C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
RileyC
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a C6

I wouldn't want to leave it stock for long and I figure I would do headers, cam, air intake and MAYBE spray. What power difference would I see between the ls2 and 3 with these mods? How much power will the stock clutch hold? If you could change one thing about your C6 what would it be?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

About 30hp since an LS3 gives you a 30 HP head start. Some people on here have twin turbos so I'm sure they will chime in.

I really don't have any complaints about my Vette.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 PM
stockticker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RileyC
I wouldn't want to leave it stock for long and I figure I would do headers, cam, air intake and MAYBE spray. What power difference would I see between the ls2 and 3 with these mods? How much power will the stock clutch hold? If you could change one thing about your C6 what would it be?

Thanks
i'd also plan on not having a problem free car for long after you add "spray"
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
RileyC
8th Gear

Originally Posted by stockticker
i'd also plan on not having a problem free car for long after you add "spray"
I would think that would depend on shot size and how well it's set up. Don't a HUGE amount of lsx users love the gas? I'm not thinking that I would want to go with a blower or snails.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Drive an ls3 first, then come back and see how much you want to mod it. I had aspirations to mod one as well when I got one, but as soon as I drove it, I thought, this thing doesnt need to be modified. Its insanely powerful as is. I added a CAI and tune, and have more than enough power to beat almost 99 percent of the stock cars on the street and probabley most the modified ones. 2011 GS
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
garytucker
Racer

I'll chime in here too about the difference between the LS3 and the LS2...Drive the LS3...you'll be suprised. Unless you are at a drag strip, are playing need for speed on the street (pretty f-in stupid), or just want to "brag"...you may find the LS3 has more than enough power for you.

I've all three iterations of the LS numbered engines...1,2, and 3...The 3 is absolutely amazing as a stock vehicle. I've lined up our LS1 '02 and the LS3 '09...the "little" hp difference sure convinced me the LS3 didn't need any help...plus its reliable as can be! I always had the feeling the LS1 car needed a little help...the LS3 sure doesn't feel that way.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
stic5
Pro

LS2 vs LS3 = 30hp. That number isn't going to change much as mods are added. Ask a LS3 owner and he will tell you it feels like 300hp, but the numbers don't lie. Do the math and ask yourself if it's worth it. Then make a logical decision.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
RileyC
8th Gear

Well I have a 04 Cobra with an upper pulley already. I'm thinking the LS3 cars with intake and tune would run similar but if I keep the Cobra I'll be going Whipple in the future so if I switch over I would want something comparable to that. It would be a weekend car so I would run DRs all the time. Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If I were looking for a C6. I would go with a 2009 or later, to get the much stronger LS3 block, and with the factory NPP exhaust. Then the only MOD I would do is the Edelbrock 554HP supercharger kit(not the 599 Hp as it requires a fuel pump change and has a higher boost).

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-03-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 PM
RileyC
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If I were looking for a C6. I would go with a 2009 or later, to get the much stronger LS3 block, and with the factory NPP exhaust. Then the only MOD I would do is the Edelbrock 554HP supercharger kit(not the 599 Hp as it requires a fuel pump change and has a higher boost).
Wouldn't a cam, intake, full exhaust car with a 75 shot make the same power or better?

Are most of you guys against nitrous. I know a ton of people used it one ls1s. Do the newer motors not like it as much?

I do realize that refilling bottles is a hassle but with out spray I've seen ls3 cars make 480-490 which would be enough for me 90% of the time.

Last edited by RileyC; 08-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Wouldn't a cam, intake, full exhaust car with a 75 shot make the same power or better?

Are most of you guys against nitrous. I know a ton of people used it one ls1s. Do the newer motors not like it as much?

I do realize that refilling bottles is a hassle but with out spray I've seen ls3 cars make 480-490 which would be enough for me 90% of the time.
Sure, a cam, spray, etc will make the power, but the 554HP Supercharger means you don't have to open up the engine, it idles like stock, factory exhaust manifolds do a better job of keeping the underhood heat down vs aftermarket headers, and the factory NPP exhaust lets you be loud when you want to but quite when you want to by adding the M2W controller.

The Edelbrock supercharger was designed by people who have been designing intake manifols for decades and they know what they're doing. The rotors are designed and built by Eaton, the same manufacturer who builds the blower for the ZR1. The Edelbrock kit is complete. It comes with everything needed in one box. The supercharger, heat exchanger,air filter/intake, even the tune. You get 50 horses more then a Z06 in a fully engineered package.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM
RileyC
8th Gear

Do those kits see problems with heatsoaking? Eaton has a reputation for that. How much power will the stock clutch hold?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Do those kits see problems with heatsoaking? Eaton has a reputation for that. How much power will the stock clutch hold?
Don't know if there is a big problem with heatsoaking. My stock Z06 with a vette-Air and diffuser pulls a lot of timing when the IAT goes up, so I would expect it would with the S/C or with a cam/headers/etc.

A friend has a GS LS3 making 603 RWHP and his clutch is holding up, but he dosen't abuse it. Same with another friend who has a S/C Callaway. I never go WOT on my Z without the clutch being fully engaged.

If you plan on abusing the clutch, I undersatand the ZR1 clutch conversion is pretty stout. It really depends on how you plan to drive your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a C6

Quick Reply: Considering a C6