C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise me on the head units

Old 02-18-2020, 01:25 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Advise me on the head units

Hey all,

Going to replace my center stack with a modern (but factory looking!!) head unit. My car has Bose but no factory navigation. I don't want to add navigation, but do want Android Auto so as to seamlessly integrate my phone.

Here are the three Crutchfield recommendations:

Kenwood: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DMX...n-DMX906S.html

Sony: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...AV-AX5000.html

Alpine: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-ILX-W650.html

So far, I like the Sony the best. It is a reasonable price, and it looks the cleanest. The Kenwood allows for wireless Android Auto connectivity, and is supposedly a good bit faster (more responsive) than the others. Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. I'm ok plugging my phone in... Plus, my current phone does not allow for wireless Android Auto connectivity (both the phone and the head unit must be compatible).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2020, 01:56 PM
CallawaySC560
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I just installed the Kenwood DMX906S with F/R cams and did their pre-wire service. Plug n play. Can't speak for the other units but VERY happy with the Kenwood.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:16 PM
GigG
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Very happy with the DMX906S I've had since Thanksgiving. Not the USB ports that have replaced the Cig lighter.

Last edited by GigG; 02-18-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Don't sleep on the Pioneer NEX units...I've run two of them now and been very pleased. With the ones you listed though, the Kenwood will give the best "bang for the buck" without running an amplified system.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 02-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Out of the three options I'd say Kenwood. I've had mine for four years now and am nothing but happy with it.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 PM
lobstah24
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 239 Posts

+1 for the Kenwood. I just put one in yesterday. The bang for the buck is unreal...awesome sound improvement. Which ever you choose...pay for the prewire service...it makes the install SO much easier!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 PM
indyblue67
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Which HUs still have a volume ****? That's the one feature I like to keep.
The following users liked this post:
Red✠Baron (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:29 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by lobstah24
+1 for the Kenwood. I just put one in yesterday. The bang for the buck is unreal...awesome sound improvement. Which ever you choose...pay for the prewire service...it makes the install SO much easier!
I will definitely opt for the pre-wire service. I am content with the sound from the system as-is, so anything extra is a bonus.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:30 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by indyblue67
Looks like some of the ones with CD decks have ***** on them.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

KENWOOD here also.front and rear cameras. Pre wired from Crutchfield. Hooks up to my Apple phone and run Apple play and blue tooth for my phone. Install was easy. I put the USB plug in the console lighter port so I can plug in my IPhone easily. Much better than the factory Bose system.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:54 PM
nannam
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
KENWOOD here also.front and rear cameras. Pre wired from Crutchfield. Hooks up to my Apple phone and run Apple play and blue tooth for my phone. Install was easy. I put the USB plug in the console lighter port so I can plug in my IPhone easily. Much better than the factory Bose system.
Good idea on the cable location. I haven't installed mine yet, but I might do that with my cables too. With your cameras - do you have to press buttons on the head unit to activate them, or do they activate on other triggers? I know you can wire the rear camera to come on when the car goes into reverse, but can you also view the camera output on the head unit screen while driving?
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I have the Sony unit and I love it. Bought it through Crutchfield with the prewired service and the install was very straight forward. It was the most OEM-looking in my opinion which was a bonus. It's fast and the capacitive touch screen feels just like a smartphone. My only complaint is the system is really picky about which cable will work with Android Auto. I've swapped a few in and out and finally have one that works, I believe.

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 02-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:36 PM
Red✠Baron
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by indyblue67
Totally agree. I got the first year of the new generation Civics and the screen was great but the volume was controlled by either sliding a finger up and down on the screen or on a rough, semi-circular thing on the steering wheel. It was very frustrating for the first couple of minutes after starting the car and waiting for the system to boot up. Like everyone else, I instinctively rotated the center console **** but it was only for the AC.

The second year of the new Civic model, Honda had restored a nice, manual volume **** because people simply preferred it that way. But at the same time, they did away with the passenger-side mirror cam on the center screen which was actually pretty cool. It was like a punishment for us 50+ ****-lovers.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:41 PM
nannam
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Good idea on the cable location. I haven't installed mine yet, but I might do that with my cables too. With your cameras - do you have to press buttons on the head unit to activate them, or do they activate on other triggers? I know you can wire the rear camera to come on when the car goes into reverse, but can you also view the camera output on the head unit screen while driving?

edit: did not mean to duplicate post.

Last edited by nannam; 02-18-2020 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Accidentally duplicated and wanted to apologize
Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BluegrassMotorsport
I have the Sony unit and I love it. Bought it through Crutchfield with the prewired service and the install was very straight forward. It was the most OEM-looking in my opinion which was a bonus. It's fast and the capacitive touch screen feels just like a smartphone. My only complaint is the system is really picky about which cable will work with Android Auto. I've swapped a few in and out and finally have one that works, I believe.
Cable? It won't Bluetooth your phone?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:35 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by LowRyter
Cable? It won't Bluetooth your phone?
Android Auto and Apple Car Play require physical wire connection in most cases. The Kenwood unit allows for wireless AA and ACP, but the phone being used must also be compatible with wireless AA and ACP. That is, both the HU and the phone must be compatible with AA and ACP.

Last edited by KingCorvette93; 02-19-2020 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:45 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Is it possible to run the USB cable into the center glove box? I'd like to plug my phone in and keep it out of the way when I get in the car.

However... I'd like to keep the 12v plug.

How could I do this? Perhaps drill a hole in the trim next to the 12v?

Last edited by KingCorvette93; 02-19-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Advise me on the head units

Old 02-19-2020, 06:24 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by nannam
My rear camera comes on when I put the car in reverse. The front comes on with a push of a button on the head unit anytime I want except when in reverse.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:17 AM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
Is it possible to run the USB cable into the center glove box? I'd like to plug my phone in and keep it out of the way when I get in the car.

However... I'd like to keep the 12v plug.

How could I do this? Perhaps drill a hole in the trim next to the 12v?
I have cables running into the back or the console, there is another large access hole back there. Just need a longer cable. But it does get very warm in there in the summer, not sure I would leave my phone in there.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:20 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by nannam
I know you can with the Pioneer NEX units. I can pick front or rear camera at any time, driving or parked...and the reverse camera still operates when the shifter is in reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advise me on the head units