C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Corvette as a DD

Hey guys,

New to the forum, lurked around for a few hours last night. I'm a huge JDM fanboy but recently been reading up on C6 Corvettes and they definitely interest me. First of all, it blew my mind that a 400HP V8 gets better gas mileage than a 300hp V6 in our G35. I'm looking at getting into a different car in the near future. I've been looking at mostly JDM Cars (STi, Evo X GSR) and read up on the corvette and now I'm really considering it.

My question is, how many of you guys use the Corvette as a daily driver? I live in Vancouver, BC so we have cool winter and warm summers. Nothing to extreme, this year we barely got any snow. I will have a dedicated set of all seasons or snow tires for the cold months as performance tires just harden up in our winters.

How do you guys find the vette as a daily driver, obviously it won't be the most practical but I'm still young so I don't really need practicality yet. Lastly, how is maintenance and reliability with these? I'd be doing a lot of the regular maintenance myself but for the bigger stuff I'll be taking it to a shop. Anyways, look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Also I did search but didn't really find an answer so if I missed it my apologies.

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't DD mine so can't answer your question but......

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your research. There is a lot to learn about these cars. Enjoy the experience.

Just FYI, might want to check out the Canadian Regional Forum for local events and talk:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/canadian-events-97/
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
I don't DD mine so can't answer your question but......

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your research. There is a lot to learn about these cars. Enjoy the experience.

Just FYI, might want to check out the Canadian Regional Forum for local events and talk:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/canadian-events-97/
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

As long as you do not have to drive it in heavy snow I would say it is fine for a DD. As for realiabilty my experience has been great, going on the third year for my purchased new 2008 and have only taken it in for oil changes. Many do their own oil changes, other than that I have not had one single issue with it.
So in conclusion I can find no negatives, it has outstanding realiability, great on gas if you drive it normally, (tough to do ) plenty of storage capacity in the coupe with 22 cubic feet in the rear hatch area. I see no downside and think it would be a great choice. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

My 07 is my DD and has been my only car for the last 3 years. Just turned ~44k miles and the only maintenance so far has been oil, tires, and filters. I did take it in for a couple of issues (all covered under warranty) but I've found the car extremely reliable. We actually had snow this past year in Houston and it worked just fine, even with the summer tires. There is tons of cargo room in the hatch area so that helps hauling stuff around. I get 28 mpg on the hwy at ~80mph and about 22 mpg mixed driving here in Houston.

The only real downsides I can think of is if you ever need a back seat on occasion.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dvilin
As long as you do not have to drive it in heavy snow I would say it is fine for a DD. As for realiabilty my experience has been great, going on the third year for my purchased new 2008 and have only taken it in for oil changes. Many do their own oil changes, other than that I have not had one single issue with it.
So in conclusion I can find no negatives, it has outstanding realiability, great on gas if you drive it normally, (tough to do ) plenty of storage capacity in the coupe with 22 cubic feet in the rear hatch area. I see no downside and think it would be a great choice. Good luck.
Thanks, I still can't believe that the corvette gets gas mileage like it does. Obviously with normal driving, but it still amazes me. I detailed an 06 Z06 a few months back and the trunk space is more then enough for me. We don't get much snow here in the city, and if we do the odd time I'm sure I can just insure the Pathfinder we have laying around. Thanks for the help, glad to hear your corvettes been reliable.

-Brendan
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
My 07 is my DD and has been my only car for the last 3 years. Just turned ~44k miles and the only maintenance so far has been oil, tires, and filters. I did take it in for a couple of issues (all covered under warranty) but I've found the car extremely reliable. We actually had snow this past year in Houston and it worked just fine, even with the summer tires. There is tons of cargo room in the hatch area so that helps hauling stuff around. I get 28 mpg on the hwy at ~80mph and about 22 mpg mixed driving here in Houston.

The only real downsides I can think of is if you ever need a back seat on occasion.
Good to hear, I don't mind having a 2 seater. My friend has his S2000 and whenever we hang out it always ends up working out anyways so he hasn't complained about having 2 seats. He only complains about the lack of torque and trunk space. Thanks for your input! Great forum you guys have here by the way

Brendan
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

My wife (2007 C6 convertible w 34k miles) and I (2007 Z06 w 51k miles) both daily drive our cars. They are fine for that. They're cars, not museum objects

Z//
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanS
Thanks, I still can't believe that the corvette gets gas mileage like it does. Obviously with normal driving, but it still amazes me. I detailed an 06 Z06 a few months back and the trunk space is more then enough for me. We don't get much snow here in the city, and if we do the odd time I'm sure I can just insure the Pathfinder we have laying around. Thanks for the help, glad to hear your corvettes been reliable.

-Brendan
I wouldn't be too sold on the gas mileage aspect. Most members (there are some exceptions) get great mileage when used on the highway, but in town, the mileage is not all that great. My driving is about 80% in town, 20% highway, and I'm usually at 17mpg (16.9 exactly on most tanks). Sure- if you do 80% highway driving and you take it easy on the throttle, it's easy to get mid 20's, but any time you mix in city driving with a big V8...

There are a few forum members here in the Seattle area that use theirs as DD's. There are a few posts on the PNW forum detailing a members' use with all season performance tires. If there's snow on the ground I switch over to the WRX, but otherwise, the Vette gets driven in most other conditions.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Seattle and mine is a DD. And as long as the snow is under 3 inches it still goes to work.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I DD mine - I've only had a couple of issues all covered under the warranty - water pump/door actuator/transmission shift handle - but I'm pretty sure those issues were a rarity with these things. Parking it in certain areas may make you think twice though, just a heads up.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
My wife (2007 C6 convertible w 34k miles) and I (2007 Z06 w 51k miles) both daily drive our cars. They are fine for that. They're cars, not museum objects

Z//
Wow, impressive. Wish I could find a girl thats into cars. Anyways, glad to hear that you DD your car with no problems.
Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
I wouldn't be too sold on the gas mileage aspect. Most members (there are some exceptions) get great mileage when used on the highway, but in town, the mileage is not all that great. My driving is about 80% in town, 20% highway, and I'm usually at 17mpg (16.9 exactly on most tanks). Sure- if you do 80% highway driving and you take it easy on the throttle, it's easy to get mid 20's, but any time you mix in city driving with a big V8...

There are a few forum members here in the Seattle area that use theirs as DD's. There are a few posts on the PNW forum detailing a members' use with all season performance tires. If there's snow on the ground I switch over to the WRX, but otherwise, the Vette gets driven in most other conditions.
I'm not looking into the corvette as a econo car, but I just find it amazing that the V8 is able to get gas mileage like it does. I mostly do city driving so I don't expect it to get gas mileage like a Honda Fit, but I'm glad it's nothing ridiculous. It gets similar gas mileage to the G35 and better then the Evo X I'm considering.
Originally Posted by TMyers
I am in Seattle and mine is a DD. And as long as the snow is under 3 inches it still goes to work.
Good to hear, I'd probably stick with that rule as well. We barely get more then 3" anyways. And we get snow only a few times a year so I'm not to worried.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3L337 C6
I DD mine - I've only had a couple of issues all covered under the warranty - water pump/door actuator/transmission shift handle - but I'm pretty sure those issues were a rarity with these things. Parking it in certain areas may make you think twice though, just a heads up.
Sounds good, I don't visit the rougher parts of town very often if thats what you're getting at but sometimes you just can't avoid it. I'll be sure to look into extra security if it becomes an issue.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
vettn71
Pro

This is my fourth vette as a daily driver. The first one was a 60 with a 350HP 350. It really sucked as a DD. The second was a 71 LS5. It was better, but no fun in the Texas sun. The third was a 99 coupe and it was great. I put 37k on it in 2 years, never a problem. My latest is an 07. Just got it in December, about 5k on it. No problems and I really enjoy it more than the 99.

Jim
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vettn71
This is my fourth vette as a daily driver. The first one was a 60 with a 350HP 350. It really sucked as a DD. The second was a 71 LS5. It was better, but no fun in the Texas sun. The third was a 99 coupe and it was great. I put 37k on it in 2 years, never a problem. My latest is an 07. Just got it in December, about 5k on it. No problems and I really enjoy it more than the 99.

Jim
Great to hear, so many passionate Vette owners on here I love it
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
BrendanS
Intermediate

One other question, is there a certain year I should look out for? My price range is pretty much $30-$35K so it'd probably be an 05/06
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a great daily driver. I put on 300 miles a week without any hiccups.

After tuning and intake/exhaust work I pull 32-34 mpg on the freeway at 65-70mph...it always stuns people, and then you hit the pedal to the floor and stun them again

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette as a DD

Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '13

Just bought mine a few months ago with the intent to DD. When I drive it to work, it makes me smile every time. Some days I like it quiet listening to the great stereo and enjoying the great air conditioner. Other days I pop the top and enjoy the sweet exhaust tone.

but now I am getting shy and leave it at home when it is going to rain so I don't have to wash it again, or don't like it getting full of the pollen dust flying around. I need to get rid of the backup car.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
hongkongstewy
Racer

One other question, is there a certain year I should look out for? My price range is pretty much $30-$35K so it'd probably be an 05/06
I have an 05, daily driver lightly modded, No issues with her, I keep her well maintained, she has been on 2 cross country trips and did well.
As for daily driving back and forth to work I usually average 17MPG; Highway trips 26+MPG...of course if you have your foot into it, those numbers do go down...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

-Brendan
If well equipped, snow is not an issue: Corvette Does Snow Driving School

Well, okay, if there is 20" of powder stuff, it's a problem

Here's my personal limit:

It's my DD and doing just fine.

a++ Cedric

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette as a DD