C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement for base model 2005 C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
alexlate
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch replacement for base model 2005 C6

Hey,

I hope someone can help me clarify this. I have a 2005 C6 that I purchased not too long ago. It handles and drives great - I absolutely love it. However I started to think that I might need to replace my clutch soon. And that is my main question. When I search for corvette clutches online (Ebay) all I get are the ones for C6 Z06 LS7. My car has LS2 engine. Will that clutch fit my base 2005 C6?
I am looking at this auction in particular: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It also says that I need to have LS1/LS6 hydraulics. Since I have LS2 I guess I have to buy those as well? And lastly how come I cannot find simply GM OEM stock LS2 clutch kit for my model?

Anyone who replies big thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Two quick things that come to mind:

Why do you think that you need to replace the clutch? It could be the clutch hydraulic system that is acting up, you need to flush the clutch fluid, this is a common problem on these cars. The clutch itself may be fine.

And... are you aware how difficult it is to replace the clutch on a C6 Corvette? It is a BIG job. You have to drop the entire rear-end, tranny and torque tube, basically take the entire drive-train out of the car from the clutch on back. Unless you are very experienced and have a very well equipped shop, you should consider bringing the car to a Corvette specialty shop or dealer. These cars are not "erector set toys" like the musclecars of yesteryear. Gone are the good ole' days of swapping a clutch in your driveway after breakfast and being done by lunch time.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet
Two quick things that come to mind:

Why do you think that you need to replace the clutch? It could be the clutch hydraulic system that is acting up, you need to flush the clutch fluid, this is a common problem on these cars. The clutch itself may be fine.

And... are you aware how difficult it is to replace the clutch on a C6 Corvette? It is a BIG job. You have to drop the entire rear-end, tranny and torque tube, basically take the entire drive-train out of the car from the clutch on back. Unless you are very experienced and have a very well equipped shop, you should consider bringing the car to a Corvette specialty shop or dealer. These cars are not "erector set toys" like the musclecars of yesteryear. Gone are the good ole' days of swapping a clutch in your driveway after breakfast and being done by lunch time.

And doing the oil pan is no fun either.

So much for it being just a 'Chevy'
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

The GM replacement clutch for the LS2 is the LS7 clutch. Also, the early 2005 LS2 clutch has a tech. bulletin. Clutch assemblys made prior to (can't remember exact date 2004) may need replacement due to pedal staying near the floor after high rpm shift. The information can be found here.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:21 PM
7795TAs
Instructor

I think that the LS7 clutch replaced the old LS2 clutch. I am not 100% sure I could be wrong. Someone will answer that knows for sure.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

LS-7 clutch was used in all vettes built for the 07 model year. Great clutch!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM
alexlate
7th Gear

Default Thanks for clarifying

Thanks for quick replies guys,

The reason why I am looking at clutch is I feel a very slight grinding sensation going from 1-2-3-4. It does not happen all the time - it does it only at lower RPMs. (Difficult to explain - as I am releasing clutch pedal and it is about to engage the gear I can feel like it slightly slipping for just a moment.) It is very slight and at this point changing clutch probably is not necessary. And ofcourse I will not be changing it by myself - I was just trying to see if I could save some money by purchasing it myself and not through a dealer.

Vet, I will change the clutch fluid as you mentioned. It seems to be a great way and easy way to make sure that at least hydrolics are at their optimal.

As I mentioned I bought my (dream)car used at 50,000 miles - I am not sure how previous owner drove it so I am just being ready for anything that might come my way .

But again, thank you (Wass and others) for clarifying - this info definitely helps.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Gears grinding indicates the clutch is not fully releasing. Check that the clutch fluid is full, and clean. Possibly needs bleeding. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlate
Thanks for quick replies guys,

Vet, I will change the clutch fluid as you mentioned. It seems to be a great way and easy way to make sure that at least hydrolics are at their optimal.
Looks like the others have you covered. If you need the DIY on clutch fluid replacement, here you go:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...al-issues.html
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too havea clutch problem! Mine feels like it is GRINDING WHEN YOU DEPRESS THE PEDAL!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch replacement for base model 2005 C6

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement for base model 2005 C6