Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
alandchris
CF Senior Member

Default GM Certified Tread Depth ? on OE runflats

anyone know the tread depth on the certified GM program? i have heard that it is 8/32 - need a confirm or the real tread depth if you know.

i'm looking at a used vette and the rear tires appear to be pretty worn at 15k miles as compared to the front. while i didn't have a tire gauge with me, it would have seemed like the rear tires were about 1/2 of the front tires on the car - and the original tires show 10/32 front, 11/32 for the rear according to tire rack- so I'm guessing for now the rear tread was about 5/32

thx
alandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

no clue but I do know C6 Z06 tires only have 8/32 from the get go and that pretty much sucks

The tire rack info you got is correct I am sure.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
AFVETTE
CF Senior Member

Good question, I bought my wife a CPO 2009 Cadillac SRX that had 18,500 miles and the dealer installed brand new Michelins. Which I now know cost close to $1000.

Tom
AFVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
BBBOOMR
CF Senior Member

I had 9/32 on my Goodyear supercar tires (z51) when new.
BBBOOMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
AKC_C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandchris View Post
anyone know the tread depth on the certified GM program? i have heard that it is 8/32 - need a confirm or the real tread depth if you know.

i'm looking at a used vette and the rear tires appear to be pretty worn at 15k miles as compared to the front. while i didn't have a tire gauge with me, it would have seemed like the rear tires were about 1/2 of the front tires on the car - and the original tires show 10/32 front, 11/32 for the rear according to tire rack- so I'm guessing for now the rear tread was about 5/32

thx
I'm at 12K miles and I already need to replace the rears on my C6.

Regardless of the tread depth on that vette, you should seriously push to have them put new tires on for you. My bet is that they would definitely bear the expense of new tires if it meant selling the car.
Good luck and let us all know if you decide to buy it!
AKC_C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
not08crmanymore
CF Senior Member

At 15000 miles you can bet that those tires are shot,or pretty close to it.8-10 32NDS is where new tires come in at.In my experience with both my 05 and now my 08,I got to 13 on 1 and 15 on the latest one before tires were needed.No track time,no racing,nothing!
not08crmanymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC_C6 View Post
I'm at 12K miles and I already need to replace the rears on my C6.

Regardless of the tread depth on that vette, you should seriously push to have them put new tires on for you. My bet is that they would definitely bear the expense of new tires if it meant selling the car.
Good luck and let us all know if you decide to buy it!
I'm at 35,000+ miles with original tires and still have plenty of tred left.
LS WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

The non-Z51 and non-Z06 GY OEM tires have 10/32" of tread on the front tires and 11/32" of tread on the rear tires when new.

The new GY tires on a Z51-equipped C6 have 9/32" of tread on each of the 4 tires.

The wear bars on the non-Z51, non-z06 tires are at 3/32" of tread.
JimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
AKC_C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS WON View Post
I'm at 35,000+ miles with original tires and still have plenty of tred left.
Lucky! I've never tracked my car, nor am I one to do donuts, but my tires are still shot at 12K.

The variance I've seen on the GY tread life from one person to the next is crazy. We all know that geographical location, weather conditions, driving style, etc, all play a large role in tire life. However, I've seen people on here that get 3x more miles from their tires than others... All claiming to never track their cars and have modest driving styles.
Maybe the big variance is normal for peformance tires or just the above mentioned driving conditions play a bigger factor than one would think.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
The variance I've seen on the GY tread life from one person to the next is crazy.
There's a big difference between the Z51 tires and the non-Z51 tires. In addition to the difference between tread depth when new, which I've indicated above, the Z51 tires are softer rubber for a better road grip.

Typically, Z51 owners get 12K to 15K on their tires. Non-Z51 owners typically get 30K to 35K on their tires.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
AKC_C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTN View Post
There's a big difference between the Z51 tires and the non-Z51 tires. In addition to the difference between tread depth when new, which I've indicated above, the Z51 tires are softer rubber for a better road grip.

Typically, Z51 owners get 12K to 15K on their tires. Non-Z51 owners typically get 30K to 35K on their tires.
Good info. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
wolfdogs
CF Senior Member

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.

that info is available on goodyears site too.
wolfdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Dans C6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Good info. Thanks.
I measured my tires today on my 05 Z51 coupe and they read out. Front about 5-6 32's and the rears are at 6 32's at 12,996 miles. How am I doing so far. These tires really do suck.
Dans C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
JimTN
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans C6 View Post
I measured my tires today on my 05 Z51 coupe and they read out. Front about 5-6 32's and the rears are at 6 32's at 12,996 miles. How am I doing so far. These tires really do suck.
2/32" is where many are replacing their tires. If you do that, yours are not quite half gone. You should be able to get another 12K to 13K on the front, another 15K on the rear.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
GSRANDY
CF Senior Member

The Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on my 2010 GS started out with 8/32 tread depth, front and rear.

Regards,

GSRANDY
843 - Titanium Gray Interior
MZ6 - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
OB1 - Crossed Flag Embroidery on Headrest
NPP - Dual Mode Exhaust
PYE - Chrome Aluminum Wheels
Q8A - Z06 Spider Design Chrome Aluminum Wheels
GSRANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
99FewteRC5
CF Senior Member

GM certified cars should be replaced at 5/32nd or less
99FewteRC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
mforman42
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogs View Post
that info is available on goodyears site too.
The Goodyear site has generic information, and the actuals vary for different model cars with the same model tire. The spec info on the Tire Rack site seems to be more pertinent, because it goes by the actual TPC spec for each model.

mforman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
GordyRay
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Z-51 Coupe tire wear

I have an 06 Z51 car that I bought new, I ran it at the drag strip at Buds Creek MD for 6 runs. I got 29,876 miles on them before I replaced them with the Michelin all-Wx run flats; which out perform the previous tires in handling I have found. I do most of my driving which is long drives to work, 51 miles one way. So not much stop and go hopefully.
The original tires were some of the worst tires that I have ever had in performance and sound/road noise. A big dissappointment for GoodYear tires. Don't buy the car without new tires period!!!!
Cheers,
Fuze
GordyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
LS WON
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Lucky! I've never tracked my car, nor am I one to do donuts, but my tires are still shot at 12K.

The variance I've seen on the GY tread life from one person to the next is crazy. We all know that geographical location, weather conditions, driving style, etc, all play a large role in tire life. However, I've seen people on here that get 3x more miles from their tires than others... All claiming to never track their cars and have modest driving styles.
Maybe the big variance is normal for peformance tires or just the above mentioned driving conditions play a bigger factor than one would think.
I'm now over 36,000
LS WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page GM Certified Tread Depth ? on OE runflats

Tags
1132, 832, c6, certifed, certified, corvette, depth, difference, gm, have, minimum, parts, rear, tire, tires, tread, z06