C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep missing 3rd (2008, st C6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep missing 3rd (2008, st C6)

I just picked up my car last week so I haven't really had much time with it, but I've found when I'm driving it aggressively I miss 3rd 9 times out of 10.

I've been driving a standard vehicle for over 15 years and have NEVER had this problem. It just blocks me from getting into gear.

Am I missing anything here? Is this common? Tips/Tricks?

-Ingram
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
jackcasa
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, judging by your avatar photo it ain't 'cause you're a 90 lb. weakling (assuming that's you). I've never heard of this problem with a C6 M6.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never missed third one time in mine... and i've been driving 6 speeds, all gm, since i sold my last bought brand new 4 speed, ...........LOL...

seriously, this shift pattern i find much better than my 05 GTO, and way better than my 97 slp Comp T/A, both 6 speeds..... I think you may subconsciously be pulling slightly towards your self when you throw the shifter, its a slight right going up.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:19 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of grabbing the ****, just put your palm on top of it, and try that, just up, and to the right of 1st.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM
bps999
Pro

I have not had any trouble missing 3rd in my vette, but I did have that problem in a Viper I drove once. I played around with my shifting style, and after a while the problem seemed to go away. Hopefully it will go away for you too...

Does it only happen in a certain RPM range? How about shifting a little more slowly or gently? Once you get it to go a few times in a row maybe it'll just get easier...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM
superdutymike27
Pro

Just practice. It will come in time. Believe it or not, it took me 3 years to realize wearing the right shoes when driving helped me with the feel of the clutch.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Instead of grabbing the ****, just put your palm on top of it, and try that, just up, and to the right of 1st.

Palm it and push it toward the radio.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Locks you out---you do realize there is a lockout at certain speed and rpm, right? It's called CAGS (computer aided gear selection) and is for economy. Other than that, see above on NOT palming the lever; just push it from 2 to 3.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Ive done the same thing before, many times. You are not getting it completely centered before pushing it up towards third. Here is the easiest fix if you dont want to have to think about getting it over to the gate:

Install an MGW short throw shifter.

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette.shtml

ALL your shifting problems will be solved. It is by far the best shifter, w/ rifle bolt precision. I have not missed a shift since. Do a search. You will see tons of reviews and just how easy it is to install. Best bang for the buck out there.

Last edited by GreySteele06; 03-23-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Ingram
Intermediate

Thanks guys! Great info...

I'll try to palm the top of the shifter a bit more. Practice makes perfect

I'll rip around tonight and see if there if I can figure it out. When I'm driving slow I can slip it into gear fast and no problem. But when the car is really moving it just jams...

-Ingram
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ingram
Thanks guys! Great info...

I'll try to palm the top of the shifter a bit more. Practice makes perfect

I'll rip around tonight and see if there if I can figure it out. When I'm driving slow I can slip it into gear fast and no problem. But when the car is really moving it just jams...

-Ingram
Use Redline synthetic for your clutch fluid.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
RabidVette
Instructor

When I had a stock shifter, it seemed to me that GM put too strong a centering spring in when shifting into third. I would always go to far to the right and hit the gate between third and fifth. I'm assuming they did this for idiots that don't know how to shift. Try shifting more or less straight up towards first (I know this sounds like a bad idea) and maybe you will have better luck.

To second what someone else said, get an MGW and never look back. They are only $200, they are the best shifter on the market, and you will never miss a gear again. I also recommend their composite shift ****. I just bought another Vette with a Hurst and it is junk; I will be swapping it out for another MGW shortly.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Originally Posted by RabidVette
When I had a stock shifter, it seemed to me that GM put too strong a centering spring in when shifting into third. I would always go to far to the right and hit the gate between third and fifth. I'm assuming they did this for idiots that don't know how to shift. Try shifting more or less straight up towards first (I know this sounds like a bad idea) and maybe you will have better luck.

To second what someone else said, get an MGW and never look back. They are only $200, they are the best shifter on the market, and you will never miss a gear again. I also recommend their composite shift ****. I just bought another Vette with a Hurst and it is junk; I will be swapping it out for another MGW shortly.
No centering spring in the stocker. Just a dumb ball and socket. Its limp. MGW all the way.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
gfunkusarelius
Instructor

yeah, weird, i used to have a hell of a time getting my 99 mustang gt into 3rd and others who have driven it had the same issue, but after 11 years of owning it, i had sort of forgotten about it. i just learned the motion that went with the flow- if you get it just a bit wrong and try to force it, it can be a damn bear.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My guess is when you drive and shift aggressively you're tensing-up and 'forcing' the shift....relax. Don't get a death grip on the shifter...lighten up on it. Don't grab the shifter and "put" in third...use the heel of your palm and push...guide the shifter towards third...just give it a 'suggestion' where to go (if that makes sense). It'll find its way. Don't worry about speed-shifting. As you start shifting smoothly then work on shifting faster.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by turmat

Palm it and push it toward the radio.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Short throw shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To Keep missing 3rd (2008, st C6)

Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Cam Only
Instructor

short throw cured my problem, also check ur clutch fluid.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:31 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy

this works....top of shifter **** deep in palm.....then straight up...don't get the lazy foot either....get the clutch all they way down when hard shifting.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 456 Likes on 230 Posts

Your problem might be in your seat position. If you do not have your seat correctly positioned you will not get the clutch fully disengaged and you might not be throwing the shifter fully into 3rd gear.

2nd to 3rd gear should be automatic because the shifter is weighted to 3rd/4th gears.

Quick Reply: Keep missing 3rd (2008, st C6)