had come from the factory with a removable top.

Excellent writeup BTW, and I certainly concur.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

In the end, 75 HP and about $20+K.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
BD Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also went from a 2008 coupe with Z51, NPP, etc to a 2009 Z06. While I think that the coupe is a better value for what you get for the money, the Z06 out performs the LS3 and is so much more fun in my opinion. Yes, I do miss the removable roof but not enough to want to switch back...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also just upgraded from a 2007 Coupe w/F55 to a 2009 Z06. I haven't passed the break-in period yet but your comments are exactly my initial impressions. Can't wait to get past 500 miles.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:54 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
It wouldn't be a Z06 if it had come from the factory with a removable top.

Excellent writeup BTW, and I certainly concur.
What I find so amazing about the Z is that it's so civil and comfortable but offers such a high level of performance. I was expecting to have to make some sacrifices in terms of comfort but that's not the case. I can't wait to get more seat time!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I test drove a Z last fall and it's still available. My seat time was brief and the only negative I noted was the squeeze put on the rear vision by the built-in support in the roof interior. I never thought the ride was too harsh or squirrley--great car. In retrospect, I never had the clear top off much last summer so not sure if that's a factor or not. Good observations!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gmccreary
I also just upgraded from a 2007 Coupe w/F55 to a 2009 Z06. I haven't passed the break-in period yet but your comments are exactly my initial impressions. Can't wait to get past 500 miles.
Ditto, Spring can't get here fast enough!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Traded my C6 08 for a 09 Z06 too..

My impressions are pretty much the same. Many of the differences are subtle, but when added together for the entire package the difference is fairly dramatic.

One thing I've decided about this car. I WILL NOT WORRY ABOUT PUTTING MILES ON IT! You only live once, and while some future Barrett/Jackson buyer might appreciate me not driving the car, I won't be alive then and on my death bed I won't be lamenting about driving the Z06 too much.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made the same move and I agree 100% on all points. In addition, my 09 Z has a lot less popping and creaking noise. Obviously due to the solid top. Since I never took the top out of the 08 coupe, I don't really miss that feature and the Z seems like a better built car. Creaks, squeaks, and rattles drive me nuts.

Get notified of new replies

To Comparison: 08 Z51 Coupe vs 09 Z06

Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
My impressions are pretty much the same. Many of the differences are subtle, but when added together for the entire package the difference is fairly dramatic.

One thing I've decided about this car. I WILL NOT WORRY ABOUT PUTTING MILES ON IT! You only live once, and while some future Barrett/Jackson buyer might appreciate me not driving the car, I won't be alive then and on my death bed I won't be lamenting about driving the Z06 too much.
Oh I plan to enjoy this car!!! I have a ton of mods I want to do but just don't have the money. New wheels/tires, carbon fiber ZR1 front and rear spoiler, custom FRC's, some interior upgrades, and the list goes on and on.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
And EVERY penny
Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Owning the real deal Z06, American Supercar with the (very likely) last 427ci motor.......priceless

Quick Reply: Comparison: 08 Z51 Coupe vs 09 Z06