C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got mad at the wife today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:48 PM
biggums
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got mad at the wife today!!!

I'm sitting in my Vette and she decides to load some items in the rear hatch area. I pop the rear hatch which closes with the gear driven motor. So she puts the items in the rear and slams, I mean slams the rear hatch cover down hard. So hard it about blows my ear drums out (well maybe not that dramatic but you know what its like when someone slams the door closed when the windows down?).

Well I got mad at her about slamming the door down.

My question is does it hurt the drive motor on these hatches that are auto closed if you just slam them down like the old chevy trunk lid of the 60's?

Last edited by biggums; 03-13-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It has to be able to take some abuse. But I'm sure it can't be good for it.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:06 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Give her a break. I've been slamming mine for 5 years. It's the only way to make sure it closes the first time. I always use the handle for more power.

Time to kiss and makeup.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM
biggums
Racer

Your right I still love her but damn you don't want her piloting anything you own. Just two days ago I get a call she's stranded in our 2003 Ford Ranger, "it won't start she claims". I talk her through the basics just to find out she doesn't understand the FOB and security thing yet after 7 years. She evidently hit the arming thing wrong and disarmed the car making it dead acting like a dead battery.

Lately she has indicated she wants to drive her and her friend out and about in the Vette. I said NO WAY! If I let her drive it I would have a car that has directly hit every pot hole and rubbed every curb in the country.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now go and tell your wife that it was your fault for not getting out and loading the items for her. And, your are so sorry that you will take her out to her favorite place tonight for dinner.

Once you learn how to do this tactic your life will be much better.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-15-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't beat-up (figuratively) on your wife too much. It's not how I'd close the hatch but I doubt slamming it will do any lastly damage. I'd ask her to close it a little easier next time.

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Give her a break. I've been slamming mine for 5 years. It's the only way to make sure it closes the first time. I always use the handle for more power.

Time to kiss and makeup.
I'm not overly gentle with the car but I never slam the hatch down. I always set the hatch down somewhat gently on the latching mechanism and then I give a sharp press downwards (on the hatch) to make sure I hear the pull-down mechanism engage and pull the hatch closed. That's the only way I'm sure it closes properly. If I don't hear the motor pull the hatch closed I open it up and start over. Different strokes and all.....
Old 03-13-2010, 10:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Getting mad at the wife is a sure way to sleep alone for a time, just sayin'
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 PM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biggums
Your right I still love her but damn you don't want her piloting anything you own. Just two days ago I get a call she's stranded in our 2003 Ford Ranger, "it won't start she claims". I talk her through the basics just to find out she doesn't understand the FOB and security thing yet after 7 years. She evidently hit the arming thing wrong and disarmed the car making it dead acting like a dead battery.

Lately she has indicated she wants to drive her and her friend out and about in the Vette. I said NO WAY! If I let her drive it I would have a car that has directly hit every pot hole and rubbed every curb in the country.
tell me when u bought your car, was she also responsible for the payment? if so, lighten up, it's just a car, just teach her so next she knows what to do...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I push it down until the motor grabs it.

People slam my doors WAY too hard also.

I just keep it myself. I'm sure it has the ability to handle it.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

mine slams it all the time also. She'll slam it hard and then I get pissed and say something then she tries again but so soft it doesnt pull down and gets pissed at me. I think its a passive-aggressive assault on the car. Its really not difficult to do it right and after 3 years there has to be something more going on.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM
biggums
Racer

I think its coming clear now finally. In her mind my ***** or neck is in the seam that cuts its way between the hatch and body of the car. That's why she knows better but cannot resist the drive do disconnect the two or more appendiges.

At least there's an answer!

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Raazor
I push it down until the motor grabs it.

People slam my doors WAY too hard also.

I just keep it myself. I'm sure it has the ability to handle it.
People seem to think that its a Chevy and the doors need to be slammed shut. And then they go to the Mercedes and close them easy
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Edward_c6
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

YIKES and I know exactly what you mean. I was also inside when the wife shut it after loading some items. It does sound much louder when you're inside vs out.

Now isn't there a sensor in the back that disables the motor so it doesn't shut on something you have in the back? That's what I've noticed when the motor doesn't take over and the hatch shuts hard. And if you shut it softly when the motor doesn't engage, the hatch doesn't close so I have to open it again and add a little elbow grease.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 PM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say this, but You Are Wrong. It's a car, she's a human. That said, who hasn't been upset about something and then thought better of it?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

I'm sure this isn't the 1st time she has closed the hatch....

I really don't understand why people do this....I don't think they do it on purpose, I think they are just alittle clueless
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive discussed with my wife several times. She now understands that I want the car to stay nice and dont wanna pay to replace stuff like that just because she isnt patient and goes around slamming stuff. I ask her you wouldnt slam your dishes in the sink would you? The answer is always no.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 AM
AFflyer
Instructor

All you have to do is have one of the doors open. The rear hatch is easy as hell to shut when the air can move out either the drivers or passengers side door. No need to slam folks. No need to slam at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Got mad at the wife today!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:28 AM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Next time get the DOOR and hatch for her. She will think it's because you are such a gentleman and she will tell all her friends, only you have to know it is to stop her from slamming everything. Win-Win!
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 AM
biggums
Racer

Originally Posted by craigconrad
Next time get the DOOR and hatch for her. She will think it's because you are such a gentleman and she will tell all her friends, only you have to know it is to stop her from slamming everything. Win-Win!
Right on !
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by biggums
Let her drive the Vette! Her OWN Vette that is!

Quick Reply: Got mad at the wife today!!!