C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Fluid & Baster Method

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Changing Brake Fluid & Baster Method

Just like the clutch fluid change with a baster, is there any benefit at all to use the baster method of change out the brake fluid 3 or 4 times? I don't really want to climb under the car, and wondered if this half @ss method has Any merits at all?

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Thats how i bleed mine. Remove brake fluid from master cylinder, put new fluid in and just crack the bleeder on each wheel. Just make sure you dont run the reservoir out. I hope that helps. RR,LF,LR,RF wheel sequence.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the reply. I should have made my above post more clear.

I'm just wanting to remove the fluid from the master cylinder and not actually bleed the brakes.

Any benefit at all?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Thats how i bleed mine. Remove brake fluid from master cylinder, put new fluid in and just crack the bleeder on each wheel. Just make sure you dont run the reservoir out. I hope that helps. RR,LF,LR,RF wheel sequence.
Hmmmm.....I think what TexasMadMan wants to do is not bleed the brakes at all! He doesn't want to crack the bleed valves and drain fluid from the system.

So.....TexasMadMan, if that's what you mean - that you don't want to bleed the brakes - I don't think that just swapping fluid in the m/c (even several times) is going to give you a satisfactory flush of your brake system.

It works okay in the clutch because the line is quite short and the system holds very little fluid overall.

The brake system has a lot of fluid in the lines going out to all the brakes, especially the rear brakes.

If you want to do a satisfactory flush of your brake fluid to get new stuff all throughout the brake system, you need to bleed the brakes by opening the bleed valves at each wheel to get new fluid all the way through the long lines out to each wheel.

Even that won't get the fluid swapped out in the ABS circuits. To do that you really need to use a Tech 2 to open the valves in those circuits while bleeding. Although, you can sorta DIY by doing a system flush, going out and doing a few stops getting into the ABS, then going back to your shop and flush again - that will give you a half-azzed ABS flush.

Bob
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the fluid does not recirculate, no benefit.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

Works great...empty and drive it a week and do it again...after about 24 ounces or so...three or four weeks it will be clear an stay that way...Probably not as "good' as bleeding but it made a huge difference in my truck with 60 k...so good in fact I did it on all our vehicles. it changed the pedal modulation dramatically..

Now I am doing it every time I do the clutch...cause I can...fliud is always clear.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:16 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Just like the clutch fluid change with a baster, is there any benefit at all to use the baster method of change out the brake fluid 3 or 4 times? I don't really want to climb under the car, and wondered if this half @ss method has Any merits at all?

Thanks.
Why would you crawl under the car the clutch master cyl is on the firewall next to value cover and Brake master cyl.
zvett
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't crawl under the car to change the clutch fluid. I don't want to crawl under the car to change the break fluid either.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:25 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Since the fluid does not recirculate, no benefit.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I would just send it in to a shop that has a machine to evacuate all the old fluid to replace with new fluid.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:19 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmmm.....I think what TexasMadMan wants to do is not bleed the brakes at all! He doesn't want to crack the bleed valves and drain fluid from the system.

So.....TexasMadMan, if that's what you mean - that you don't want to bleed the brakes - I don't think that just swapping fluid in the m/c (even several times) is going to give you a satisfactory flush of your brake system.

It works okay in the clutch because the line is quite short and the system holds very little fluid overall.

The brake system has a lot of fluid in the lines going out to all the brakes, especially the rear brakes.

If you want to do a satisfactory flush of your brake fluid to get new stuff all throughout the brake system, you need to bleed the brakes by opening the bleed valves at each wheel to get new fluid all the way through the long lines out to each wheel.

Even that won't get the fluid swapped out in the ABS circuits. To do that you really need to use a Tech 2 to open the valves in those circuits while bleeding. Although, you can sorta DIY by doing a system flush, going out and doing a few stops getting into the ABS, then going back to your shop and flush again - that will give you a half-azzed ABS flush.

Bob
With Bob. And there isn't any climbing under the car to bleed the brakes.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just wanting to remove the fluid from the master cylinder and not actually bleed the brakes.

Any benefit at all?
No.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
Originally Posted by cclive
With Bob. And there isn't any climbing under the car to bleed the brakes.

Yep.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW I'm sure there's good DIY instructional info posted here on the forum. You'll find changing brake fluid and bleeding the brakes isn't all that difficult. You can do it with a friend (working the brake pedal) or do it solo using an inexpensive Motive Power Bleeder to pressurize the system. As mentioned you won't be able to exercise the ABS circuits but for all practical purposes you can do the job. Bleeding the brake lines every so often is a good idea. If you just don't want to mess with it call the dealership or a service shop...I can't imagine they'd charge all that much just to change the brake fluid.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:43 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any benefit at all?
No.

The reason people use the baster method to do the clutch is because it's a PITA to do it at the slave cylinder.

The brakes are easier to do. Just changing out the fluid in the master cylinder isn't doing anything for the fluid that's stuck in the lines and calipers 15' away.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I beg to disagree that siphoning out the clutch fluid does not do anything, it sure as hell does! Do a search on here for the Ranger method.
When I got mine the clutch fluid was really black and the rubber valve inside the reservoir was getting a tad poor looking. Sucked out and refilled the reservoir 2 or 3 times. Came back a week later and did it agin 2 or 3 times. Now after say 1.5 bottles of new stuff, the fluid in the reservoir is like new! Better pedal feel also....now every time I wash the car I pull the cap and inspect the clutch fluid....nice and light amber color, always. Total cost so far, oh about $5 or less......
So to the nay sayer's, bullbleep, do it. It works! And it sure as hell beats crawling under and bleeding the entire system...there is more than one way to skin the cat as they say...!!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:27 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Just did my clutch fluid yesterday. Hardly even gets dirty since I do it often.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Brake Fluid & Baster Method

Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops....my apologies. I mis-read the initial question and thought this was about CLUTCH fluid. So, kindly disregard my stupid comments about changing the clutch fluid.... getting old I guess, or brainless.....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,211 Likes on 823 Posts

While it is true the brake fluid doesn't work in a continuous loop it is also not entirely stationary either. It pulses back and forth...sorta. If you are driving the car and you change just what is in the reservoir and drive the car a week or so you will see it dirty up If it was perfectly stationary this couldn't happen....Do it several times over a month or so and it finally stays clean juts like the clutch fluid and even firms brakes up IF the fluid is really dirty to begin with...say 60k miles or so.

On my truck I had to press the brake pedal hard enough for it (the pedal) to creak loudly during normal stops...After a large bottle poured in over a month to 6 weeks time it firmed up so as not to hear a peep and stops better too.......10k miles later the fluid is still clear and quiet as a mouse...

The clutch method works for me as well and I have found that doing it every 2500 miles and it stays clear all the time....with only one or two changes and 50 pumps or so it stays clear and clutch pedal modulation is all good.

The ranger method is great.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the responses. Looks like we have hung jury on this one, although the "No votes" are in the majority.

Would anyone disagree that by changing the fluid this way, that it's not going to hurt the brakes?

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Fluid & Baster Method