C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody tried this kind of OBD scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Default Anybody tried this kind of OBD scanner?

Read many posts on what is best scan tool but haven't read any about the USB interfce cables that connect to your laptop. About 20 bucks on fleabay and come with CD of diagnostic software programs.

I don't think it is that big of a deal to bring a laptop outside for the occasional need to run diagnostics. Anybody tried one...and is the included software any good?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

I have heard good things about using a laptop as an obd reader. They do work well.

I almost went that route, but I got a good deal on a dedicated reader.

M...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are getting. I find it hard to believe that you can buy anything that will even just read codes on OBD-II CAN BUS compliant cars (like a modern Vette) for $20. As for doing actual diagnostics....no way.

I have a dedicated OBD/OBD-II/OBD-II CAN Bus compliant scanner - this type of tool allows you to read codes on the powertrain module, monitor about a dozen sensors 'live', log the sensors, and graph a single sensor. If another module has a problem (ABS, SRS, etc.,) you are out of luck. It can not see most of the OEM sensors, it can not command any outputs, and even that costs about $250.00

I also have software that runs on a laptop, connects through the USB port. This software does all the generic OBD-II/CAN BUS that the above unit does but you can also buy specific enhancements for a particular manufacturer that allows you to talk to any module on the car, see/monitor all the OEM sensors, command all outputs, log data, graph, etc. This is what I would consider a tool that allows you to do 'diagnostics'. Base software + enhanced coverage for 1 manufacturer is around $500.

Remember that a code reader does just that - only reads codes. It will cost less, but it can't monitor the sensors, which is useless when doing diagnostics. A scanner will allow some visibility to sensors, but most consumer type products I see only report a handful of generic OBD-II mandated sensors. The OEM coverage stuff gets expensive fast

My point is, I doubt you get anything truly useful for $20.

If all you want to do is read the codes, most auto parts places will do that for free.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
Make sure you know EXACTLY what you are getting. I find it hard to believe that you can buy anything that will even just read codes on OBD-II CAN BUS compliant cars (like a modern Vette) for $20. As for doing actual diagnostics....no way.

I have a dedicated OBD/OBD-II/OBD-II CAN Bus compliant scanner - this type of tool allows you to read codes on the powertrain module, monitor about a dozen sensors 'live', log the sensors, and graph a single sensor. If another module has a problem (ABS, SRS, etc.,) you are out of luck. It can not see most of the OEM sensors, it can not command any outputs, and even that costs about $250.00

I also have software that runs on a laptop, connects through the USB port. This software does all the generic OBD-II/CAN BUS that the above unit does but you can also buy specific enhancements for a particular manufacturer that allows you to talk to any module on the car, see/monitor all the OEM sensors, command all outputs, log data, graph, etc. This is what I would consider a tool that allows you to do 'diagnostics'. Base software + enhanced coverage for 1 manufacturer is around $500.

Remember that a code reader does just that - only reads codes. It will cost less, but it can't monitor the sensors, which is useless when doing diagnostics. A scanner will allow some visibility to sensors, but most consumer type products I see only report a handful of generic OBD-II mandated sensors. The OEM coverage stuff gets expensive fast

My point is, I doubt you get anything truly useful for $20.

If all you want to do is read the codes, most auto parts places will do that for free.
Actually, $500 sound's dirt cheap for the type of equipment you've just described. I've got an Auto X-Ray 6000 that does what I need it to do, with computer interface, real time monitoring and such. Think these are about $400 buck's, but got it on a trade up deal from an older model. Paid for itself many time's over, though.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Actually, $500 sound's dirt cheap for the type of equipment you've just described. I've got an Auto X-Ray 6000 that does what I need it to do, with computer interface, real time monitoring and such. Think these are about $400 buck's, but got it on a trade up deal from an older model. Paid for itself many time's over, though.
Yes...and no. The $500 buys you the base softwate and coverage for 1 manufacturer. If you need it for other makes it's about $230 for each additional one you buy. So, it may be cheap but ultimately the cost depends on how many different makes you are going to use it on.

I do agree with you - both these have paid for themselves for me too
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I've thought about getting this kind of thing also...instead of a regular scanner. I have a new netbook that seems to be perfect for this, its small, goes six hours on a battery etc. Seems to make sense to use a computer that you already have and is much more powerful, rather than buy another piece of equipment that can't be as powerful unless it is very expensive.

Anyone have any experience with "AutoEnginuity"...their stuff looks pretty good....

Last edited by cclive; 03-02-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange how some folk's don't understand the cost of dealer diagnostic and replacement component's. Recently had a work friend, driving an mid 90's Ford pick up, that developed an oil pan leak and froze up. I recommended he scrap it out for a newer model, but no, didn't have the money so spent $3000 plus for an engine exchange. That was just the beginning, as sensor's started failing, and was hit with a simple oxygen sensor dealer replacement for $500 buck's. My Ford daily driver had similar problem's at the time, and with help of the scan tool, got a new sensor from an online store for about $50. The scan tool more than paid for itself on that one, plus learned a few thing's.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cclive
Anyone have any experience with "AutoEnginuity"...their stuff looks pretty good....
Yes, that's the one I bought.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AutoTap makes a good product and you can get enhanced for a single make for about $300 if you already have a laptop.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Thrillhouse
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used one of them on my old Infiniti G37 to datalog while I was lapping. I was running into some sort of limp mode and was trying to figure it out. It could read normal data from the car just fine and operate generic OBDII stuff, but it wasn't able to read any of the Infiniti specific stuff like the oil-temp sensor.

For $20 it'll give you basic code readouts and datalogging, but it won't be able to tell you everything that the car can report.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I purchased an ACTRON CP9180 Scanner and it is very good. It displays a lot of the data logging information that you need to troubleshoot.

I also have EFI Live I got the scanner for other newer vehicles that I have 08 Jeep Wrangler but it works very well on the C6.

It provides LTFT, STFT, O2 sensor data, all the sensors, etc.........

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody tried this kind of OBD scanner?

Quick Reply: Anybody tried this kind of OBD scanner?