C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Default C6 Windshield Replacement

I cracked my windshield and need to have it replaced. No problem with insurance or anything, but was wondering if ya'll had any tips on special considerations for the windshield as I notice the antenna and on-star stuff is all built into the windshield. Any advice or watchouts?
Old 09-03-2016, 01:02 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I would try to find a reputable shop in your area and one that has been used and recommended by a C6 owner. You might have to post over in the Regional Discussion section.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:14 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

I had mine replaced and it has the GPS and the HUD...fortunately insurance covered it because it was $800. Seemed to be a fairly normal install with nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:21 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There were 4 windshields for C6 cars, so be clear what you need when you order.
1. w/o OnStar and w/o HUD
2. w/o OnStar but with HUD
3. with OnStar but w/o HUD
4. with OnStar and with HUD

Since OnStar became standard on '08 MY and you want to keep it, then choose either 3 or 4. The difference is the coating for the HUD provides a slightly better reflection. If it's not available, the #3 still works well.

If you opt to remove the OnStar box, then choose 1 or 2. I'd suggest keeping the box and the windshield mounting bracket to sell with the car. You can tuck the wires in the moulding.

The difference between a 1 or 2 and a 3 or 4, is how much of the blackout across the top of the windshield exists. There is more on a 3 or 4 to hide the OnStar box. In case it's not available, the installer can measure your current blackout area and paint the new one to match.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Had mine replaced a few months ago through my carrier. I requested and was approved for OEM rather than aftermarket. Mine had all the options, OnStar and HUD. My impression is there is a slight difference in the angle of the new glass because my HUD seems lower at its highest adjustment. My $.02 if it is worth even that much.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:33 PM
AL_Jazz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
There were 4 windshields for C6 cars, so be clear what you need when you order.
1. w/o OnStar and w/o HUD
2. w/o OnStar but with HUD
3. with OnStar but w/o HUD
4. with OnStar and with HUD

Since OnStar became standard on '08 MY and you want to keep it, then choose either 3 or 4. The difference is the coating for the HUD provides a slightly better reflection. If it's not available, the #3 still works well.

If you opt to remove the OnStar box, then choose 1 or 2. I'd suggest keeping the box and the windshield mounting bracket to sell with the car. You can tuck the wires in the moulding.

The difference between a 1 or 2 and a 3 or 4, is how much of the blackout across the top of the windshield exists. There is more on a 3 or 4 to hide the OnStar box. In case it's not available, the installer can measure your current blackout area and paint the new one to match.
...should be ordered via the VIN and any major installer will get it at a local warehouse which should have the correct one in stock if not, they should have it within 48 hrs.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by AL_Jazz
...should be ordered via the VIN and any major installer will get it at a local warehouse which should have the correct one in stock if not, they should have it within 48 hrs.
What I posted would allow anyone with a C6 to choose what they wanted as a replacement. For instance a guy with an '11, who removed his OnStar and added a HUD, wouldn't necessarily want the replacement that matched his VIN.
The following users liked this post:
PA_BLUE_C6 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Was shocked that my insurance company gave me a discount with Safelite that brought my Windshield w/on star but w/out hud for a rate of 460.....but found Technaglass has the same windshield for exactly half the price at $230.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Was shocked that my insurance company gave me a discount with Safelite that brought my Windshield w/on star but w/out hud for a rate of 460.....but found Technaglass has the same windshield for exactly half the price at $230.
Check the DOT number before you say they are the same

You want an APTECH branded windshield

I bet for 230 you are not getting it .......

Dave
Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

My dealership has a standing order with a local glass shop to replace any and all Chevrolet windshields for a flat $299 fee, which was a great deal for a #2.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
My dealership has a standing order with a local glass shop to replace any and all Chevrolet windshields for a flat $299 fee, which was a great deal for a #2.
Check the DOT number ......
Old 09-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Got mine from Technaglass, which is part of JiffyLube. The exact same window as my original for only $230 plus tax. 1 year guarantee for breakage for ANY reason, lifetime for nicks.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:02 PM
RagingGrandpa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vendors are telling me today that all of the C6 windshield part numbers are discontinued from GM... looking specifically for 25996275

Anyone have a lead on someone who still has stock of these?
Old 09-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RagingGrandpa
Vendors are telling me today that all of the C6 windshield part numbers are discontinued from GM... looking specifically for 25996275

Anyone have a lead on someone who still has stock of these?

Not sure who is telling you that .......

There's are plenty in the aftermarket space , as noted above the OEM manufacturer is APTECH . Any reputable glass shop should be able to source it for you

You can purchase this glass with just the APTECH branding on the glass or you can purchase it with the APTECH and GM branded part ... same glass but you are going to pay a lot more for it ...

Dave
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM
RagingGrandpa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm struggling to find Asahi / AGC / APTech glass suppliers at all- called the 8 glass shops closest to me and nobody was selling that brand, so...

... if anyone knows a glass shop in SE-MI, or can ship, that stocks the APTech windshields for C6, please send me a tip.

Thx
Old 09-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I'm struggling to find Asahi / AGC / APTech glass suppliers at all- called the 8 glass shops closest to me and nobody was selling that brand, so...

... if anyone knows a glass shop in SE-MI, or can ship, that stocks the APTech windshields for C6, please send me a tip.

Thx
Send me an email so I have your contact info , I will check for you in the am
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Thx
Send me an email so I have your contact info , I will check for you in the am

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Windshield Replacement

Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I can tell you in Florida we are automatically cover for glass.
If the car is newish the insurance company can be talked into an Oem glass.
One car they replaced the glass and at the sides their was a distortion that
Would catch my eye. I complained and the insurance company authorized new Oem glass.
Hope this helps,
Robin
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Then you get into the whole "OEM" glass thingy. Do you want it or not. It's not real oem unless it has the little GM insignia in the bottom corner. It cost more but helps keep your GM car all GM....LOL. The jury is still out on if insurance companies MUST replace with OEM glass. Some people say they do....some say they don't......
Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
Then you get into the whole "OEM" glass thingy. Do you want it or not. It's not real oem unless it has the little GM insignia in the bottom corner. It cost more but helps keep your GM car all GM....LOL. The jury is still out on if insurance companies MUST replace with OEM glass. Some people say they do....some say they don't......
They only have to pay for OEM If it meets their specific criteria which is different for every company unless you pay extra for an OEM endorsement . Some companies will pay if the car is 2 years old or newer some will not pay even if the car is brand new .....

Dave

Quick Reply: C6 Windshield Replacement