C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Clutch Noise with A/C ON? help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 AM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Weird Clutch Noise with A/C ON? help?

I tried searching but couldnt find anything. When I turn the A/C on, i get this weird noise (a "vwheeeeh") and sensation through the clutch when I go to shift. It also happens when I slow down in gear. I have no idea what it could be. When I shut the A/C off, everything is fine. Any ideas?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 AM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing recently. I was thinking it's the throw-out bearing going bad, which is strange since I had a new slave cylinder put in about 5 months ago with the new clutch.

It happens randomly so I can't really duplicate it to show anyone, but I did notice it seems to happen more when A/C is on.

I just can't imagine how the whine noise/scraping sensation in the clutch be related to the A/C...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.stephan
I tried searching but couldnt find anything. When I turn the A/C on, i get this weird noise (a "vwheeeeh") and sensation through the clutch when I go to shift. It also happens when I slow down in gear. I have no idea what it could be. When I shut the A/C off, everything is fine. Any ideas?
I have the exact same thing on my 2006 Z06, no clue what could cause this. Slightly annoying but not too big of a deal. As with your noise/clutch engagment, as soon as AC is shut off everything is back to normal.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Me too

My 2007 does it. With the A/C on it hums/vibrates as the rpms come down during clutch engagement. Turn the A/C off and it completely goes away. It is either the compressor or one of the idler pulleys, but I haven't yet sorted out what it is. Mine has been doing it since about 30k miles. I have 48k on it now.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
BrettsVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch whine and odd pedal feel in hot weather with A/C

Originally Posted by dr.stephan
I get the EXACT same thing! I thought I was the only one. It sometimes happens without the A/C on but in hot weather almost always. Oil and water temp are ok. I was going to take it to the dealer but thought I'd check here first. I sure would like to know what's causing this.

-2006 Manual Coupe
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inspect the ac pressure hoses / lines to see if one may be grounding out on the clutch hydraulic line, slave cylinder, or clutch [bell] housing.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Me too. Ac still works. Only makes the sound with the ac on so I don't think it's the drive train. Just use it till I'm no longer cool.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

I've read some posts on here an it all points to the AC compressor going bad. When changed out the noise goes away. My does te same on my 08 Z. AC off an it's fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
GreySteele06
Racer

Hmm any reason to change it before it actually fails? Still just think I'll roll with it until it doesn't work. Dem is expensive.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

No reason to change it unless ur coming up on ur warranty. When I get around to it I'll have that changed along with the o-ring in the dry sump system being torn an which causes a rattle at RPMs
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is also doing it... Go start the car, turn the a/c on, wait for the car to warm up, rev it to about 2500-3000, and let it fall. My car does it every time! I live in Orlando, and it's the hottest time of the year by the way!

There is a guy who made a video and put it on here. I don't know about you guys, but mine sounds identical!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...hts-video.html

It is also referred to here as well…

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...o-bearing.html

My car is an 05, and has 53,000 miles on it, so the warranty is long gone. I put a can of PAG 150 in there today, so I’ll update and let you know if that does any good…
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Add my 06 to the list. No big deal my AC is rarely on but when it is I hear the same. It's a common issue.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I hear a noise like that when I let the clutch out after shifting. Hard to hear it over the tire, exhaust and A/C blower noise but it definitely does it about half the time I make the 1 to 2 shift.

Bill
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by calemasters
Inspect the ac pressure hoses / lines to see if one may be grounding out on the clutch hydraulic line, slave cylinder, or clutch [bell] housing.
Probably not. They are on opposite sides of the drivetrain.

Bill
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey guys, if your car is making this sound, can you go to this thread and post a reply? I am going to try and convince chevrolet that this is an issue that several people are experiencing, and that it is something they should maybe consider putting on a recall list or something...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ine-video.html
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybravothepimp
hey guys, if your car is making this sound, can you go to this thread and post a reply? I am going to try and convince chevrolet that this is an issue that several people are experiencing, and that it is something they should maybe consider putting on a recall list or something...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ine-video.html
Mine is doing it also, and I'm in Orlando as well!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I hear a noise like that when I let the clutch out after shifting. Hard to hear it over the tire, exhaust and A/C blower noise but it definitely does it about half the time I make the 1 to 2 shift.

Bill
How long have you been experiencing this? Has your dealership had any input on what’s going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
How long have you been experiencing this? Has your dealership had any input on what’s going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Haven't mentioned it to them even though it was just in for replacement of both rear axles and wheel bearings. Sort of one of those things that you forget about until you hear it the next time. Had it happen as I drove the car away from the dealership last Friday. Going there today with my Malibu so will mention it to the service writer.

The noise reminds of the old days when we had mechanical clutch linkages that went through the floor/firewall and had rubber seals around them. If the seals dried out you would get that noise and a couple of shots of lubricant would stop the noise.

Bill
Old 07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

OK, well feel free to PM me if you continue to have problems with the noise after speaking with the dealer.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To Weird Clutch Noise with A/C ON? help?

Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Noise with A/C ON? help?