C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen C6 roofs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Stolen C6 roofs?

I didn't want to hijack another member's thread that was about having his radio/nav and roof stolen with some associated damage.

Years ago, it seemed somewhat common to hear about C3's having their T-tops stolen. Today, on the forum, was the first time I heard about a C6's roof being stolen. I had always wondered why it seemed that C6 roofs weren't as popular with thieves. Any opinions?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:03 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
I didn't want to hijack another member's thread that was about having his radio/nav and roof stolen with some associated damage.

Years ago, it seemed somewhat common to hear about C3's having their T-tops stolen. Today, on the forum, was the first time I heard about a C6's roof being stolen. I had always wondered why it seemed that C6 roofs weren't as popular with thieves. Any opinions?
Mine stays folded up mostly
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Smart***
Old 07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Possibly because it's more difficult to break into C6s than it was to break into C3s. Also, C3s were around for 15 model years. C6s have only been around for 6 model years.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Ya... Vert... but Targa is REALLY hard to fold...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by JimTN
Possibly because it's more difficult to break into C6s than it was to break into C3s. Also, C3s were around for 15 model years. C6s have only been around for 6 model years.
I agree, to a point, about comparing the length of model years between the C6 and C3, but 6 "model yrs" has given plenty of opportunity for a measurable amount of C6 roof thefts.

As far as the difficulty factor; I don't see much difference in breaking the window of a C3 and a C6 to steal the roof, as is the case of the other member's thread.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
wdavis
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thieves dont have to steal them. They just wait for them to fly off and pick them up off of the side of the road
Old 07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
mliebs
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I had 2 tops stolen on my C4 in the late 80's, both times they broke the windows and took the top. The second time it was pouring outside and the car was totally f***ed up by the time I found it.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by wdavis
Thieves dont have to steal them. They just wait for them to fly off and pick them up off of the side of the road
Yeah, but not much value on the black market for damaged roofs from the "Flying Roof club" members.

Originally Posted by mliebs
I had 2 tops stolen on my C4 in the late 80's, both times they broke the windows and took the top. The second time it was pouring outside and the car was totally f***ed up by the time I found it.
Wow, that sux!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM
wdavis
Melting Slicks

Yeah, but not much value on the black market for damaged roofs from the "Flying Roof club" members.
a lucky landing though with a roof that didnt hit the pavement, and you're golden!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
vdaddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by wdavis
Now, that's funny.

Really, what's the "market" for used painted roofs? Every C6 comes with one already. Why steal something that has very, very little value?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by vdaddy
Now, that's funny.

Really, what's the "market" for used painted roofs? Every C6 comes with one already. Why steal something that has very, very little value?
Explain that to mliebs......

Originally Posted by mliebs
Old 07-10-2010, 09:42 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Ya... Vert... but Targa is REALLY hard to fold...
Yeah, you gotta be REALLY strong
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

All of the T top cars I've owned had some sort of keyed locking available, the last being factory from GM on my 02 Z 28. I was surprised to not find anything to lock down the top on the C6 in any of the aftermarket catalogs. I'd rather deal with a broken window than a broken window and a missing top. Any vendors looking for an opportunity?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by kevakasper
All of the T top cars I've owned had some sort of keyed locking available, the last being factory from GM on my 02 Z 28. I was surprised to not find anything to lock down the top on the C6 in any of the aftermarket catalogs. I'd rather deal with a broken window than a broken window and a missing top. Any vendors looking for an opportunity?
Exactly!

I've also wondered why there is not a roof lock GM option or aftermarket option since the C6's roof isn't any harder to steal than any other model's roof.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess this is a good reason to have your windows up when it's parked somewhere - it wouldn't take much for someone to just reach in and undo the levers and walk off with the top...I don't think the car would ever know....not that the windows would stop them if they really wanted it.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
I guess this is a good reason to have your windows up when it's parked somewhere - it wouldn't take much for someone to just reach in and undo the levers and walk off with the top...I don't think the car would ever know....not that the windows would stop them if they really wanted it.
OK, I know I'm taking this to an extreme, but, as far as a deterrent to a roof theft (C6), it would not matter to have the windows up or down and the roof stowed in the hatch area.

Now follow me here........roof is stowed and windows down. Bad guy knows to reach down and pull the manual door release to open door. The door is opened and the car alarm will activate as long as it was enabled.

Get notified of new replies

To Stolen C6 roofs?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:06 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I know I'm taking this to an extreme, but, as far as a deterrent to a roof theft (C6), it would not matter to have the windows up or down and the roof stowed in the hatch area.

Now follow me here........roof is stowed and windows down. Bad guy knows to reach down and pull the manual door release to open door. The door is opened and the car alarm will activate as long as it was enabled.
Actually I was thinking the roof is on the car, windows down. All they would have to do is reach in, undo the levers/hook - all within easy reach, and take the top. No need to open the door/hatch thus no alarm.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've never even thought about this aspect. Now, you all have given me something else to worry about. Any after marketers out there?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM
baows
Cruising

Default of little value?

I can't see a painted roof fetching too much money locally, although I am finding out now that the hardware is tough to find at a good price!!

Like posted above, unless you're rocking the plexi/tinted roof I doubt theyr'e in high demand. The only case I can think of a painted roof going missing is if somebody joined the FRC recently and stole or had their pals steal them a replacement. Even then it may not be an exact match/fade on it.

I too will now be paranoid of this, lol. My car's been parked for hours on end with the roof off and no super vision. Nah nevermind, I'm more worried about the birds dropping their gifts on my seats!

Quick Reply: Stolen C6 roofs?