C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discoloration of the barrels of my 2010 GS Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
amramir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Discoloration of the barrels of my 2010 GS Chrome Wheels

The inside (barrel) of my 2010 GS chrome wheels became discolored or stained (I think) when I sprayed Armour-all wheel protectant on the wheels while they were still hot. Now I can not remove the stains in the barrel of the wheels (all four wheels were discolored) and my wheels look terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the RIGHT thing to do to fix this problem. Can the barrels be cleaned, painted, etc.? Has anyone had such a problem.

My 2004 Vette had chrome wheels and the barrel of the wheels was chrome also. I guess GM just decided to go cheap on the C6 wheels.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I *think* I know what you're talking about -- the inside part of the wheel behind the chrome outside. Mine is dirty with brake dust but I don't worry about it too much and haven't tried to put anything on them to clean the dust & dirt off. I don't have a clue how to remove stains on aluminum but something you might ponder is removing the wheels, clean them as well as you can with a degreaser and whatever else you think they need -- then spray paint that back side with a good high temp paint. Possibly an aluminum color paint or black. Honestly though I doubt anyone will notice your stained "barrels" -- you know it and it bothers you so your fixated on the problem. After your wheel barrels get another coating of brake dust on them they'll look fine again.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

That's another reason why I prefer my comp.gray wheels as the insides are also painted and don't "hold on" to the dust.I cleaned,primed,painted and clear coated the barrels on my chrome Z wheels so now they clean up well also
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
fun12bet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amramir
The inside (barrel) of my 2010 GS chrome wheels became discolored or stained (I think) when I sprayed Armour-all wheel protectant on the wheels while they were still hot. Now I can not remove the stains in the barrel of the wheels (all four wheels were discolored) and my wheels look terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the RIGHT thing to do to fix this problem. Can the barrels be cleaned, painted, etc.? Has anyone had such a problem.

My 2004 Vette had chrome wheels and the barrel of the wheels was chrome also. I guess GM just decided to go cheap on the C6 wheels.

Thanks for any help.
I use Meguiar's Hot Rims chrome wheel cleaner. The brake dust and dirt just melts off. I have a long brush that reaches all the way thru the wheel and cleans the barrel also. On painted wheels I use Turtle Wax F21 wheel cleaner. Works great also.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The barrels are painted.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like the heat caused a chemical reaction. I hope I am wrong.

The most I do to my wheels is to take them off, clean the whole thing, and then apply wax to them. I'm not using wheel wax yet cause I have not found any.

Does the stuff say anything about applying them to heated wheels?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fun12bet
I use Meguiar's Hot Rims chrome wheel cleaner. The brake dust and dirt just melts off. I have a long brush that reaches all the way thru the wheel and cleans the barrel also. On painted wheels I use Turtle Wax F21 wheel cleaner. Works great also.
on the F21, Can you show a picture.
I have had hi-polished C-6, Ten spokes, Ten spokes in Comp,
Plus the same wheels in zo6. never had the problem.
I do know some cleaners can damage a wheel if you don't rinse
them quick enough.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
amramir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
The barrels are painted.
Mine aren't! They are just metal behind the chrome facade.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

My '10 GS has the chrome wheels and the barrels are painted. Actually, I believe the whole wheel is chrome just painted over. I'm seriously thinking about painting the barrels black and be done with it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

The chrome wheels are chrome in the barrels and then coated over the chrome. I have seen this stuff stain too. I got my brake fluid/dust out with Easy Off oven cleaner (mineral spirits, Dawn soap, and alcohol would not work). Upside is none of these hurt the coating either. I made special effort to not get the oven cleaner on the chrome face and I did not leave it on any longer than needed.

That said, that coating seems like the same stuff on my wifes Solstice chrome wheels too. She had a shock leak oil on that coating and it made the coating very soft and sticky (which after cleaning hardend back up), so I think you may never get the stain out if the coating reacted with the Armor All. I only use Zaino on my wheels and no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Discoloration of the barrels of my 2010 GS Chrome Wheels

Quick Reply: Discoloration of the barrels of my 2010 GS Chrome Wheels