C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6, Tesla & Friends at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM
jc9767
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6, Tesla & Friends at the Track

Long post, for those with ADHD pictures at end.

My wife’s company is working with Tesla and their board wanted to see a Tesla Roadster. We posted on this forum and the Tesla Forum and we were able to find two owners who were willing to bring the cars to the Detroit area. The company rented Waterford Hills Raceway for the day for a ride and drive event and I was invited to bring my 2008 C6 for the day.

The track is 1.5 mile, narrow, and twisty, but it does have a fairly long backstretch that lets you open it up a bit. We had the whole track to ourselves and the cars there were my C6, two Tesla Roadsters, a Porsche 911 and a BMW 745. My C6 is a totally stock, standard suspension coupe and I have never been on a track with it or anything else. I got the standard suspension because I thought I would never have my car on a track, but I guess you can never know what opportunities can come up in life.

Although I have no experience on a track, some of the other drivers were well acquainted with the venue. I did no prep work for my car, so I didn’t want to rag on it because I was worried about the brakes heating up. I think I only looked down at the speedometer once, I was going 70 at the start of the backstretch. I let the other drivers try out the C6 and they had no problems ragging on it. Their impressions were that the Corvette had better handling than the Tesla at speed due to the Tesla’s 35/65 weight distribution caused by the heavy batteries over the rear axle. Their only complaint with the Corvette was that they thought it needed bigger rotors.

It was very hard keeping track of where the Tesla’s were on the course from the infield, they were just so quiet. No one had a problem knowing where the Corvette was, the NPP exhaust sounded awesome opening up around the course. I got to drive the Tesla, it has a very small steering wheel and no power steering, but once you are up to speed it handled fine. Getting into the Tesla felt like getting into a C4, you sit down in it. I put the key in the ignition and tried to turn it over, but then realized it just turns on or off. It is hard to know if it is really going without looking at the gauges, you just push a button to put it gear and press the gas to see if it is running.

Driving the Corvette around a track is great fun, but if I was really serious about doing track events I think instead of a $50k C6 I would prefer a $5k car with $10k of suspension and brake upgrades. That would make me and my insurance company a little less stressed. With that said, everyone should have a chance to get their Corvette on the track just to see what these cars can really do.

And now for pics:
C6 and Tesla meet at the office. My wife’s co-worker commented that the C6 looks like a minivan next to the Tesla.

The vehicles:
Getting the C6 onto the track:

First lap:

Tesla, with C6 in the background:

Bringing it in:

BMW, with Porsche in the background:
Old 06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

That had to be a real blast and nice photos
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Wow-- lucky guy . . . great wife and an ideal day!

Looks like you had a blast - -thanks for sharing the pics.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

Looks like a fun day.....

PS the Z51... does have bigger Rotors...
Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 AM
jc9767
Racer

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Looks like a fun day.....

PS the Z51... does have bigger Rotors...
Yes, for this particular day the Z51 package would have been more appropriate. Actually it was my wife's boss who made the comments about the need for bigger rotors, he used to drive Rally cars. I told him that the ZR1 has upgraded brakes and that he just needs to give my wife a big bonus so we can buy one for our next event.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

I got to drive a Tesla at a track event last week. It was fast and quiet. It accelerates like a car thats always in first gear and has no redline. The cabin was very tight, the footwell especially. I don't think you could drive it while wearing boots.

Your insurance company wont care about track things. There not paying if something happens.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ipo....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM
jc9767
Racer

Originally Posted by Batman 357
I got to drive a Tesla at a track event last week. It was fast and quiet. It accelerates like a car thats always in first gear and has no redline. The cabin was very tight, the footwell especially. I don't think you could drive it while wearing boots.

Your insurance company wont care about track things. There not paying if something happens.
Fast and quiet is a good description of a Tesla. Without the sound it lost some of the fun factor, but the track's neighbors would really appreciate a race of only Teslas. The one thing I liked about the Tesla was the regenerative braking allowed you to take some of the turns without hitting the brake pedal as much, it is as close as you could come to a downshift.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Neverenough14
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

They have already issues a couple TSB's...there will be more. So to answer your question.....yes, GM is aware.

Get notified of new replies

To C6, Tesla & Friends at the Track

Quick Reply: C6, Tesla & Friends at the Track