C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery problems on 2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 AM
NEWCJ
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery problems on 2005

I have a 2005 Vette with just over 8000mi on it. I bought a new Optima red top battery last July in hopes of curing my dead battery problems. I'm at my whits end as the problem hasn't gotten any better, in fact it seems much worse with the new battery. If i forget to plug in the trickle charger after a day of use, in 24hrs the battery won't have enough juice to start it the next day. I have tried charging the battery up to full charge because Advance auto told me to try that and it still drains anyway if i don't keep it on the trickle charger? I have been diligent about making sure that the transmission is in reverse whenever i leave it too! Please help, i'm at whits end over this, Advance is trying to tell me it's the car, not the battery, what do you think, and what can i do??
Old 05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
ateam311
Racer

Well, I did a lot of battery research here using a bunch of threads and from what I gathered those yellow/red top batteries are known all too well for their problems. Some claim they've had absolutely no problems with them, others were not so fortunate.

Unless you're going weeks at a time not driving it, I cannot imagine a scenario where you'd need to be charging it all of the time. Is the battery under warranty still?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

2005 manual tranny cars have a dead battery problem known as DBS.Look it up and you will be drowning in info on it.Long story short,your dealer has a reflash issued by GM a while back that should fix the issue.Get it done.OPTIMA top is just an overpriced battery.It's nothing special,but it's also not the cause of your issue.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Advanced Auto might be right. Maybe something is wrong with your car that is draining the battery. Or maybe the battery is defective.

Anyway, your battery should definitely not die after a day. For starters, read about the 2005 DBS issue: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...a-problem.html

If it hasn't been done already, hopefully a DBS reflash will solve the problem. You'll have to get the dealer involved. Also ask them to test the battery and alternator/charging system.

Something easy to check: Look at your car in the dark... 20 minutes after shutdown, all the lights should be off. Same for seat heaters.

And some trickle chargers do not shutdown when the battery is charged. Not sure if overcharging is possible for you; just a thought.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
MikeySoft
Burning Brakes

Default Change your Fob Battery

Originally Posted by NEWCJ
I have a 2005 Vette with just over 8000mi on it. I bought a new Optima red top battery last July in hopes of curing my dead battery problems. I'm at my whits end as the problem hasn't gotten any better, in fact it seems much worse with the new battery. If i forget to plug in the trickle charger after a day of use, in 24hrs the battery won't have enough juice to start it the next day. I have tried charging the battery up to full charge because Advance auto told me to try that and it still drains anyway if i don't keep it on the trickle charger? I have been diligent about making sure that the transmission is in reverse whenever i leave it too! Please help, i'm at whits end over this, Advance is trying to tell me it's the car, not the battery, what do you think, and what can i do??
Before you do ONE more thing, Change your Batteries in your FOBS.
Both of them. I had similar problems with my 05, it has 3700Miles on it.
Even the dealer could not keep the car lit or charged.

Soon as the Fob Battery was changed all my problems went away.

Wierd right?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 PM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't that hard of a problem to solve. Its one of two issues... either you haven't gotten the reflash as everyone else said, or you're not shifting into reverse (which the car requests you to do) when you shut it down.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
nowheelie
Racer

I had a similar problem a long time ago (can't remember if 8 month or 1.8 months ago). I don't have the information at hand - there are two items I had updated for my car...

One is regarding RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) update.
Another is a bcm/ecm (er) flash to update software.

EDIT--
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...m-reflash.html
#07-06-03-001B
PIC4188E

After I had both done (I don't know if one or the other fixed it, my shop service guy said lets update it all to be safe) my car has not had a dead battery issue since. In my case, it wasn't the battery (replaced a couple times), and it wasn't the fob (replaced that anyhow). My guy scanned over my printouts of the 2 bulletins, and then went straight to the gm website.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by nowheelie; 05-28-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: searched and found the 2 bulletins

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery problems on 2005

Quick Reply: Dead Battery problems on 2005