C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with my 2 day old gs vert, please help me

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:08 AM
nygsvert
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default problems with my 2 day old gs vert, please help me

On Saturday 6-19-10 I purchased a 2010 corvette GS convertible 6spd in Paramus, NJ. On Father's Day while in my garage trying unsuccessfully to program the universal remote to open my garage door, I began to notice problems with the car. First, the garage remote failed to pair, then I noticed that the button on the dash to activate the 4way flashers (hazard) didn't work. I also couldn't program my home address in the factory nav unit. There is blue tooth issues where I cant answer an incoming call via the steering wheel button. But the mother of all disappointments was when on Monday evening I took my bro for a ride in the car when all of a sudden the engine went into limp mode.the engine light came on, the car's engine power greatly reduced, a 3 part message was flashing stating "service active handling"," service traction control"," reduced engine power". I had to slowly trek back home. I tried shutting and restarting the car but to no avail. I am freaking out right now. I wasn't driving too fast or anything crazy for this to happen. I will be calling the dealer as soon as it opens but can someone please help me with some good advice or feedback. When I bought the car it already had 100 miles on it which the salesman stated was due to the car being driven to a car show. I just hope I didn't buy a problematic car. This is my first corvette and i never had a problem with a brand new car before. I'm stressed. thank you in advance for your help and/or advice.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Call your dealer - immediately!
Whatever it is, you need to alert them so they can come get it and fix it under warranty.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 867 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks like you're not alone....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...skins-too.html

Get to the dealer ASAP.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Don't mess around....get on the phone immediately!

And let us know how you make out.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, make certain the battery is fully charged.

Strange things seem to happen when the battery isn't fully charged.

Best of luck with your new GS, it's a tremendous vehicle, enjoy.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Don't panic, your car just has something wrong and went into limp mode to protect itself. There's nothing you could have done that would have caused this, so the problem is likely in the electronics.

Error codes will have been generated and recorded in the car's computer, so the dealer should have a very good idea of what went wrong. It may be something very minor and easily taken care, so don't get too worked up at this point.

You'll have the car back soon and all will be right.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paramus Chevy is pretty good, that's where I bought my last 2 Vettes and always get them serviced there.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Good luck with the dealer and I hope all turns out well and most likely a weak battery if the GS was on the lot for some time
Old 06-22-2010, 09:21 AM
AlfredMay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back to the dealer is the best advice, but if you want to know more right now, then press the On Star button and when you get an answer ask the rep to run a remote diagnostic check.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 AM
redjetty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know its a pain and very dis-appointing to you right now, but let me try and give you some words of encouragement..... I bought a new 08 and did the factory thing where you pick the car up at the museum.. Well after a day of touring the plant and museum, I was ready to leave in my brand new vette with only 5 miles on it. I was only 2 miles away on the interstate when my check engine light came on the car started shaking violently. I pulled over on the shoulder, called the museum, they came and limped me back to the plant and fixed my car the next day, causing me another stay in Bowling Green,,, But,,they FIXED IT!!! I have 20,200 miles on it today and couldnt be happier with it,,,, so look for whats to come with the car,,,, many years of fun fun fun!!,,, rj
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
ryanc440
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I hope everything works out for you. I am waiting for delivery of my new 2010 and I have seen several stories like this which makes me nervous, but then you have to remember that there are several thousand other cars out there with no issues. As others have said, C5 and C6 Vettes do some pretty odd things when the battery is not full up and it could be something as simple as putting a new battery in. It could also be a bad BCM straight from the plant; they've been known to cause issues like what you experienced and should be fairly easy to diagnose. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be enjoying your car in no time
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
nygsvert
Instructor

Default 2day old 2010gsvert being flatbedded back to dealer

Thanks for the feedback everybody, the car is on its way back to the dealer. Dave, the service mgr. at paramus chevy in NJ is on it. I spoke to him this morning about my issues and he diapatched a flatbed to my house in upstate NY. I hope everything works out & I will post the outcome. c u soon
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted. Paramus does a lot of vette work. Though I didn't buy mine there, they are the only dealer that I allowed to lay hands on my car when the CES light was on.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your problems. In general I think all vehicles today are too complicated. A big part of this is that the engine is controlled by a sophisticated computer and is part of a local network of sensors etc.

There's just so much to go wrong and in many cases it's not hardware it's software.

It's a bummah when the engine goes limp. But, you know, being 60 now, and having grown up on cast iron 396s, most of your "problems" concern things that I wouldn't even bother with. You know, the blue tooth, and nav, and garage door opener , and worst of all not being able to answer a telephone call ....

With your steering wheel!!!!

First things first there.....you have a performance car. If you had a new high end beemer or lexus or whatnot and these little fluffy things didn't work it would be BIG. But you have a kick butt performance car not a luxury car with fancy options.

First thing is to get the engine running and not cloud the situation with the dealer with all this , uh, other stuff.

To me, and I are old now, the greatest thing about a personal performance car is that you can get out and be alone with the handling and performance. I know, I'm old. But even having incoming phone calls would defeat my entire purpose of having the car. I want to get away from the office. In a beemer I understand...it goes with the image of the harried executive.

Nav? I use maps. Garage door opener? I use a separate remote that I can "bring inside" in case I have to leave the car out.

So, please don't get offended here. Remember I'm old. Have mercy. I don't understand that life revolves around talking on the telephone in your car. I've never done it and never will.

In my opinion you need to get on the engine "limp" problem pronto 'cause that's why you bought the car, I presume.

I hope you get it running great and , also, that eventually, you get all these other "little" things fixed and working to your satisfaction. I also hope that someday you would consider my suggestion and turn off the nav, use the map in your head, turn off the telephone, and keep in mind that a very large integrated computer/cell system is tracking your car no matter where you go and no matter what you do.

Then read Orwell's novel "1984". It may not have been required in school for you.

Last edited by OregonC6; 06-22-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully it's something simple like a loose ground/terminal or a questionable battery.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Sorry for your problems. In general I think all vehicles today are too complicated. A big part of this is that the engine is controlled by a sophisticated computer and is part of a local network of sensors etc.

There's just so much to go wrong and in many cases it's not hardware it's software.

It's a bummah when the engine goes limp. But, you know, being 60 now, and having grown up on cast iron 396s, most of your "problems" concern things that I wouldn't even bother with. You know, the blue tooth, and nav, and garage door opener , and worst of all not being able to answer a telephone call ....

First things first there.....you have a performance car. If you had a new high end beemer or lexus or whatnot and these little fluffy things didn't work it would be BIG. But you have a kick butt performance car not a luxury car with fancy options.

First thing is to get the engine running and not cloud the situation with the dealer with all this , uh, other stuff.

To me, and I are old now, the greatest thing about a personal performance car is that you can get out and be alone with the handling and performance. I know, I'm old. But even having incoming phone calls would defeat my entire purpose of having the car. I want to get away from the office. In a beemer I understand...it goes with the image of the harried executive.

Nav? I use maps. Garage door opener? I use a separate remote that I can "bring inside" in case I have to leave the car out.

So, please don't get offended here. Remember I'm old. Have mercy. I don't understand that life revolves around talking on the telephone in your car. I've never done it and never will.

In my opinion you need to get on the engine "limp" problem pronto 'cause that's why you bought the car, I presume.

I hope you get it running great and , also, that eventually, you get all these other "little" things fixed and working to your satisfaction. I also hope that someday you would consider my suggestion and turn off the nav, use the map in your head, turn off the telephone, and keep in mind that a very large integrated computer/cell system is tracking your car no matter where you go and no matter what you do.

Then read Orwell's novel "1984". It may not have been required in school for you.

The more options you have the more problems you will have.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chances are good it is one of 3 things.
1. Weak battery/ bad battery
2. Bad ground connection
3. The BCM will need to be reflashed

I've read instances on here from various people that had those exact same problems and it was always one of the 3 above, but since it's headed to the dealer, let us know how it goes and what it was. Once you get it back enjoy the heck out of it!!

Get notified of new replies

To problems with my 2 day old gs vert, please help me

Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Ha.....a man of my heart! When I ordered my C6, I was very clear to the salesman....'vert, Z51, M6....that's it! No HUD, no heated seats, no iPod, no telephone, no magic fingers massager, no framus reciprocal transformer .... I want to DRIVE the sucker, not sleep in it!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave S
Ha.....a man of my heart! When I ordered my C6, I was very clear to the salesman....'vert, Z51, M6....that's it! No HUD, no heated seats, no iPod, no telephone, no magic fingers massager, no framus reciprocal transformer .... I want to DRIVE the sucker, not sleep in it!
... mostly.

Z51, M6, 2LT. I didn't order the 3LT because I didn't want all of the extra electronics. Specifically, the memory function that makes the seats and steering wheel go back and forth every single time you get in and out of the car... just more stuff than will wear out and fail later down the road.

But I do wish I could have ordered HUD as an option. Really - no one would order their car without guages. And the HUD is just a better method of displaying the info. Sometime in the near future I'll be placing an order with PartsTaxi....
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

You use a remote for the garage door, get rid of it the door has a handle just like all the other doors in the house, who needs all that "fancy pants" stuff. Just use the handle.
PS, No such thing as a "large intergrated computer/cell system that tracks your every move no matter what you do", thats just is not true.

PSS, I am also part of the "Baby Boomers" generation and I use a cell phone, text, (not while driving although I have the knowledge and capabiltiy to), nav unit, power seats, memory seats, heated seats, HUD, ipod, and everyother new technologh device I can, to improve the experience of driving my MODERN performance car. If you don't you are missing a large part of the experience.

Quick Reply: problems with my 2 day old gs vert, please help me