C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn will not turn off. Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 03:43 PM
buffguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horn will not turn off. Need some help.

My horn has been blasting constantly and will not stop. I tried the remote but it will not stop. I finally got it to stop and while driving the car the horn came back on. The sound is constant horn, not like the like the panic horn sound. As if someone is holding down the horn button. I had to pull the fuse and took the car to the dealer. The light do not turn on or blink while this happens. You would not know the horn noise is coming from my car unless you were next to it. They took apart my steering wheel and are trying to find a solution.

Has anyone have this happen to them or know the fix? I don't want the dealer disassembling the car to not find a fix. I don't know if water somehow gotten into the car and created this problem. It been raining hard here in california.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Wightmn
Instructor

When I picked mine up at the dealer, a similar thing happened. At the final detail before delivery, somebody ran a pressure washer across the engine. Water got into the fuse box. Once everything dried out a day later, things were fine. Pull the fuse and blow out as much moisture as possible.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Sometimes the steering wheel switch will fail and short out. Not a common problem but dealers should be familiar with solving this type of problem which goes back to when cars first got electric horns with a switch mounted in the steering wheel.

Bill
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
buffguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Wightmn
When I picked mine up at the dealer, a similar thing happened. At the final detail before delivery, somebody ran a pressure washer across the engine. Water got into the fuse box. Once everything dried out a day later, things were fine. Pull the fuse and blow out as much moisture as possible.

Good luck.
Dealer said the fuse box blew out and now they are replacing the whole fuse box. I think my problem is similar to yours. I should have let the fuse box dry out instead of bringing it to the dealer and having them tear everything apart.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Fuse box "Blew Out"....interesting...never heard a fuse box described that way. Tire, yes, fuse box, no.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ???

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sometimes the steering wheel switch will fail and short out. Not a common problem but dealers should be familiar with solving this type of problem which goes back to when cars first got electric horns with a switch mounted in the steering wheel.

Bill
What about a horn relay, you can test the power wire to the relay and determine if steering wheel switch is bad; then if not go to other things? Sounds to me dealer does not know how to trouble shoot EASY things, I would hate to see HARD things. I would find another dealer, probably too late now!

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 01-22-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Tri-Tip
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I had that happen on my C5. Had it at the dealer twice, but it would happen at random times. Drove around for 2 years without a horn...probably kept me from pissing off a lot of other drivers.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Trial and error!

Originally Posted by Tri-Tip
I had that happen on my C5. Had it at the dealer twice, but it would happen at random times. Drove around for 2 years without a horn...probably kept me from pissing off a lot of other drivers.
We use to buy those large horn buttons and mount them on the steering column and run wires from fuse block to the switch, then the horn relay, then if half to, replace wires from relay to horn until works with switch. Yes, sometimes the wire and circuit in the steering column for some reason just quits working. Most of the techs these days are basically "light bulb changers" with todays electronics, they cannot really trouble shoot problems, just substitute parts until something works. Throw away maintenance today because of chips and printed circuit boards.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

Not sure is the fuse box was blown out, or they blew it out with air, and it did not fix it.. but.. it does not sound right. Most people don't know that the horns are hot, and that it is ground that is switched.. so water CAN complete ground... Sounds like a lot of $$$ for a fuse box...that you may not have needed.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Sorry, correction.

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Not sure is the fuse box was blown out, or they blew it out with air, and it did not fix it.. but.. it does not sound right. Most people don't know that the horns are hot, and that it is ground that is switched.. so water CAN complete ground... Sounds like a lot of $$$ for a fuse box...that you may not have needed.
You stand corrected, the "switched" part is the ground to the horn relay (Micro Relay #34 in engine fuse block) which controls the horns because they are usually a large current draw and would burn out normal switches. Horns are usually mounted to and grounded out to the chassic and the hot side goes to the horn relay (Micro Relay #34) which is controlled by the ground circuit from the steering wheel. It just depends if the horn is made out of metal or plastic on how it is grounded, chassic or wire. Fuse #2 in the engine fuse box controls the horn relay in the engine fuse block, Micro Relay #34.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
0I-Kandy
Former Vendor

Default Horn blows

Had this happen a lot if the detailer gets too crazy pressure washing under the hood, also had it happen with a 07 Z charging up the battery using the terminal on the under hood fuse box was raining lightly the following day the daytime running lights wouldn't turn off and the horn wouldn't stop blaring, tried to blow out fuse box, nothing, had to remove fuse box and blow out from the backside and the plugs that bolt into the f-box, put it all back together no more problems....
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Isn't the horn relay a more likely culprit than the fuse box ?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

O.K. - a funny story. Some friends of ours have one of those Explorer Tracs (about 7 y.o.). The horn will go off when they least expect it.

If it happens while they are behind someone at a stoplight (or similar), they'll look out the side window, and act like they're waiving to someone.

They say it really sucks when it happens while they're behind a police car.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 01-23-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Wightmn

Good luck.
Same thing here I power washed under the hood. Which I have a few
times before and the horn came on when I came home. I unhooked the
battery till the next day. All was fine!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Same thing here I power washed under the hood. Which I have a few
times before and the horn came on when I came home. I unhooked the
battery till the next day. All was fine!
I used to power wash under the hood of my IROC-Z. I had a couple of similar problems with electrical connections failing (not the horn though). It was a TPI motor, and port fuel injection was new at the time. Fortunately for me, it was still under warranty.

The dealer's technician told me not to use a power washer (or car wash) or it would happen again. He said a garden hose would be much less risky, and don't be doing it too often. So about once a year, I'll spray a little simple green on the engine / compartment, and hose it off with a garden hose. It looks plenty clean and no electrical gremlins. :
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Convience!

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Isn't the horn relay a more likely culprit than the fuse box ?
Horn relay on C6 just happens to be located in the engine fuse box. It is easy to get to and is not hidden. Fuse box is not the problem unless fuse is blown or water inside, it just convinent to locate relay there.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:12 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default ... addition,

I used to power wash under the hood of my IROC-Z. I had a couple of similar problems with electrical connections failing (not the horn though). It was a TPI motor, and port fuel injection was new at the time. Fortunately for me, it was still under warranty.

The dealer's technician told me not to use a power washer (or car wash) or it would happen again. He said a garden hose would be much less risky, and don't be doing it too often. So about once a year, I'll spray a little simple green on the engine / compartment, and hose it off with a garden hose. It looks plenty clean and no electrical gremlins. :
...in addition; use a VERY low pressure fine water spray QUICKLY and do NOT stay on any component for long, then take a leaf blower and blow out under the hood at ALL ANGLES. I have not had any probems and have been doing this for decades.

I have even taken corroded (battery leak) electonics (radios, etc.) and gently washed area with light water spray after carefully removing large chunks of corrosion and gently washing out and drying with HIGH blower speed from a hair dryer on LOW heat. Sometimes use a tooth brush to help. Just make sure everything is absolutely dry before reenergizing. I even put small items next to refrigator heat exhaust for a day or two to get ALL moisture out. Any low heat source over time will solve the moisture problem, just make sure to blow out all the moisture very thourghly, blowing won't hurt it, but moisture will.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

thanks C6keller - that makes sense on the fuse box.

Agree on the leaf blower too AND agree on the elecronics. When people get water in an electronic device, they might be tempted to energize it to see if it works - which probably finished it off . As you say, if one will dry it out real good, and wait to energize, often no harm is done.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 01-24-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Your welcome!

thanks C6keller - that makes sense on the fuse box.

Agree on the leaf blower too AND agree on the elecronics. When people get water in an electronic device, they might be tempted to energize it to see if it works - which probably finished it off . As you say, if one will dry it out real good, and wait to energize, often no harm is done.

Your welcome!

Get notified of new replies

To Horn will not turn off. Need some help.

Quick Reply: Horn will not turn off. Need some help.