C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Display Blank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
TexBlade
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Nav Display Blank?

Newbie here, started up (09 C6) this morning and the nav display was blank.....but the radio was playing. After about two minutes I shut it down and re-started, nav fired up. Please give me some info on this one!!! Oh.........and the other two times I started it up this morning all was working fine.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Have you read through the C6 Navigation sticky in this forum?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rough-5-a.html
Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 2009 and had the same problem but usally when it was cold out. I brought it to the dealer and they did their thing. I copied the following from someelse's post.

#09-08-44-019: Intermittent Navigation or Radio Screen Blank After Vehicle Starts, Radio Controls May Not Function (Update Radio Audio Software Using Disc) - (Sep 29, 2009)

Subject: Intermittent Navigation or Radio Screen Blank After Vehicle Starts, Radio Controls May Not Function (Update Radio Audio Software Using Disc)

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Corvette

Equipped With Navigation Radio RPO U3U

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that when starting the vehicle, the navigation or radio screen stays blank.

The technician may notice that restarting the vehicle may result in the radio operating properly.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a radio software timing anomaly.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the navigation radio for this condition.

Note: Wearing latex gloves is recommended while performing the software update in order to avoid fingerprints on the discs and the radio.

Update the radio audio software with the disc using the following procedure:

Technicians are to contact TAC when this condition exists in order to obtain the initial copy of the radio audio software update disc for their dealer.
1.1. TAC will record all of the necessary case information and send an electronic copy to the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) for the disc.

1.2. The WPC will create the radio audio software update disc request. The first copy of the disc is free. Additional copies of the disc must be purchased.

Note: The update CANNOT be performed with the ignition in the accessory mode.

Turn the ignition ON or start the engine.
Note: After the Corvette logo appears on the radio screen, there is a delay before the radio controls will function. This is a normal condition while the radio comes online.

Press the Eject button at the bottom center of the radio bezel to open the front panel.
Press the DVD button next to the bottom slot to eject the navigation radio map disc. Remove and carefully set aside the map disc.
⇒ If the map disc is not loaded in the radio, you will only hear the DVD eject mechanism operate but a disc will not eject. Wait for the mechanism to stop running before proceeding to the next step.

Note: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER TO THE RADIO WHILE THE SOFTWARE IS LOADING.

Insert the radio audio software update disc into the bottom DVD slot.
Note: THE RADIO DISPLAY WILL TURN OFF WHILE THE SOFTWARE IS LOADING.

WAIT four to five minutes for the software update to complete. WHEN the software update is complete, the radio will reboot and the Corvette logo will appear.
Note: The radio audio software update disc CAN BE reused. DO NOT give the disc to the customer.

Press the DVD button next to the bottom slot to eject the disc. Remove and retain the radio audio software update disc.
Insert the customers navigation radio map disc into the bottom slot. Touch the "I agree" screen button.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
newbeetle18t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this same problem last week with my 2008.

Thanks for the post Lou. On my next trip in for warranty work I will request that TSB performed.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Spankie
4th Gear

TexBlade, FNG here also. I am glad you asked this question as my wife left for work this morning and called me with the same problem. I have asked her to go out and start the it up and update me if it is working. One other question for the experts regarding this matter is will this/has it been a reoccuring problem and should I just take it in for the software update. Reason I ask is sometimes it seems like I am getting the run around when I am dealing with the dealership.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:33 AM
TexBlade
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spankie
TexBlade, FNG here also. I am glad you asked this question as my wife left for work this morning and called me with the same problem. I have asked her to go out and start the it up and update me if it is working. One other question for the experts regarding this matter is will this/has it been a reoccuring problem and should I just take it in for the software update. Reason I ask is sometimes it seems like I am getting the run around when I am dealing with the dealership.
Thanks Guys! Spankie, copy, paste, and print the TSB#09-08-44-019 that Lou posted and take it to your dealer, they will have to fix it. I will get mine looked at soon!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a reoccurring problem with mine until I brought it to the dealer and they did the fix. Its only been a couple of weeks but it has not happened since.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 PM
coolgmack
5th Gear

Default 2007 vette radio/navigation blank w/ no controls

Took the vette to the dealer for the radio audio software upgrade - next day (morning) Radio still froze up (still had audio) called dealer so far no call back. Will have them do it again and maybe disconnect battery and reboot. Any suggustions.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had the "no screen" problem on our 2009 w/nav. For us, it happened very often in cold (below freezing) weather, not at warmer temps.

Dealer did the re-flash about a year ago, perfect since then.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by coolgmack
Took the vette to the dealer for the radio audio software upgrade - next day (morning) Radio still froze up (still had audio) called dealer so far no call back. Will have them do it again and maybe disconnect battery and reboot. Any suggustions.
Let me know how it goes at the dealer. If your radio’s still freezing after this dealer visit, be sure to send me a PM.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-18-2011, 09:22 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Was this just an 09 issue? I have an 06 and that has never happened in 30K.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
JWall64
Intermediate

Where can I get this update disc? Does anyone have a part number?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:37 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JWall64
My understanding is that the dealer has the disk and they retain it after flashing the system. I don't beleive you can get one yourself.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:18 PM
coolgmack
5th Gear

Default 2007 vette radio/nav goes blank

I took the vette back to the dealer this morning and they will discuss this issue with the GM Tech's back east and will let me know what they come up with. I'll post as I get more info
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

had that happen first time while out of town shut car off and it came back haven't had the issue since
Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by JWall64
Have you checked out the GM Nav Disc website?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Have you checked out the GM Nav Disc website?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
The one where the upgrade disc costs more than a good Garmin unit? I don't understand why the price is so high for an upgrade disc for a car that we own and the nav. system is built in. Things that make you go WHAT.

Get notified of new replies

To Nav Display Blank?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
coolgmack
5th Gear

Default 2007 vette radio/navigation blank w/ no controls

Dealer called me and they (GM) are going to replace the radio (under warranty) being the update disc felled to correct the problem of the system freezing up. I'll get it in about a week. Glad the update worked for everyone else. Go Figure
Old 08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
coolgmack
5th Gear

This is a great site for vette owners
Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
ta-kid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 2006 Zo6 and have the same issue as described in the service bulletin for 2007 and up.Mine is at the shop right now for that and a flashing climate control.

Quick Reply: Nav Display Blank?