C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Transmission won't go into 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Transmission won't go into 1st gear

Today, my '08 A6 decided not to use 1st gear anymore. In S-mode, shifting down from 2nd gear using the -paddle would generate a '1' in the head-up display, but the tranny would stay in 2nd. Next, using the + paddle would make the indicator jump to 2nd, but the transmission would simply stay in 2nd. Higher gears could be selected as usual.
Shutting down the car and starting it again did not resolve the issue. After the car had been sitting, turned off, for a couple of hours, the problem did go away, though. That sucks, because intermittent issues are typically more difficult to diagnose at my dealership. No warning lights, such as check engine, ever turned on during the whole episode. Transmission fluid temp was about 225F.

Has anybody ever noticed a situation like this where the paddles seem to properly signal the computer to go down to first gear, but the transmission refuses to follow the command? Any suggestions on how I can get my tranny to behave? Without first gear, I might as well have bought a Mustang........
Old 05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Did you get a chance to look at the transmission temp on the DIC?
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by No-Swet
Today, my '08 A6 decided not to use 1st gear anymore. In S-mode, shifting down from 2nd gear using the -paddle would generate a '1' in the head-up display, but the tranny would stay in 2nd. Next, using the + paddle would make the indicator jump to 2nd, but the transmission would simply stay in 2nd. Higher gears could be selected as usual.
Shutting down the car and starting it again did not resolve the issue. After the car had been sitting, turned off, for a couple of hours, the problem did go away, though. That sucks, because intermittent issues are typically more difficult to diagnose at my dealership. No warning lights, such as check engine, ever turned on during the whole episode. Transmission fluid temp was about 225F.

Has anybody ever noticed a situation like this where the paddles seem to properly signal the computer to go down to first gear, but the transmission refuses to follow the command? Any suggestions on how I can get my tranny to behave? Without first gear, I might as well have bought a Mustang........

What you are experiencing seems normal. At least according to what the owner's manual says. Maybe I missed something in your post:

While the Manual Paddle Shift gear selection system is
active, the transmission will automatically downshift
through the gears as the vehicle slows. The transmission
will select 2 (Second) gear as the vehicle stops. From a
stop, the vehicle will start from and hold 2 (Second) gear
unless the driver manually paddle shifts into a different
gear or selects D (Drive). The driver can select 1 (First)
gear for maximum acceleration from a stop.

The vehicle speeds required for Manual Paddle Shift
up-shifts depend on several vehicle inputs, which
will vary the allowed up-shift speed by a few mph (km/h).
• Up-shifts to 4 (Fourth) gear require approximately
22 mph (35 km/h).
• Up-shifts to 5 (Fifth) gear require approximately
28 mph (45 km/h).
• Up-shifts to 6 (Sixth) gear require approximately
41 mph (65 km/h).
To prevent damage to the powertrain, Manual Paddle
downshifts to a lower gear cannot be done above certain
speeds. The maximum speed allowed for downshifting
of gears 1 (First) through 4 (Fourth) are:
• Into 4 (Fourth) gear over 168 mph (270 km/h)
• Into 3 (Third) gear over 124 mph (200 km/h)
• Into 2 (Second) gear over 81 mph (130 km/h)
• Into 1 (First) gear over 45 mph (72 km/h).
The Manual Paddle Shift system will not allow either an
up-shift or a down-shift if the vehicle speed is too fast
or too slow, nor will it allow a start from 4 (Fourth) or
higher gear.
If up-shifting does not occur when needed, vehicle
speed will be limited to protect the engine.
The transmission will also automatically down-shift as
the vehicle slows down and comes to a stop.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
427PWRD
Racer

I think what he's saying is, when he paddles it down to 1st gear, the DIC will read that it's in 1st gear, but it's really taking off in 2nd gear, and when he paddles from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the RPMs remain the same like the transmission isn't shifting.

This is not normal, as this happened to my 07 a few weeks ago. No check engine lights, but failure codes ARE stored in the transmission's computer. The dealer will be able to pull those. I'm willing to bet they will need to take out/clean or replace your valve body. GM had my car for 8 days. Take it to the dealer.

Also, I had shut my car down for an hour, and restarted it and I had 1st gear back. I still took it into the dealer, and they were able to retrieve the transmission fault codes.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Brandon_C6
I think what he's saying is, when he paddles it down to 1st gear, the DIC will read that it's in 1st gear, but it's really taking off in 2nd gear, and when he paddles from 1st gear to 2nd gear, the RPMs remain the same like the transmission isn't shifting.

This is not normal, as this happened to my 07 a few weeks ago. No check engine lights, but failure codes ARE stored in the transmission's computer. The dealer will be able to pull those. I'm willing to bet they will need to take out/clean or replace your valve body. GM had my car for 8 days. Take it to the dealer.

Also, I had shut my car down for an hour, and restarted it and I had 1st gear back. I still took it into the dealer, and they were able to retrieve the transmission fault codes.
I guess I missread the OP. Thanks for chiming in. Hope what I posted helps at any rate
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
I guess I missread the OP. Thanks for chiming in. Hope what I posted helps at any rate
Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New gas saving feature
The following users liked this post:
Rudy Suarez (12-09-2020)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N8sFavToy
New gas saving feature
Bad joke. Never kick a man when he's down. Unfortunately I have nothing positive to help your situation. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Restroom
Instructor

You ought to have sme warranty left on an '08; haul it in and see what it has to say to the techs. Hopefully it's an isolated incident, but I'd be interested to hear what's going on either way.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
No-Swet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Restroom
You ought to have sme warranty left on an '08; haul it in and see what it has to say to the techs. Hopefully it's an isolated incident, but I'd be interested to hear what's going on either way.
Thanks for everybody's response so far. I have warranty left on the car, so I'll bring it in and see what they find.
BTW, I now recall that while I had the 'no 1st gear' issue, the cruise control didn't work (no response whatsoever to pressing the 'set cruise' button). Maybe this suggests an electronics issue, such as the speed sensor not working.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by N8sFavToy
New gas saving feature
This is not kicking a man when he's down. This is trying to him up when he's down!

OP, I had my car in for 2nd time for A6 problem (07) also. But, was different, the shifter locked out of park, and they had to replace the shifter module, but it sounds like what good 'ole Chemdawg is saying.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Just for reference, my tech sheet from GM states:

"Scanned system code P0751 shift solenold 1 valve. Performed test and found solenoid #1 stuck off. Replaced control solenoid valve and transmission control module asm."

Looks like there was a core return of valve 4.265 back to GM for inspection. The car went in on 4/15/2010 and I got it back 4/23/2010. Apprently they had to call GM and get approval to replace the "valve 4.265".

Goodluck!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Originally Posted by No-Swet
Thanks for everybody's response so far. I have warranty left on the car, so I'll bring it in and see what they find.BTW, I now recall that while I had the 'no 1st gear' issue, the cruise control didn't work (no response whatsoever to pressing the 'set cruise' button). Maybe this suggests an electronics issue, such as the speed sensor not working.
I was hoping you had warranty left.

Please consider doing what I did now that you have this experience. I bought a 60/60 100 GMPP from the Fitchmeister the day my original 3 year expired. Used $500 of it to replace the shift module the first week. An 07 and 12k on it, so if you have more, it might be a bit more.

I can't tell you what piece of mind it is, and it broke down to a little over $300 per year. Pretty cheap for piece of mind. On normal things ext warr aren't usually necessary, but I don't think with the new technology and how expensive repairs can be the C6 can't be classified as 'normal'.

800 234 5284 is Dennis' number, he really helped me with some info when I had my problem too. Great guy.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM
427PWRD
Racer

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I was hoping you had warranty left.

Please consider doing what I did now that you have this experience. I bought a 60/60 100 GMPP from the Fitchmeister the day my original 3 year expired. Used $500 of it to replace the shift module the first week. An 07 and 12k on it, so if you have more, it might be a bit more.

I can't tell you what piece of mind it is, and it broke down to a little over $300 per year. Pretty cheap for piece of mind. On normal things ext warr aren't usually necessary, but I don't think with the new technology and how expensive repairs can be the C6 can't be classified as 'normal'.

800 234 5284 is Dennis' number, he really helped me with some info when I had my problem too. Great guy.

I bought a one year extended warranty from GM when I bought the car used. My 3 year warranty expired on 4/12/2010, and as you can see, I had this problem on 4/15/2010... I too have an 07.

Oh, and also, since you have a warranty, make sure they give you a loaner. I'm going to bet they'll have your car for a couple of days.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 Transmission won't go into 1st gear

Quick Reply: A6 Transmission won't go into 1st gear