C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch / spring tensioner help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default clutch / spring tensioner help needed

On my 2005 C6, all of the sudden I have a "clicking" sound coming from my clutch pedal when I engage it all the way. It sounds & feels like it's hanging up on something metalic.

So I crawl under the steering wheel to see if I can find what the issue is. What I'm seeing down there is that the spring that provides tension on the pedal is coming out of the nylon holding clip when it's fully engaged. When I release the clutch, it then pops back into the clip.

Has anyone had this issue and is there a simple solution?

It doesn't appear that there is anything that encloses the spring into the clip. The clip is a "C" shaped clip about 3/8" wide. The spring is a single piece wire that is "U" shaped with a spring coil on the ends of the "U", and the bottom of the "U" fits in the nylon retainer clip.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't recall reading about your specific situation before but it's not uncommon for the clutch pedal return assist spring to break. It's an inexpensive part and quite easy to replace. I'm not sure if your spring just needs to be adjusted, replaced or if something else needs replacement. The following link provides information about replacing the spring. Perhaps it will be of some help. I would not recommend running without the spring (at least for long) and I wouldn't use a C5 spring if yours needs replacement...I'd stick with the OEM C6 spring which was designed with the proper torsion for the C6. Good luck.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ing-in-c6.html
Old 09-16-2015, 12:47 PM
SilverTiger
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have this issue as well

Originally Posted by CWerner
On my 2005 C6, all of the sudden I have a "clicking" sound coming from my clutch pedal when I engage it all the way. It sounds & feels like it's hanging up on something metalic.

So I crawl under the steering wheel to see if I can find what the issue is. What I'm seeing down there is that the spring that provides tension on the pedal is coming out of the nylon holding clip when it's fully engaged. When I release the clutch, it then pops back into the clip.

Has anyone had this issue and is there a simple solution?

It doesn't appear that there is anything that encloses the spring into the clip. The clip is a "C" shaped clip about 3/8" wide. The spring is a single piece wire that is "U" shaped with a spring coil on the ends of the "U", and the bottom of the "U" fits in the nylon retainer clip.
This is an old post, but I now have this issue with my 05. I'm going to get a new spring, but the one in there DOES NOT appear to be broken, it's just popping out of the slot. My fluid is full and I keep it clean. The clutch seems to be working just fine, it's just clicking at the pedal. Anyone have a clue?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM
SilverTiger
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring was broken

Originally Posted by SilverTiger
This is an old post, but I now have this issue with my 05. I'm going to get a new spring, but the one in there DOES NOT appear to be broken, it's just popping out of the slot. My fluid is full and I keep it clean. The clutch seems to be working just fine, it's just clicking at the pedal. Anyone have a clue?
Well, the spring, as it happens, can break and NOT fall out. On casual inspection, it may APPEAR to not be broken, but it is. Mine broke in the coil nearest the door, but the pieces stayed in place. I put in a new spring and all is well.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch / spring tensioner help needed

Quick Reply: clutch / spring tensioner help needed