C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted Windows and auto-dimming mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Iwasachief
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Windows and auto-dimming mirror

Whatare thoughts on tinted windows and auto-dimming mirrors? Is there an issue, like how are the mirrors at night? Can you see the traffic behind with the windows tinted and the mirrors dimmed? Are the mirrors always dimmed because of the window tinting?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Typically the tinted windows reduces the light coming in and the dimming feature does not function...at least that's my experience. And yes you can still see traffic behind you without the mirrors dimming...
Old 01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately, tinting the rear window is a necessary evil since my vehicle is black and it will assist in hiding items in the cargo area from view. One of the first things I noticed is that it will affect the auto-dimming of the mirrors. The mirrors are suppose to dim when headlights behind you hit the sensor. I believe the sensor is in the rearview mirror, so the side mirrors will tend not to dim until the vehicle starts to come along side you (if they dim at all). I do find it a little difficult driving at night with vehicles approaching from the rear and trying to find them in the rearview mirror.

Last edited by Rossi6998; 01-23-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:54 AM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I have limousine tint on the rear glass. it is hard to see out back during the day, but it keeps the car cooler. auto dimmer will not or need to work at night
Old 01-24-2010, 05:37 AM
gtovett
Racer

I have 5% on my back window and the mirror doesn't dim as much as it did when I had no tint, but the tint isn't enough to make up for what the mirror does when it does actually tint. Is there no way to make the mirror dim even if it doesn't think it needs to? Many times I need to make it tint manually. The tint is throwing off the sensor I believe.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I have 15% on sides and rear, no issues at all seeing other cars around me.

Now backing out of the driveway at night with no lights behind me is a different story; I have to lower my window to see the curb in my side mirror.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes i have 5% on the sides and rear, while having 35% whole windshield done. Have to roll down the windows at night to back out of the garage. In the day time no problem seeing at all.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

No problem here.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
I have limousine tint on the rear glass. it is hard to see out back during the day, but it keeps the car cooler. auto dimmer will not or need to work at night
What he said is correct, I have Limo as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just an FYI from the Service Manual.

There are two sensor mounted in the inside rear view mirror, One in the front and one in the back.

The one in the front senses ambient light and the one in the back, obviously senses headlights hitting from behind.

The mirror is dimmed accordingly and this function is disabled when you are in reverse, at night.

The driver's side outside mirror is also controlled with this system.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Tint reduces the light hitting the sensor (on rear view mirror in the cabin) that triggers the dimming function. If a proper size lens were placed over the sensor that would collect and focus more light onto the sensor, it would function normally. What size lens is the question. Too big a lens and the mirrors would dim with very little light. Also, lens size (light gathering ability) would need to vary with the darkness of tint. 95% small lens, 05% bigger lens. Opportunity for a vendor here, IMHO.

On the other hand, if door and rear glass are tinted at the same level, auto dimming function activates when the light hitting the sensor gets bright enough (factory setting). My windows are tinted and I don't have many issues with when my rear view auto dims, although it is rare that it does. I sometimes wish that it would dim a little sooner. If the rear window is tinted darker than the doors, the auto dim will not activate soon enough and the headlight reflection in the drivers door mirror will appear to be excessively bright do to the auto dim not being active until the light coming through the rear window get bright enough.

Last edited by CGZO6; 01-24-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

I have limo all around and my mirrors dim every time its dark out. Being I have tinted windows I just hold down the button on the rear view mirror to turn off the feature then the mirrors are like normal. The tint masks headlights at night so auto dim feature isnt needed.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

i have 15 on back and sides and 35 on whole front.

its dims a little less, but you need it to dim a little elss becasue the widows darken the headlights

I find it mroe annoying that my headlights like to come on early casue the front tint.

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted Windows and auto-dimming mirror

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows and auto-dimming mirror