C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front plate fix it ticket or 86mph speeding ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Front plate fix it ticket or 86mph speeding ticket?

Well - got pulled over on Friday on our way out to Lake Havasu for the weekend. The CHP that pulled me over was pretty cool - after talking to him for a few minutes in what I thought was a vein attempt at getting out of the ticket - the guy walks to the front of the car and then heads back - he says I have a choice between a fix it ticket for not having a front plate or an 86mph speeding ticket - guess what I chose?

Anyone have a link to a good deal on a front plate solution doesn't involve drilling holes into the fascia?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
rebar
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how much was the fixit ticket?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 3L337 C6
Anyone have a link to a good deal on a front plate solution doesn't involve drilling holes into the fascia?
I think most of us use the Top Flight Reproductions mount, and they have a removable version:

http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...brackets.shtml
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I dunno what it's like in other states, but here in Texas they used to not really enforce it very much. However, lately DPS has really started to crack down on folks for not having a front plate and I've heard they are starting to ticket folks for it. They tried to get a law passed through last year to repeal it, but I believe it failed to pass.

I'm seeing a lot more police out on the roads in places I never used to see them, and I get the general feeling that the state and local government are hurting for money and trying to get it anyway they can nowdays.

Last edited by CSixDude; 05-25-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

I don't think there is a monetary charge for a fix it ticket is there? I have two friends who are in law enforcement, I'm just going to bring the ticket to them and have them sign off on it. I should be good.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

here is my topflight removable plate

Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I don't think there is a monetary charge for a fix it ticket is there? I have two friends who are in law enforcement, I'm just going to bring the ticket to them and have them sign off on it. I should be good.
If it were my friends, I wouldn't put them in to the position of making a false official statement.....
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I dunno what it's like in other states, but here in Texas they used to not really enforce it very much. However, lately DPS has really started to crack down on folks for not having a front plate and I've heard they are starting to ticket folks for it. They tried to get a law passed through last year to repeal it, but I believe it failed to pass.

I'm seeing a lot more police out on the roads in places I never used to see them, and I get the general feeling that the state and local government are hurting for money and trying to get it anyway they can nowdays.
That serve and protect stuff has done gone by the way of our relatively friendly dinosaurs, now it's stop and collect. Just a different form of tax since they keep spending more than they take in. And, as far as the inconvience, well, you're just a citizen and this whole deal (The United States of America), just isn't about anymore, bro. It's about the political class and their cronies. Ah, so, so sorry Founding Fathers, greed for power and money have ruined your little experiment, the age old fascists have resurfaced and just kind of taken over.

Look how well MORE government is working for the Europeans. The EU was just a capital idea, wasn't it?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not a matter of making a false statement....you put the plate on and have it signed off on by a LEO that he saw the front plate attached. Not a damn thing false about that....! End of fix it as it was rectified.....no charge in Calif. What happens after the LEO signs off, well.......!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
If it were my friends, I wouldn't put them in to the position of making a false official statement.....
They (the LEO) officers "DON'T" have to make a "False" statement.. all they have to do is "ASK" the prosecutor to void the ticket...

I know in Ct. thats how its done for anything from 80 in a 55 zone to fail to signal....

If the LEO knows the prosecutor all will be taken care of with NO FALSE STATEMENTS!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Antithesis
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think there is a monetary charge for a fix it ticket is there?
The last time I got one in California I just needed to have an officer sign off on it, then mailed the ticket in. No charge.

Not sure where you were pulled over, but the cops around Parker can be pretty unforgiving. I've been nabbed there a few times on my way back and forth to Havasu. Sounds like some smooth talking on your part! Congrats on avoiding a traffic school session.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Thanks for all the tips - the topflight product looks like the best solution in my opinion.

Not sure where the person got the idea that my friends were going to make a false statement of some kind??

And yes - it was outside Parker - but on the California side - CHP's patrol there pretty regularly, I wasn't thinking when I saw him going the opposite direction. I told him I had just started my own company, he asked what it was - I told him we found jobs for people - which is what we do. That probably got him to change the speeding ticket to a fix it ticket. The topflight product costs 100 - the ticket would've been 300 - plus 8 grueling hours of hell on earth sitting in a court room with people who ask the strangest questions all day long!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Top Flight front bracket, plus the GM color matched license plate frames. Great combo!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Eat the ticket. I had the same deal offered to me twice in mine in over 3 years. Paid the plate fine and back on the road sans front plate. Better price to pay than a moving violation.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Antithesis
The last time I got one in California I just needed to have an officer sign off on it, then mailed the ticket in. No charge.

Not sure where you were pulled over, but the cops around Parker can be pretty unforgiving. I've been nabbed there a few times on my way back and forth to Havasu. Sounds like some smooth talking on your part! Congrats on avoiding a traffic school session.
That must have been some time ago because now you do have to pay a fine for that and get it corrected.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Double sticky tape get it inspected and take it back off LOL!
Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Here in NJ, the law requires the front plate be "displayed" within certain height restrictions.
There is no mention of having to screw or glue the plate to anything, including the front bumper. I carved a piece of styrofoam into an 8" wide wedge shape and glued fake black leather over it. I placed the front plate between the center of the dash and the base of the windshield and inserted the wedge between the plate and the dash. I also framed the plate with about 1/4" of black electrical plate (prevents rattles & scratches).

For me, a perfect and cheap solution. Been driving this way for almost 2 years and haven't been stopped. I recommend you read your state's statute or reg. to find out how much leeway you have. Be creative &...
Save The Wave

Get notified of new replies

To Front plate fix it ticket or 86mph speeding ticket?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
67 fastback
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got a rare, good chp officer.

I got the axehandle that was a lying sob that said that I was going 85 not the 79 that I was doing.

Yes, I was still speeding, but he's a pos.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is why I put on a front plate in the first place. I really appreciate the validation.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Just pay the ticket and don't put the plate on......

Quick Reply: Front plate fix it ticket or 86mph speeding ticket?