C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport vs. Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grand Sport vs. Coupe

NOT to start a war or GS hate thread but here are my THOUGHTS (opinion) on the GS vs. standard coupe:

1 - The standard C6 coupe front fenders are better looking than the GS. I really do NOT like the chrome GS fender emblem (that can be fixed) but I still have a hard time with the gills. I keep thinking of sharks when I see the fenders.

2 - I like the rear quarters on the GS. The air duct and wider quarters are a nice touch.

3 - The front air intake on the GS is nice but subtle.

4 - The GS has better looking brakes BUT from what I read, the stopping power of a GS vs. Z51 coupe are identical, with only a slight difference in fade. The GS has better fade resistance during hard breaking.

5 -
Cornering/Handling - From what I read the standard coupe Z51 (with good tires) and the GS both achieve identical #'s in the slalom, even though the GS has wider tires.

6 -
The GS is heavier than a standard coupe, it also gets less MPG (2-4 mpg has been reported) over the coupe. This is due to its weight & more rolling resistance.

7 - Speed: Both the GS and Coupe get identical 1/4 miles times. Some claim the GS was .10 or .20 slower than the coupe. Edmunds back-to-back runs did show that but it could have been driver related.

OVERALL, the GS has a better looking rear BUT the standard C6 coupe has cleaner lines. The standard coupe is cleaner looking than the GS. I believe the fender gills really kill the aesthetics of the car. The Z06 is MUCH better in the fender design/aesthetics.

My view is that GM went with an "aesthetic package" with the GS. They wanted to attract more buyers with the GS looks. Does the GS perform better than the Z51 Coupe? The answer is NO. They are identical with each one having only minor differences in some areas.

I love the GS as well as the coupe.
Just my thoughts...

Last edited by LBear; 08-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
I love the GS as well as the coupe. [/B]Just my thoughts...
I'm glad you love your GS. It would be a pity if you didn't after spending your hard earned cash.

Tom
Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Driving my 2010 GS MZ6 is like driving a completely different car when compared to the 2007 A6 base coupe I used to drive
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

It would be nice if you knew the difference between BREAKS and BRAKES.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I like my coupe,,,,,tires last longer and are cheaper,fuel mileage is better,,,,
Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LBear
Does the GS perform better than the Z51 Coupe? The answer is NO.
Thats because you haven't driven the 2011 GS with the F55 option.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Radioman
Driving my 2010 GS MZ6 is like driving a completely different car when compared to the 2007 A6 base coupe I used to drive
I think there are too many variables for you to form an accurate opinion of GS over Z51.

LS2 vs LS3
Auto vs Manual
Base suspension vs GS suspension

Glad you like it though. It's an awesome car.

I think the GS is just a progression of the Z51 with some added, and much needed, aesthetic flare. I would imagine performance-wise they are too close for you to tell a difference so it basically comes down to price and personal opinion on looks. If I were buying new, I'd go for the GS and do something about those awful chrome emblems. JMO
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

I like the coupe better and thats why we bought one instead of the GS or Z06, not a fan of the wider body. We looked at all three side by side in Oct of 09 and the coupe won out not to mention we saved some dollars.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default GS vs Coupe

The brake pedal and throttle pedal position relationship is better on the coupe which makes it easier for heel/toe manual transmission shifting during down shifts. How do I know? Three day Corvette drive course at Spring Mountain.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself. Can't afford a GS?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton
The brake pedal and throttle pedal position relationship is better on the coupe which makes it easier for heel/toe manual transmission shifting during down shifts. How do I know? Three day Corvette drive course at Spring Mountain.
Really. I had no idea there was any difference! The console is wider in my GS than on a regular coupe too. There's also more seat travel in a coupe -- I measured it.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

I do not think Lbear said anything about his actually owning a GS, he is just comparing a GS with a C6 coupe. He also does not state where or how he gathered his info for such conclusions! Just his personal opinions based upon..?????!!!! Nothing wrong with opinions, just so he is clear about it. I recall not too long ago this same poster was asking a ton of newbee type questions.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
stockticker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyV
that's probably what it is...i do it all the time with my 09 coupe...he wont have long before the 10 GS start piling up at used car dealers for low 40k's
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
Really. I had no idea there was any difference! The console is wider in my GS than on a regular coupe too. There's also more seat travel in a coupe -- I measured it.
That's interesting. I thought they were the same console and seat positions.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

OK. lets start from the top..

Your first 3 points are subjective to each person..So that means nothing. I like the look of the GS far more than the standard coupe but that doesn't mean the coupe isn't great looking.

Brakes---The GS has zo6 brakes so they are better...

The GS vs the coupe with better tires....Do the same to the GS and the coupe comes in 2nd. So your point has no weight.

The GS vs the coupe in a straight line...That’s all in the driver. I guarantee if you give the GS to a great driver it will beat a crappy driver in the coupe and vis versa... It is almost impossible to have equal drivers in a race...I have only raced a few guys that could actually drive their car to potential.

Besides don't we buy a car partly for the looks anyway? If that wasn't the case we would all be driving a geo metro with a viper motor in it. Looks like crap but is fast as hell.

This war between models is retarded. Say you like your coupe better than the GT500, then we can all agree with you.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
Say you like your coupe better than the GT500, then we can all agree with you.
No, you've missed the point. He already stated that it was his opinion. So he's not asking you to agree with him.
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

The basic design of the C6 is fantastic and I never get tired of admiring the clean lines of my coupe. I also like the WB look and have seriously toyed with doing the conversation but decided to go for more power. If I bought a new one (I'm not) I'd go for a Z06 because it has so much power and beauty rolled into one package. To me the GS is pretty much equal to the Z (minus those badges)... it's a great looking car. I really like it in Cyber Gray and Black..... just looks good!

Chevy designers did themselves proud with the C6 in all the various models...

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport vs. Coupe

LBear
Melting Slicks

I can always "afford" it but the question is what are you getting for all the extra $$$?? As I mentioned, I do like some aspects of the GS but it also carries with it some negatives (ugly fenders, more weight, less MPG, higher price tag). While I am not a top speed type of guy, GM rated the GS almost 10mph SLOWER than the standard coupe.

GM did a little scamming when it came out with the 2010 GS.
They dropped the Z51 option from the Coupe and only offered it in the GS. Yet, instead of the $1,500 or so option that it once was, they jacked the price on the car another $5,000+. That's GM for you.

Originally Posted by KX
I do not think Lbear said anything about his actually owning a GS, he is just comparing a GS with a C6 coupe. He also does not state where or how he gathered his info for such conclusions! Just his personal opinions based upon..?????!!!! Nothing wrong with opinions, just so he is clear about it. I recall not too long ago this same poster was asking a ton of newbee type questions.
I gathered my info and conclusions from what I read, reports, data, tests, and car reviews. And as I stated, it is my opinion. Everyone has an opinion, I simply stated mine.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, you've missed the point. He already stated that it was his opinion. So he's not asking you to agree with him.
Yep! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Stir often?

Last edited by Vette_DD; 06-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport vs. Coupe