C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar Causing Battery Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Onstar Causing Battery Problem?

Today I got a letter saying my Onstar may have a problem that "... could affect your battery performance."

They tell me to try the blue button, if that doesn't connect me then try the red button.

Problem is, I never activated the system and don't want to. So I don't want to push no stinking buttons.

Is this a real problem, or a kind of GM scam trying to get me to activate my Onstar?

If it is a problem for some people, my car can sit for a week and still crank up properly, would that indicate I don't really have the problem?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not think that GM scams their customers. The letter is asking you to test your OnStar system. If your OnStar can connect via the blue or red button, then your vehicle is not involved. If you can not connect, then your vehicle may have the condition described in DTB #09-08-46-004A. If you do not want to activate, don't.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

It's real. I'll test mine as soon as I get the car out of the garage where I can get a signal. I did have a drained battery that happened the same time I got my OnStar diagnostic report, so I'll be curious to see what the test shows.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Well, I'll probably check it to to see.

In another thread, someone posted that his Bluetooth audio was much better after the onstar module was replaced. I'm not sure if that was really his problem, but my Bluetooth system has a very difficult time understanding my commands if any background noise is present. Basically, it can't undertand a phone number i speak unless the car is parked. The voice commands on my nav system are worse than useless, about 90% of the time it gives me something totally unrelated to what I commanded, but i haven't tried it while parked.

Maybe the gremlin is hiding in my Onstar.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Not sure if it's related here but my wifes' new Acadia had a dead battery the other day because there is some malfunction with the bluetooth not turning off after the key is removed and the door opened. My wife could never answer her cell phone in the house. I happened to be in the garage the other day and heard her phone ringing through the car bluetooth. Now we have to find out why.

Get notified of new replies

To Onstar Causing Battery Problem?

Quick Reply: Onstar Causing Battery Problem?