C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think (hope) I fixed my turn signal / DRL bulb problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Napa C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think (hope) I fixed my turn signal / DRL bulb problem

I've owned my 2005 C6 for about 1 1/2 years and from the start there have been problems with those lights.

The first couple of times that the drivers side turn signal and/or DRL stopped working, I would replace the bulb (including using dielectric grease in the socket), but that only solved the problem for a few days. After a while I started looking at the 2-filiments, and I could see that neither were broken. So, after removing the bulb, I would just put it back into the socket and all would be fine again, but for only a few days. (BTW, during this time it was always the drivers side bulb that would go out, but one time the passenger side bulb stopped working). Also, during this time I would do things like turn off my DRLs while driving, but I knew that wasn't solving my porblem.

A couple weeks ago I decided to use the "search" feature on this forum to fully research the problem. I'm sure that many of you know what I discovered:

(1) My car is a 2005 - (Some think this is the reason for any problem I might have)
(2) There is a TSB about replacing the light harness to correct the problem.
(3) There is a way to permanently disable the DRLs so as to avoid heat issues.
(4) Replace the socket.
(5) Clean the contacts inside the socket.
(6) Lots of other opinions/guesses.

I went for #5, the easiest/cheapest possible soulution, I cleaned the socket contacts. I did this because by now I knew that the bulbs were not burning out and I was disappointed that I hadn't thought of this earlier myself

After driving the car for several weeks, I do believe that I found the reason for the problem. I've also decided that if this happens again, I'll replace the entire socket.

I'm writing this to possibly help others who might have this kind of a problem, but mostly to take the opportunity to thank members of this forum for taking the time to discuss problems/solutions to all kinds issues that come up while we are enjoying our "dream cars" the Chevrolet Corvette!

Wish me luck!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I just had this start recently.

A few weeks ago I lost the driver's side DRL (and front turn signal of course). The bulb DID have an open filament and I replaced it with a new bulb. Just the other day, it died too and I'm looking for reasons (the so0cket looks fine with no signs of corrosion or heat related problems). I'll replace it one more time and, if that one dies too, I'm going to dig deeper.

I turn off DRLs pretty religiously by the way
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Daniel Redfoot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O No-

05 here too ( under 30k miles) and i literally just came in from the shop after changing the Drivers side turn sig bulb tonight.

Mine was black and obviously fried.

I hope this is not a trend...

Get notified of new replies

To I think (hope) I fixed my turn signal / DRL bulb problem

Quick Reply: I think (hope) I fixed my turn signal / DRL bulb problem