C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP!!! Angry cop = I need traffic lawyer in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NEED HELP!!! Angry cop = I need traffic lawyer in Houston, TX

Wow - so, that's a bad start to the weekend.

SHORT STORY:
I was pulled over on my way to work and received 8 (!!! !!!) tickets from a very angry LEO. He was out to get me. So, now, in order to keep my corvette and license, I need to fight these tickets. Any fellow Houston Corvette drivers know of a good traffic defense lawyer?

LONG STORY:
This guy was angry and out to get me. Here is my biggest crime in his eyes: I'm 24 and I'm driving a corvette. FYI: the cop was about 700ft behind me, in heavy traffic when his lights when on. As I was entering the freeway, traffic was stop and go on the entrance ramp and all cars were bumper to bumper - Ticket 1: following too closely. After I was on the freeway, I moved over 2 lanes to clear the traffic, but the short turn signal (3 flashes) stopped before I was fully in the 2nd lane - Ticket 2: Failure to use turn signal. As I was switching lanes, I sped up to the flow of traffic, 70-75 mph - Ticket 3. Then, the car in front of me slammed on the brakes and all traffic in my lane stopped abruptly. I quickly hit my brakes and moved over to the lane next to me that was clear. I didn't have a chance to use my turn signal because I was trying to avoid an accident. That was tickets 4, 5, and 6: Following too closely, failure to use turn signal, and unsafe lane change. Tickets 7 and 8 were for wrong address on driver's license (I've been at my new address for under 4 months) and no front license plate.

Basically, this guy saw a corvette and a young guy and was out to get me. I've only had 2 speeding tickets and the last one was more than 5 years ago. He said he was issuing me so many tickets because "I am a repeat offender and dangerous to others around me. I should be taken off the road."

I have no past history of aggressive or dangerous driving. I was polite to the LEO and assumed I was just getting a ticket for speeding - the flow of traffic in houston is always well above the speed limit. Now, I'm facing losing my license and having to sell the corvette because my insurance will skyrocket!

If you happen to know any good lawyers in TX or can offer up some helpful advice, that would be awesome. If you've fought some crazy tickets before, and have a good success story, that would be great to hear right now!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

#1, you deserved "a" ticket or two, but not 8 tickets.
#2, no court would ever convict you of 8 driving offenses in one incident.
#3, Call his supervisor, file a complaint based on him writing you 8 tickets at one time.( It's not like you killed someone or were even in an accident).
#4, Drop the attitude, be polite and don't complain....explain!
#5, Ask for a trial in front of the judge, any decent judge can see you were harrassed!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM
res0n0xg
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You absolutely should fight it, were you legitimately speeding? 75mph in a 60mph? Admit to that, then just explain all the other stuff like you did here.

You should be able to get them all dropped but speeding and no front plate if you speak to the judge nicely, then you can do defensive driving to ensure the speeding ticket does not go on your record.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Originally Posted by iridelow
#1, you deserved "a" ticket or two, but not 8 tickets.
#2, no court would ever convict you of 8 driving offenses in one incident.
#3, Call his supervisor, file a complaint based on him writing you 8 tickets at one time.( It's not like you killed someone or were even in an accident).
#4, Drop the attitude, be polite and don't complain....explain!
#5, Ask for a trial in front of the judge, any decent judge can see you were harrassed!

Thanks for the feedback!

#1: I agree with you. I'll take my 75 in a 60. Because I was going max 75. He said I was going 88!! Which would be impossible giving the traffic conditions. Plus, as stated, he was VERY far behind me. He didn't even tell me my "speed" until after I signed for the tickets even though I asked for it twice.
#2: I like that attitude and sure hope the judge agrees.
#3: Do you think I should wait till after the court hearing to call the supervisor and file a complaint? I'm half hoping he will forget to show up (even though he promised he would) and this would give him more fuel to show.
#4: I had no attitude whatsoever towards the cop. I'm just venting here.
#5: Here's to hoping I get a decent judge!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I doubt your age in a corvette had anything to do with it. You were caught swerving through traffic.

Don't call any supervisors yet. Find a lawyer and let them handle it.

Last edited by MARSC6; 07-23-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Good advice so far and I agree but I would also Lawyer up.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I doubt your age in a corvette had anything to do with it. You were caught swerving through traffic.
But the thing is, I wasn't "swerving". I was moving over lanes after I got on the highway. They were clear. Then I had to avoid an accident. I'm sure we can all agree here that our cars are cop magnets.

Another thing: He asked me "what are you doing driving this kind of car?" and "who got that car for you?" I worked hard in college and got a good job. I think with those questions, he clearly was "profiling" me.

Please try to be helpful. I'm a pretty stressed about this right now.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
rwatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask for a copy of his Police cam video. Its amazing how often the video will be "lost" or "the camera was defective that day" after you make the request.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by dvilin
Good advice so far and I agree but I would also Lawyer up.
Someone who specializes in traffic court cases.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

You got popped for what most of us have done, a little cut and thrust driving in a too congested space. Sounds like the LEO heaped it on (prob because of your age, teach the young'in a lesson doncha know).

You will be fine with representation.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattnelson819
But the thing is, I wasn't "swerving". I was moving over lanes after I got on the highway. They were clear. Then I had to avoid an accident. I'm sure we can all agree here that our cars are cop magnets.

Another thing: He asked me "what are you doing driving this kind of car?" and "who got that car for you?" I worked hard in college and got a good job. I think with those questions, he clearly was "profiling" me.

Please try to be helpful. I'm a pretty stressed about this right now.
Wow... I would lawyer up... there is no way all the tickets will stand...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I agree about getting a lawyer. Also subpoena the dash cam video of the "alleged incidents" If it shows in your favor fight it. If it is as you describe then more fuel to dismiss all the tickets, if he lied about one thing then his credibility goes out the window.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, whatever you do you need to talk to the LEOs supervisor/commander/shift sergeant or someone in charge of him. A LEO has no right to be anything but polite and professional to all citizens he has sworn to serve and protect. You need to find a lawyer and fight the tickets, you will get out of some of them and will probably be stuck with the most expensive one.

I wish you luck and I know how you feel, I am 24 and have a 08 vette and always get stare downs from LEOs. I am a Iraq War Veteran and have licenses plates/tags that say that so I believe they leave me alone if I am obeying the laws. No tickets yet (knock on wood)
Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Just remember.....there are always two sides of a story. Wish we could hear the other side!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would defer contacting anyone in the PD - contact a good attorney that is experienced in motor vehicle issues. They will do all the work, and odds are all the citations will be reduced and you'll end up paying only some court costs. Don't try to be a lawyer.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
TRR
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Take a deep breath and chill out. I can not imagine any Municipal Court Judge allowing an officer to stack tickets. It just does not make since. The only thing you should be responsible for is the speeding ticket, and you can take defensive driving if you have not taking it in the past two years. Also you can not have been going over 20 mph over the limit.

TRR
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 PM
Klaus-96
2019 Z06 2LZ A8 Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The National Motorists Association shows this law firm for Houston:

Eutsler Law Firm

http://www.theticketattorney.com/

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP!!! Angry cop = I need traffic lawyer in Houston, TX

Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Get an attorney. It will be money well spent
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MThomas
Just remember.....there are always two sides of a story. Wish we could hear the other side!
have to agree with this. Not putting down the OP, but I drive in Houston traffic every day - and seeing a car (any car, any age driver) pop up on a congested freeway, go faster than everyone else, and change lanes several times in a short distance can look pretty aggressive. No doubt he caught the officer on a bad day and that resulted in numerous tickets.Have to wonder what the conversation between the officer and OP sounded like to the LEO --- sometimes respect/disrespect sounds very different on opposite ends of the conversation. Anyway, take it to court with a good lawyer (thankfully I have not needed one in Houston) and likely will get some help. The law says you must have a front plate - so just do it - thats about the only thing bad about living in Texas !!!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MThomas
Very true... and that will be precisely what the Traffic Judge hears to render his judgment.

I am glad you showed the LEO a proper attitude. But, though you may feel this way, you may want to reconsider your thoughts that he was out to "get you": I do not believe that being young with a Corvette makes you a victim. The LEO had to have probable cause to initiate the stop and something you did based on your driving called attention to yourself.

I certainly do wish you the best and highly doubt you will be accountable for all tickets. I hope and am confident the judge will waive some.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP!!! Angry cop = I need traffic lawyer in Houston, TX