C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide for Importing a US C6 into BC

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 AM
fourarmo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide for Importing a US C6 into BC

Hi all,

Just brought in a 2008 Z51 from WA into BC. I found the process to be very confusing, with no real online resource that takes you thru the whole process. So as my first post here, I thought that I would post a set by step guide for everyone out there who is trying to put a deal together.

I bought mine from Joe at Speedway Chev. He found the car in LA, purchased it and drove it up to Monroe (near Everett) for me. I would recommend working with Joe if you live in BC and are looking to bring in a US car. Buying from a dealer brings a lot of peace of mind to the deal. Check Joe out at www.joeknowscorvettes.com

So this guide is from the point of view of buying from a dealer, but beyound the point of sale, everything would be the same for a private deal.

-make sure the paperwork (title, bill of sale)has been faxed to the correct border crossing 72 hours in advance of your trip (allow 4 business days to be sure)

-you must arrange for a 10 day ICBC “Binder” Insurance form, this covers you from the Dealer to your home, about $100

-bring utility bill (BC Hydro or Terasen Gas) for proof of residence outside WA to avoid state tax

-get the recall letter from GM

-go to Pacific Crossing in Blaine, only because the RIV office is just on the other side of the border

-drive to the border as you would usually go to cross into Canada, but pull to the left before the Canadian customs booths, beside the duty free shops

-park your vehicle there, then walk into the US Customs building (past all of the US border booths)

-look for the line that says “Exporting Vehicles from US”

-you have to show your title, they look for the matching paperwork, which they need to have held for 72 hours prior to crossing

-they stamp your title, give you a orange ticket to leave

-walk out, hand your ticket to a US Customs officer

-get back in your car, drive thru the regular crossing

-declare your vehicle and the purchase price

-they will direct you to pull into Canadian Customs on the left

-pay your $100 vehicle excise tax and 5% GST there, be sure to keep your receipt (HST does not apply to cars yet, but you will pay your PST later)

-drive out of the Canadian border crossing lot, turn immediately right on 0 (Zero) Ave, then left into the gated yard, a security guard will tell you where to go

-RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) office is on the first floor

-pay $195, they fax your paperwork, show them your receipt from the dealer, title and recall letter

-take the car home and park it, at this point your WA state permit (paper licence) expires, and the car is no longer insured for use, so do not drive it! (that’s the hard part)

-you receive an email 1-3 days later with a Form 2 that allows you to take the car for inspection

-determine which day you are going for inspection and where, any Canadian tire will do it

-the day before your inspection, go to any ICBC office (London Drugs) to get a free one day permit (paper licence) that allows you to take the car from your house to the inspection facility (Canadian Tire) the next day

-your ICBC insurance binder (if it is still within the 10 day period) will insure you, if its expired you will have to purchase additional insurance

-got to inspection, Canadian Tire opens at 7am, first come first serve basis

-if the tech is paying attention, your Corvette will fail inspection due to US switching that allows the daytime running lights to be turned off

-Canadian Tire can to the rewire there (at least they could in North Vancouver), 2 hours at $95 plus $30 shop supplies (Less money than GM)

-Canadian Tire will perform the Federal (free) and Provincial ($115) inspection

-you will have to pay $29 tire import tax as well

-your car passes inspection, they give you the completed and stamped form 1 and 2, as well as additional documentation for ICBC

-as long as it is valid, the one day ICBC permit also covers you to drive to the nearest ICBC insurance dealer that same day

-ICBC dealer needs the title, with proof of continuity of ownership... from original owner to Dealer, from Dealer to you, and bill of sale

-ICBC dealer needs the receipt from the border, this establishes the CND value they use to determine PST

-ICBC dealer needs the stamped Form 1, Form 2 and other documentation from your inspection facility

-ICBC needs to see the car, cannot issue insurance until they see it

-ICBC collects your 7% PST, insurance cost and licence registration fee ($18)

-attach your plate (yes, you do need a front plate in BC)

-at this point you are done, tho RIV will send you a sticker certifying that you have properly imported and registered the vehicle

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Nice of you to share. There have been several questions about the process from Canadian members over the years.

I think you should post this in the Canadian Forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/canadian-events-97/

Ask for comments and input from members who have done it. If you arrive at a consensus, PM a Moderator and ask that this be put in the Canadian Sticky section for future reference.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I agree, you should of come to the Cdn section and we could of guided you through the whole process, there is a ton of us who have done it numerous times.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Oh, forgot to ad. good post, but for sure it sounds like first timer instructions, there are a lot of shortcuts and unnecessary points you talk about but still good to be thorough for first timers.

Get notified of new replies

To Guide for Importing a US C6 into BC

Quick Reply: Guide for Importing a US C6 into BC