C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water in rear storage? what the?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:02 PM
okbkvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water in rear storage? what the?????

Dang it, anyone have this problem? I keep a lot of stuff in those cubbies. Only the passenger side is wet. Just the bottom. My car hasn't even been in the rain yet, but we've had tons of rain here the last week, so it's been rained on. The carpet doesn't feel wet. Since I haven't been driving in the rain, it would seem that it would have to be something from above, but again, carpet doesn't feel wet.

Anyone had something similar? rear cubby getting wet just sitting in rain? Drivers seems fine.
The following users liked this post:
Randy_in_MD (01-02-2018)
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in the storage bins. What year is it? Maybe the rubber went bad on the trunk lid?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM
okbkvette
Racer

well, car is only 6 months old with 3k miles. Not a daily driver. Not been in rain yet just because I have another car.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM
bario
Instructor

Originally Posted by okbkvette

Anyone had something similar? rear cubby getting wet just sitting in rain? Drivers seems fine.
I would love to hear more on this. Mine has exactly the same issue. Only the passenger cubby, only the bottom, and the carpet everywhere else always feels dry, even underneath when pulled away from the sides.

I do drive in the rain and at first figured it was getting in somewhere from under the car, from off of the tires. But several times I have come out to find that cubby wet on the bottom after a hard rain, when it was bone dry the day before and the car had not been driven.

I know there must be a leak somewhere but I have never been able to find any trace of moisture except on the bottom of that cubby

B
Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 AM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

dealership
Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Dang it, anyone have this problem? I keep a lot of stuff in those cubbies. Only the passenger side is wet. Just the bottom. My car hasn't even been in the rain yet, but we've had tons of rain here the last week, so it's been rained on. The carpet doesn't feel wet. Since I haven't been driving in the rain, it would seem that it would have to be something from above, but again, carpet doesn't feel wet.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. It sounds like your vehicle is still under warranty. I would suggest having them fix this problem for you. If you would like me to contact a dealer and set up an appointment, let me know. I am happy to help. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Condensation?

Tom
Old 05-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Dealerships can sometimes surprise you with their expertise.

We had a BIG water leak in our C5 after driving in heavy rain- we didn't notice it at the time but the area behind the passenger seat had water sloshing around. I dried everything out and took it to the dealer, who called me that afternoon and asked if the windshield had been replaced. It told him it had been, nearly a year ago during a road trip. He said the water was coming in around the w/s, running back under the sill trim, and stopping behind the seat. I didn't believe him, but they re-sealed the w/s and the car was dry as toast for the next 3 yrs/40k miles. Of course, the w/s repair company had been paid by State Farm and had to reimburse me for the dealer work.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
okbkvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with this. It sounds like your vehicle is still under warranty. I would suggest having them fix this problem for you. If you would like me to contact a dealer and set up an appointment, let me know. I am happy to help. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Geoff Allen
Thanks for the reply and noticing. My selling dealer has a good reputation and I'll have them check it out and report back.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom
I have a 2007 convertible and had this problem with the right storage area only. One thing you need to be aware of is this is also the area where the VCIM is located. What I am told is all the computers talk with one another through the VCIM. I found that out on a trip when the car went hairwire. The storage compartment had about 2 inches of water and was shorting out the VCIM, which ultimately had to be replaced. Sometime later the storage compartment again got water in it. The fix was to remove the right rear quarterpanel and seal a gap in the body structure that came that way from the factory. So far I haven't had a problem since.
Interesting. Makes me wonder if it would be wise to make a small drain hole in the bottom of the compartment. Probably need to check and see what's under it first, but that might be one solution.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep us posted as my passenger cubby has been wet at times too. I have a vert, not a coupe so the rear fender gap does sound feasible since that would probably be common to both our vehicles. Sounds like something the factory isn't monitoring as part of its QA process.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:07 AM
dck
Intermediate

I've got the same problem. Whenever I wash the car the bottom of the right storage well is wet. Can figure where the water comes from, everything looks tight.

If you find the source of leakage, please post the results.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

Geoff Allen
Now that is what I would call customer service!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, something else to go now and check.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
okbkvette
Racer

ok, Phantom is the winner. Appears this might be an occasional hickup in the build of the corvette. Perhaps BG needs to make note?
Dealer got the car today. Says they took out all the back trim etc. (expected), and found an area where he literally said he could see daylight from inside the car out. Ran some water over the car and it came in. They are sealing up, but said it's an area which is usually or always has factory sealant across it. They are applying, will let dry, and we'll see.
I recall/think sealant is applied by robot. It sounds like every so often, as noted by the other posts here, that the robot misses or maybe the sealant gun runs out. But appears I'm not the only one.
Others, "dck, gotchrist" you might check with the dealer. I would suspect you have the same problem/ommission.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 AM
bario
Instructor

ok, Phantom is the winner. Appears this might be an occasional hickup in the build of the corvette. Perhaps BG needs to make note?
Dealer got the car today. Says they took out all the back trim etc. (expected), and found an area where he literally said he could see daylight from inside the car out. Ran some water over the car and it came in. They are sealing up, but said it's an area which is usually or always has factory sealant across it. They are applying, will let dry, and we'll see.
I recall/think sealant is applied by robot. It sounds like every so often, as noted by the other posts here, that the robot misses or maybe the sealant gun runs out. But appears I'm not the only one.
Others, "dck, gotchrist" you might check with the dealer. I would suspect you have the same problem/ommission.
Well this is what I found as well. Spent the day pulling off the rear trim and using a hose. Found a section where the water started running in where it was not properly sealed. Methinks a tube of silicone will fix it up for good.

As for drilling some holes for drainage, I thought of that so while I was in there I checked out what was under that passenger cubby. I have seen many posts referring to an onstar module ( which I don't have) and some kind of a computer interface. On my fully loaded (except for onstar) '05 coupe there is nothing at all in or under that passenger side cubby! I drilled 3 holes just in case my sealing job sucks. Water just runs out the holes and onto the ground. Only thing under that cubby is a section of the plastic wheelwell. Nothing else but an empty space.

Hopefully my drill and my tube of silicone will put an end to my built-in water carrier.

Bario
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bario
Well this is what I found as well. Spent the day pulling off the rear trim and using a hose. Found a section where the water started running in where it was not properly sealed. Methinks a tube of silicone will fix it up for good.

As for drilling some holes for drainage, I thought of that so while I was in there I checked out what was under that passenger cubby. I have seen many posts referring to an onstar module ( which I don't have) and some kind of a computer interface. On my fully loaded (except for onstar) '05 coupe there is nothing at all in or under that passenger side cubby! I drilled 3 holes just in case my sealing job sucks. Water just runs out the holes and onto the ground. Only thing under that cubby is a section of the plastic wheelwell. Nothing else but an empty space.

Hopefully my drill and my tube of silicone will put an end to my built-in water carrier.

Bario
Put a drain valve on the hole you drilled and you have a mini ice chest

Get notified of new replies

To water in rear storage? what the?????

Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 PM
bario
Instructor

Originally Posted by 05 SilVert
Put a drain valve on the hole you drilled and you have a mini ice chest
Hmmm,,,,, now you got me thinking about a weekend project........

Maybe hook the drain valve to a remote like the mild-to-wild system. I could choose to dump the water in the beer cooler or open the exhaust!!

bario
Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 AM
jcapps
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 168 Posts

I had the exact same problem in my 08 Z06. Dealed resealed it. But it all my manuals where destroyed by mold. Had to toss them amd have yet to buy new ones. I think Chevy should replace them but no one offered
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
I had the exact same problem in my 08 Z06. Dealed resealed it. But it all my manuals where destroyed by mold. Had to toss them amd have yet to buy new ones. I think Chevy should replace them but no one offered
Hello,

I do apologize for your experience. I will be happy to look into this further for you if you would like. Please send me the following in a private message:

First and Last Name:
VIN:
Telephone Number:
Dealership:

Geoff Allen

Quick Reply: water in rear storage? what the?????