C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life Monitor / Battery Disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Oil Life Monitor / Battery Disconnect?

Does OLM reset when battery is disconnected? I'm guessing yes, but wanted to confirm.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
lefthander
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Just replaced my battery. Everything reset except had to re-index windows. Piece of cake.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by carllangford
Does OLM reset when battery is disconnected? I'm guessing yes, but wanted to confirm.
No, the Oil life monitor does not reset on a battery disconnect. Nor will you loose any radio station presets or memory information. You will need to re-index your windows but other then that, everything should stay the same.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No, I'm pretty sure it does not. Many forum members have indicated that the only thing they had to reset was the window indexing.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
No, the Oil life monitor does not reset on a battery disconnect. Nor will you loose any radio station presets or memory information. You will need to re-index your windows but other then that, everything should stay the same.
What about OBDII memory/monitor information...is that retained in the event of a battery disconnect? I recently took my car in for its first state emissions test immediately after replacing the battery. The state test results were "The OBDII system is "NOT READY" as reported by the vehicle's on-board computer." I was surprised the system simply reported "not ready." I had a code reader on the car the day before and all monitors were reporting 5 x 5.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Wayne O
What about OBDII memory/monitor information...is that retained in the event of a battery disconnect? I recently took my car in for its first state emissions test immediately after replacing the battery. The state test results were "The OBDII system is "NOT READY" as reported by the vehicle's on-board computer." I was surprised the system simply reported "not ready." I had a code reader on the car the day before and all monitors were reporting 5 x 5.
There are some emissions type codes that can be reset with a battery disconnect. As such, a safeguard is built in to the system to prevent people from fooling inspectors by pulling the battery prior to a state inspection. Depending upon the test there are X number of cycles of operation required prior to the test being conducted. The information isn't gone per se but the test protocols prohibit the test being done without the appropriate time, ignition cycles and or miles on the clock.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There are some emissions type codes that can be reset with a battery disconnect. As such, a safeguard is built in to the system to prevent people from fooling inspectors by pulling the battery prior to a state inspection. Depending upon the test there are X number of cycles of operation required prior to the test being conducted. The information isn't gone per se but the test protocols prohibit the test being done without the appropriate time, ignition cycles and or miles on the clock.
Thanks Paul. I just didn't think about what effect replacing the battery might have on the OBDII until after the inspection. My battery died right before I left (which irritated me) and then when I pulled the battery I found an Optima. I was blown-away as I've never bought an Optima battery. I'm guessing a performance shop in Phoenix recently mixed-up my 1 year old conventional battery with someone else's Optima. In any event, I went to AutoZone and bought a new replacement battery, fired it up and drove to the inspection station.

My car doesn't throw any DTC's but I wasn't necessarily expecting to pass the inspection anyway (with non OEM cats, etc.). At this point, I'll get some more drive cycles on the car, check the OBDII with my code reader and maybe next week I'll take it back through inspection to see what happens. Should it fail I doubt I'll put the stock manifold, exhaust, 02 sensors, etc. back on just to pass the inspection. My car's been slowly evolving into a dedicated track car so this may be the defining moment. I won't be disappointed if it fails. Then I can stop making certain compromises and finish setting it up properly for track use. Thanks again...I appreciate your time and expertise!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Thanks Paul. I just didn't think about what effect replacing the battery might have on the OBDII until after the inspection. My battery died right before I left (which irritated me) and then when I pulled the battery I found an Optima. I was blown-away as I've never bought an Optima battery. I'm guessing a performance shop in Phoenix recently mixed-up my 1 year old conventional battery with someone else's Optima. In any event, I went to AutoZone and bought a new replacement battery, fired it up and drove to the inspection station.

My car doesn't throw any DTC's but I wasn't necessarily expecting to pass the inspection anyway (with non OEM cats, etc.). At this point, I'll get some more drive cycles on the car, check the OBDII with my code reader and maybe next week I'll take it back through inspection to see what happens. Should it fail I doubt I'll put the stock manifold, exhaust, 02 sensors, etc. back on just to pass the inspection. My car's been slowly evolving into a dedicated track car so this may be the defining moment. I won't be disappointed if it fails. Then I can stop making certain compromises and finish setting it up properly for track use. Thanks again...I appreciate your time and expertise!
So if it doesn't pass, is the ultimate decision then to not register it at all and just track it or what....having lived in Calif in the distant past, I always sweated getting my 74 Trans Am to pass. Now it just has to pass the safety inspection and its all good....36 years later...LOL
Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

On our 2006, resetting the "Elapsed Time" timer in the DIC would also reset the OLI.
You should have seen the tech's face when I showed him that "feature".

I'm told that newer years don't do that, and there may even have been a fix for the 2006's.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks guys. Reason I ask is I'm looking at buying an '05 and noted 25% on the monitor. It could be worse than that if the system resets after a battery problem or whatever. Good to know the car keeps most everything during a battery swap. The C4's were not like that.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

no.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had my battery disconnected for six months this winter and the only item that needed resetting when i hooked the battery back up was the window indexing.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Here in PA as long as there is no CEL a 96 or newer car will pass emissions. There is no visual check for these cars only OBDII so even with no cats they can still pass.

To get back on topic since I normally only drive my car on weekends I disconnect the battery when not in use. I lose the window index, clock, and all of the emission tests.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Jeff78
I had my battery disconnected for six months this winter and the only item that needed resetting when i hooked the battery back up was the window indexing.
nice avatar

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Life Monitor / Battery Disconnect?

Quick Reply: Oil Life Monitor / Battery Disconnect?