C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight lens cover replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That is disappointing, because sooner or later all the lenses wil need to be replaced.
Originally Posted by RLSebring
I for some reason don't mind that so bad...

Just so long as you stay healthy and keep doing it...
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to replace the lens themselves, cause it is definitely doable. But I also don't want to mislead anyone and make them think it is a piece of cake either.

Just getting the headlight in and out of the car is a big part of the task. I won't reveal all of the secrets of the process, but basically you have to cook your headlight in the oven to remove the old lens, and then get all the old glue out and then glue in the new one. The process of replacing the lens itself probably took me about 4 hours once I had the light out of the car. I did save about $200 by doing it myself, though I'm not sure if I did as good a job as if I had sent it to RL Sebring and let him do it for me. It's a bit of a learning process, and I suspect he has done enough of them that he has perfected the technique.

I also found it that it's really easy to break off various plastic tabs on the housing, and some of the hardware is put together with locktite and hard to remove. I had to heat the three small nuts on the back to get them off the screws, and that alone took me almost an hour.
Secret cooking recipes?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:16 AM
KiwiC6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight removal

Can anyone point me to some detailed instructions on what I need to do to remove the headlights?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
0Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Former Vendor

Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiwiC6
Can anyone point me to some detailed instructions on what I need to do to remove the headlights?
Call me, I will be glad to help you, we are a business and supporting vender...If we sell you something or do something for you as a service and its not right, we are liable!!!.. if an individual does it for you and somethng goes wrong you are screwed...
Old 09-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Maxbrotha
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who sell these cover nowdays??
Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Member here RLSebring often sells them, but I think he and most others are out right now. Hoping that changes.

Try contacting him or Ecklers.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:57 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

No lenses are available at this time, I don't think. Hopefully they'll be on the market again. It's ludicrous what the whole assembly goes for, especially considering the high failure rate and safety issues. Any other vehicle is a fraction of that cost. Somebody really needs to get their s@&t together on these things. Since GM is making this hard on C6 owners, maybe some after market company can manufacture the lenses and get them out to those of us that need them.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If it were me and the lens got faded or small cracks....id probably at that point put tint on the lens...a light tint...looks awesome..then I'd shop junk yards for a replacement or go for two black ones...might as well get an upgrade while spending the coin.

I never liked the look of the c6 headlights....even when new.

Just a bad style bucket and bulbs in my opinion. Still I like the overall look....

Just not the headlights and bulb look. Too bad a blackout tint cracks the lenses ...it looks better when they are blacked out..

Last edited by JerriVette; 09-29-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM
mrk1957
Racer

Unfortunately mine are beyond tinting. I am curious to know how the black buckets look. That gives me more choices other than Victory Red.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mrk1957
No lenses are available at this time, I don't think. Hopefully they'll be on the market again. It's ludicrous what the whole assembly goes for, especially considering the high failure rate and safety issues. Any other vehicle is a fraction of that cost. Somebody really needs to get their s@&t together on these things. Since GM is making this hard on C6 owners, maybe some after market company can manufacture the lenses and get them out to those of us that need them.
A friend just had one replaced (minor crash) on his tin car, list price was $1,200 just like a C6.

I recall some news stories from a few years ago about how a modern headlight assembly with HID typically costs about $1,000 per side, so the C6 is in the ballpark.

The big problem is the inability or difficulty to easily replace a lens instead of replacing the whole unit. Are other cars better or worse in that respect? I can't imagine there aren't a lot of people supplying lenses for high volume cars like Accords and Camrys, but the economics might not work for low volume cars like the C6.

EDIT:
We had the complete assemblies replaced on our 2009 about a month ago, total parts cost $1,950. I did that only because the car was taken apart and then a set of lenses I thought would be available, weren't. It was either buy the complete assemblies now or take an indefinite wait until lenses became available.
The new assemblies come complete with new bulbs, ballasts, etc; so I have presumably dodged the hassle and significant expense of replacing them later. The math shows that if you are going to keep the car a long time, the new assembly isn't as bad a deal as it first appears.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 09-29-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM
mrk1957
Racer

It's a hard pill to swallow and I may end up buying complete assembly's. I'd rather put that money somewhere else. It's a shame to spend that just because the lenses are bad. You'd think someone would engineer something better or use a plastic that'd last longer.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, but is there anything I can do to possibly delay or prevent the headlight lens from fading and/or turning yellow? I am planning on getting mine detailed in the next month. Should I make sure he does not buff the headlights so the coating isn't removed? Mine look great right now, but coming outside to yellow/faded headlights it is probably my biggest worry. I see SO many cars with this problem down here in Florida.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Mine aren't faded or yellow. They've got small hairline cracks throughout. I'm not sure what causes that or how to prevent it. I tried to restore them with sanding polishing, but no luck. Seems the cracking is to deep.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

The small cracks are called "crazing". Occasionally, someone says he polished or sanded them out, but usually they are like mrk1957 said- they are "in" the plastic instead of "on" the plastic, and thus too deep to remove. The same thing can happen to the transparent top.

Sometimes it just happens, and no one can explain why, but here are some of the reasons put forth:
1. Heat buildup inside the headlights, perhaps caused by having a rag or bra on the headlights while they are on. Clear film protectors are sometimes blamed, but not proven.
2. Chemical exposure, especially to ordinary glass cleaners. Use only cleaners recommended for plastic, GM Glass Cleaner (white foamy stuff in a spray can) is good.
3. Pressure or impacts, though that would normally only effect one area of the lens.
4. UV from sunlight, though that more often causes clouding or yellowing.

Since the "abuse' that caused the crazing may have occurred months or years before the problem showed up and may have been done by a shop or previous owner, it becomes especially hard to figure out.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend just had one replaced (minor crash) on his tin car, list price was $1,200 just like a C6.

I recall some news stories from a few years ago about how a modern headlight assembly with HID typically costs about $1,000 per side, so the C6 is in the ballpark.
I agree, not out of line at all.

Though it'd be nice if there was a HID high-beam option, by this stage of the game.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Possible

The small cracks are called "crazing". Occasionally, someone says he polished or sanded them out, but usually they are like mrk1957 said- they are "in" the plastic instead of "on" the plastic, and thus too deep to remove. The same thing can happen to the transparent top.

Sometimes it just happens, and no one can explain why, but here are some of the reasons put forth:
1. Heat buildup inside the headlights, perhaps caused by having a rag or bra on the headlights while they are on. Clear film protectors are sometimes blamed, but not proven.
2. Chemical exposure, especially to ordinary glass cleaners. Use only cleaners recommended for plastic, GM Glass Cleaner (white foamy stuff in a spray can) is good.
3. Pressure or impacts, though that would normally only effect one area of the lens.
4. UV from sunlight, though that more often causes clouding or yellowing.

Since the "abuse' that caused the crazing may have occurred months or years before the problem showed up and may have been done by a shop or previous owner, it becomes especially hard to figure out.
I have a theory on some of the problem, you are right about the heat build up
Some of that heat is coming from that running light inside on all the time. It can be turned off which is I do now, after replacing my lens the first time

Last edited by Harleyryder02; 05-10-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Default looking

I am looking for someone to glue in my lens.
I was able to find a set of lights and was able to get the old lenses off,
I hear there is a special glue needed and the rubber gaskets ( I don't have these)
I'd rather have someone that knows what they are doing glue them all back together
Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Harleyryder02
I am looking for someone to glue in my lens.
I was able to find a set of lights and was able to get the old lenses off,
I hear there is a special glue needed and the rubber gaskets ( I don't have these)
I'd rather have someone that knows what they are doing glue them all back together
contact RLSebring..............forum vendor here and located in Florida...........search for his recent topics on new lenses for additional contact info.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Harleyryder02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkj427
contact RLSebring..............forum vendor here and located in Florida...........search for his recent topics on new lenses for additional contact info.
Thank you. For the info

Quick Reply: Headlight lens cover replacement?