C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Key Fob woes

I thought the key fob/keyless ignition was a pretty neat until today! I left the house but forgot something so went back to get it & when I went back in threw my keys & key fob down on table... Left them right there and drove away! I thought the car would stall after going out of range! Once I got here iand shut the car off it asked me something about the fobs & if I wanted to shut it off, I had no choice to cause I had to get to a meeting asap so shut it off, and then I realized I left my key fob at home! I left the door propped so I could at least get into my car after, so now I'm stranded here waiting for my sister to bring me the key fob... Gonna be at least an hour & half! Thank god for Blackberry & the forum to play with!
Not soo much a fan of the keyless thing right now!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
SCoach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the key-fob-over-the-phone trick would work to start the car???
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoach
I wonder if the key-fob-over-the-phone trick would work to start the car???
Nope, will not work.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

You wouldn't want the car to stall when it got out of range because then if you were driving along with the fob and there was a momentary interference from something, the car would stall...this could happen on the freeway etc. Also, fob batteries would only last a very short time if the car were constantly querying the fob to see if it was still in the car..
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 74VETTE
I thought the key fob/keyless ignition was a pretty neat until today! I left the house but forgot something so went back to get it & when I went back in threw my keys & key fob down on table... Left them right there and drove away! I thought the car would stall after going out of range! Once I got here iand shut the car off it asked me something about the fobs & if I wanted to shut it off, I had no choice to cause I had to get to a meeting asap so shut it off, and then I realized I left my key fob at home! I left the door propped so I could at least get into my car after, so now I'm stranded here waiting for my sister to bring me the key fob... Gonna be at least an hour & half! Thank god for Blackberry & the forum to play with!
Not soo much a fan of the keyless thing right now!
What would you have done if those had been car keys instead of a fob? When you got to where you were going, you would have had no way to shut off the engine!

Several important things to remember about fobs, just like every other new thing. Fobs are actually about the best thing that's come along since sliced bread.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

I would have never been able to drive away if they werre simple car keys, cause I would have had to turnoff the engine to get back into the house... No big deal though, I'm just mad at myself really...
And probly better car doesn't just stall once outta range, could be highly unsafe for many reasons...
Well now I know not to do that again!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, and keys are great until the day you lock your keys in the car.

Keep the fob and your keys in your pocket, simple enough. I like the keyless setup and wouldn't want to go back to keys.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 74VETTE
I would have never been able to drive away if they werre simple car keys, cause I would have had to turnoff the engine to get back into the house... No big deal though, I'm just mad at myself really...
And probly better car doesn't just stall once outta range, could be highly unsafe for many reasons...
Well now I know not to do that again!
It's a "teachable moment"...LOL
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Personally, I love the FOB. I just stick it in my pants pocket when I leave the house and don't take it out until I get home. I only have 1 key on my FOB... my house key. All others are relegated to a separate key ring that usually stays in my glove box.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Live and Learn. I'll bet that ain't gonna happen again.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
AgCorvette
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm definitely not a fan of the new key fob system on the C6.

I've also locked myself out of the car twice, but more importantly, I'm hoping to keep my car for a long time, and I really question whether the electronic door latches will still be working in 20 years, and if they are not, how easy will it be to find replacement parts.

The "traditional" lock and key method (with or without the fob for the door locks/alarm) was extremely reliable. My 20 year old Ford Ranger, my Dad's 60 year old MG (ignition only, no door locks) all still work perfectly. I suspect that will not be the case with my C6 :-(
Old 10-05-2010, 04:34 PM
dagartdan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On Star? If you have this and its activated, I wonder if they can start your car? I know they can unlock doors?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dagartdan
On Star? If you have this and its activated, I wonder if they can start your car? I know they can unlock doors?
No, they cannot start it.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VettinFan
Live and Learn. I'll bet that ain't gonna happen again.

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, they cannot start it.
Ya, I figured that much out as well
Old 10-06-2010, 01:29 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebowski
Yeah, and keys are great until the day you lock your keys in the car.

Keep the fob and your keys in your pocket, simple enough...
Lots of people have experienced the hatch area "dead zone."

Put the FOB in a coat/briefcase/whatever, put it in the hatch area, then close the hatch... You just locked yourself out!

I agree, no problems with the FOB in a pocket. Just put your keys in a separate pocket, or they might press against a FOB button. Very annoying when the alarm is activated unexpectedly.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by AgCorvette
I'm definitely not a fan of the new key fob system on the C6.

I've also locked myself out of the car twice, but more importantly, I'm hoping to keep my car for a long time, and I really question whether the electronic door latches will still be working in 20 years, and if they are not, how easy will it be to find replacement parts.

The "traditional" lock and key method (with or without the fob for the door locks/alarm) was extremely reliable. My 20 year old Ford Ranger, my Dad's 60 year old MG (ignition only, no door locks) all still work perfectly. I suspect that will not be the case with my C6 :-(
Power door locks and power windows have been around a long time and I imagine GM has improved on the design over the years.

It's also a great opportunity for some off-in-the-future aftermarket company to manufacture C6 'restoration' parts.

My 40+ year old MG has had too many electric fuel pumps, wiper motors, alternators, etc. replaced over the years (purchased in '73). A British car with Lucas electrics is probably not the best example in this case.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

suggestion: even tho you may need other keys (key ring), keep your fob and house door key on one of those round rings, attached to one of those "d" ring clip on things separated by a very short nylon strap (about 5-6 inches). clip it to your belt loop as you leave the house. 2 things I found: 1-on the left side pocket it just hands loosely in there so no touching anything else; 2-I don't leave my fob or house key anywhere without the other. oh, and the third thing is, I have to physically detach it from the belt loop.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob woes

Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Power door locks and power windows have been around a long time and I imagine GM has improved on the design over the years.

It's also a great opportunity for some off-in-the-future aftermarket company to manufacture C6 'restoration' parts.

My 40+ year old MG has had too many electric fuel pumps, wiper motors, alternators, etc. replaced over the years (purchased in '73). A British car with Lucas electrics is probably not the best example in this case.

Lucas - the company that invented darkness. I had a 71 MGB when I was in high school and college - loved the car, hated the electronics.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
cclive
Team Owner

A long time ago, one of the magazines called it "the evil ghost of Joseph Lucas"....I have always remembered that characterization....funny.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

I wear geans most of the time and they still have a watch pocket. No wait, nobody carries a pocket watch anymore,it's a FOB pocket.
I carry house key and such on key ring and FOB in "FOB pocket", don't take it out till change geans. Works great.

Did put it in slacks pocket with cell phone once now that made some strange things happen. Didn't do that again.

Quick Reply: Key Fob woes