C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!

Does anyone else HATE dropping their car off at the dealer, or is it just me? I just bought this car, and my county requires an emissions sniff test to get the title process done. Since the closest chevy dealer has a packed service area, I elected to go to the nearby Caddy dealer to get it sniffed.

I have gone here for years, and its a top notch place. Even so, my service writer that I use was away, and my buddy who spun wrenches there has moved on.

So I get the service writer who closes the door by putting her mitts on the door panel, and started to write the vin by putting paper on the hood and writing, until an achhhhhh-hemmmm came from me!

So its ready to go to the back, and I go talk to another guy I know, and then the guys who move the cars are kinda standing around it talking and laughing. I was quite far away, but made a death stare towards them- one saw me and then hopped in an creaped away! (Might I add that I looked like death... I had just awoke from poor sleep and have been exhausted from being swamped at work!) I still had sleep in my eyes, and a bit of crazy, too! I have seen what happens when these clowns joy ride... its well documented on CF! My car will not get wadded up if I have anything to do with it!

I watched my car pull out of the bay 10min later, payed the cashier, and walked to the staging area and zoomed her home- to her safe home! LOL!

I know it is a bit over the top, and its just a car, but I was happy as heck to get out of there!

Well, I have a tinting appointment this Friday, so that should be fun too! These guys seem good, but like anything, I will be patiently waiting to get the hell home!

-n8
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with that, i am the same way, to others it's just a car, to me it's not.

I work hard for my stuff and i value everything i own, i'm not going to let an assclown get away with messing up my cars. Let alone a dealership. IF i ever end up going to the dealership, i drive the car into their service bay area MYSELF and i politely ask if i can be around while they work on it...

But going to the dealership for me RARELY happens.

Last edited by NeoZ06; 10-21-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:43 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeoZ06
Nothing wrong with that, i am the same way, to others it's just a car, to me it's not.

I work hard for my stuff and i value everything i own, i'm not going to let an assclown get away with messing up my cars. Let alone a dealership. IF i ever end up going to the dealership, i drive the car into their service bay area MYSELF and i politely ask if i can be around while they work on it...

But going to the dealership for me RARELY happens.
I miss having my friend work there for sure... he was FULL of scarry stories!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I always take my car to the dealer with it totally clean and vacuumed. There is not a scratch on it and I tell the service advisor that I want my car back in the exact same condition when I pick it up. Not even as much as some greasy finger prints on the paint or the interior or I will really loose it. So far the dealer has taken my Vette across the street and had it washed and vacuumed right before I pick it up. The dealer sure wouldn't do this with every car who has service work done there but the should! I take my daughters Toyota to the dealer and it is always washed and vacuumed when I pick it up. Hmmmm.... why won't Chevrolet clean up the car after it is serviced too?

Kent
Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lkelliott
I always take my car to the dealer with it totally clean and vacuumed. There is not a scratch on it and I tell the service advisor that I want my car back in the exact same condition when I pick it up. Not even as much as some greasy finger prints on the paint or the interior or I will really loose it. So far the dealer has taken my Vette across the street and had it washed and vacuumed right before I pick it up. The dealer sure wouldn't do this with every car who has service work done there but the should! I take my daughters Toyota to the dealer and it is always washed and vacuumed when I pick it up. Hmmmm.... why won't Chevrolet clean up the car after it is serviced too?

Kent
Seems like we both are VERY fussy, but I maybe a bit different. I am very particular, but my service advisor for the Lade knew NOT to wash it- and I made sure the Vette wasnt washed today. I too hate fingerprints and dirt and grime, but at the same time, I want to take a relatively clean car there, and see it come back the same. I just cant trust that they would wash the car like I do... I am pretty sure they are not buying all of their products from autogeek and storing each towel in ziplock bags like me!

My window tinter was telling me how they would wash the car after tinting, and I was like NOOOOOOOO!!!! They probably think I am nuts...

Yea, I have it bad!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:52 AM
NoXcape
Instructor

Honestly..the only dealership I like is the service from Lexus. I love taking my wife's truck in. But I'm the same way
Old 10-21-2010, 06:01 AM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP: Does the state of VA license non-dealer independent shops to perform sniff tests? If so, why not take it to one of those shops instead of a GM dealer?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

It is never a happy moment to leave a vette in the care of another.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't care. It's a dealer they screw it up they fix it. To me it is just a car. I do care about it a lot but there are so many other important things in life to waste my time wondering how a dealer is doing with my car. I dunno. I guess its just me. I'm not someone who freaks out about my car.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

I have a small local dealer who treats my Vette with care. I know the techs and the sales staff, and they always ask about how well my car was taken care of.

I have no issues or concerns taking my car in for service, but I do have a dealer I trust with my car. Unfortunately, that's not the case with every Vette owner.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a good experience with my local dealer. They have a mechanic just for vettes and the Cadillac sports car. I dropped mine off at a performance shop to have tires, wheels, brakes, rotors, calipers, etc done. They have had it for two days and normally work on Porsche, Ferrari, etc so I had a good level of confidence. Spoke to them yesterday to see how things were going and car is supposed to be done today. They have been putting it inside at night and doing all the right things and they seem like nice people.

Can't wait to get her back tonight though. Garage is empty without my baby.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I HATE taking any of my vehicles it to be worked on. I could write a few paragraphs describing all of the screw-ups I've endured but I won't bother because so many of us have been there, done that. I will say the worst was a Honda dealer that trashed my new at the time CR-V. The one place I have no problem with is the Tire Rack in South Bend. I will gladly do a 200mi round trip to go there for tires.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:56 AM
kev1949
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
I HATE taking any of my vehicles it to be worked on. I could write a few paragraphs describing all of the screw-ups I've endured but I won't bother because so many of us have been there, done that. I will say the worst was a Honda dealer that trashed my new at the time CR-V. The one place I have no problem with is the Tire Rack in South Bend. I will gladly do a 200mi round trip to go there for tires.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think anyone enjoys taking their car to a dealership. I typically avoid using a dealership once a car's warranty has ended. There are, however, rare situations when I feel a dealership is be the best place to make a diagnosis or a certain repair. Although I dread the high prices dealership's charge I actually have a high expectation that they'll fix the problem correctly. I think the odds of someone at a dealership taking your car for a joy ride is negligible at best. Owning multiple Suburban's over the years, I've used a certain Chevy dealership for decades. All things considered and high prices not withstanding, my Chevy dealer does an excellent job.

As strange as it seems, I recently took my car to a Buick dealership. My friend (whose forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know) occasionally takes his highly modified C6 to the Buick dealership. There's a mechanic there he swears by (and most importantly they're willing to make certain repairs under his extended warranty ). They have access to the same GM databases that the Chevy dealer does. I generally trailer my car 125 miles one-way to a performance shop in Phoenix but time was tight so I decided to try the Buick dealership. I was primarily trying to diagnose a strange 'clunking' sound coming from midway under the car but I figured since the car was there I'd have him do a couple other very simple things. I liked the mechanic and he did excellent work but good Lord they were expensive. I'm sure my regular shop in Phoenix would have done the work for half what the Buick dealership charged. Using the mechanic's specialized stethoscope we did find the source of the noise (nothing serious) but lesson learned....I haul the car to Phoenix next time.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

I don't mind paying, dealer or not, as long as the service is TOP NOTCH and nothing short of EXCELLENT. I expect 100% in quality and workmanship for any of my cars...

But i try to get it done myself first. =)
Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonJoel
To the OP: Does the state of VA license non-dealer independent shops to perform sniff tests? If so, why not take it to one of those shops instead of a GM dealer?
Yes, in VA you can have any emissions certified shop do the work. Since it isn't really a sniff test on C6's (just an emissions inspection and an ODBII test) it is quick, easy, and painleess. I have a shop that does all the cars, I tip the guy a few bucks (after inspection, not before, so no one thinks there is any wrong-doing) and he knows me by name and treats the cars very well. Although other than pulling into the bay, opening the hood,closing it and pulling out, there isn't much they can do wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Convair580
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always hated and never trusted dealerships until after I bought my '07 Vette.

I came across Purifoy Chevy in Ft. Lupton, CO, 40 mi from me and feel like I'm family there.

I get great treatment, care for my car, and they have gone out of their way to save me $.

They do Corvette conversions, have a separate Vette showroom, and have several of their Vette's in different Corvette magazines in the last several years.

They just celebrated their 40th anniversary in July and what a celebration.

I enjoy the ride after my car has been there for service.

Get notified of new replies

To Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Right there with you. HATE IT.

I am absolutely **** when it comes to my cars and I warn them up front. I tell the dealership that "this thing doesn't have a scratch in it, I just want it back that way". That usually gets their attention. I always have it spotless when I bring it in too.
Last time I picked it up, it was in the wash bay just off the service isle, all by itself, nothing close. No they didn't wash it! That was a nice touch and will keep me coming back, IF I HAVE TO. I try to do everything myself. You know how the saying goes....."if you want it done right, do it yourself".
Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
rck329
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man, I am right there with you... it's pretty much a bonafide phobia/disorder!

When I bought mine (used) from a dealer, we were closing the deal and the saleman said "I'll have them get it washed up for you..." And I was like, "no, no, don't worry about that, it's fine" Thinking to myself "yeah, I don't want your crummy wash mitts scratching the **** out of it anymore!"

The wife thinks I should get some help... I said, you're right, I'm going to talk to the guys on the corvette forum.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
mellow 07
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Amen!!!

Exception:Purifoy Chevrolet in Ft.Lupton Colorado "The Best Experience I've Ever Had At A Dealership".They treated my Corvette like it was theirs.Then I noticed the Employee parking lot it was full of vettes!

Quick Reply: Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!