C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refilling the radiator with coolant

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
jopper
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Refilling the radiator with coolant

I am replacing the thermostat and the coolant soon and I have researched this a little on the Forum. Several posts have noted that refilling is slow process through the surge tank. Today I was reading the July issue of Vette where they are installing a ProCharger kit in a Z06. (Cool kit and great result in horsepower by the way) Anyway, they show a picture of the tech refilling the coolant system using 'an elevated hose to bleed air from the system".

Anybody use this method that can provide a little more guidance? The article notes that this is a critical step to prevent overheating and alternative to using the other method of repeatedly warming the car up to 200 degrees to bleed out air and topping off the tank.

The elevated air hose method clearly seems the way to go. i get it that it is an elevated hose attached to the cooling system. But where is it attached? Advice?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 140 Posts

I changed my coolant last weekend and it wasn't a big deal. I followed the instructions in the service manual and it went just fine. Yes, I had to poor the coolant in a little slower but it really wasn't a big deal.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I install any thermostat I always drill a 3/32" hole in the stat to allow any trapped air to escape. I've found it also helps to loosen the overflow tank and keep it elevated during the filling process.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CH-Z51
Before I install any thermostat I always drill a 3/32" hole in the stat to allow any trapped air to escape. I've found it also helps to loosen the overflow tank and keep it elevated during the filling process.
That's a trick from the old days that's still a good idea.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

After filling the surge tank, let the engine run at 2000 rpm fror at least 2 minutes with the surge tank cover off. This will expell most of the trapped air.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I changed my coolant last weekend and it wasn't a big deal. I followed the instructions in the service manual and it went just fine. Yes, I had to poor the coolant in a little slower but it really wasn't a big deal.
Same here.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i just got done changing my coolant, to get the air out, you need to fill the surge tank, put the cap on, then disconnect the top return line, place hose in a small water bottle to catch any fluid.

using an air compressor is the easiest(LOW PRESSURE is all you need), i put the air nozzle to the fitting on the top of the resivoir and inject air pressure into the surge tank. the air pressure will force all the coolant into the system, when its empty, refill and repeat until a constant flow of coolant is coming out of the top hose and into the water bottle. then start the car and top off the fluids, this gets about 95% of the air out of the system so you dont need to keep filling the surge tank over and over.

quick and easy.

-Carl
The following users liked this post:
ROBMARZ (12-08-2015)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM
PaulEddie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You are going to try that again. If you remove the upper hose and apply pressure to that fitting, the water will just flow out of the surge tank overflow, won't it?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by carlrx7
i just got done changing my coolant, to get the air out, you need to fill the surge tank, put the cap on, then disconnect the top return line, place hose in a small water bottle to catch any fluid.

using an air compressor is the easiest(LOW PRESSURE is all you need), i put the air nozzle to the fitting on the top of the resivoir and inject air pressure into the surge tank. the air pressure will force all the coolant into the system, when its empty, refill and repeat until a constant flow of coolant is coming out of the top hose and into the water bottle. then start the car and top off the fluids, this gets about 95% of the air out of the system so you dont need to keep filling the surge tank over and over.

quick and easy.

-Carl
I gather that most Chev. service dealerships don't do it this way?
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Little Nut
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default worked Great

Originally Posted by carlrx7

quick and easy.

-Carl
Carl you're a damn genius. One little pffft with the air nozzle and tank is virtually empty. You've saved me several hours. Thank You.

Tom

PS Sorry about necropost, but I was searching how to refill radiator quickly after draining. Tried Carl's suggestion and it worked beautifully. Figured others in same boat would also find helpful.
The following users liked this post:
ROBMARZ (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nice trick, I used to put little piece from match, which does the same thing, then it opens and and is bio degradable and it's gone.
Old mech trick.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 268 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Vette
After filling the surge tank, let the engine run at 2000 rpm fror at least 2 minutes with the surge tank cover off. This will expell most of the trapped air.
And you may have to do this few times, make sure you fill it up with coolant in between and go back to idle if the temps get over 220. When i did mine this is what happened, it was not as simple as the service manual suggested.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

The thermostat should have the hole already in it....

Get notified of new replies

To Refilling the radiator with coolant

Quick Reply: Refilling the radiator with coolant