C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some say the CTS-V is a luxury car not a sports car. I find this statement very interesting.

Disagree with me if you wish but the specs of various models of C6 and those of the CTS-V are clear.

1/ The CTS-V has superior brakes to the Z06 ( and GS which shares etc )
2/ The CTS-V has a state of the art SC engine producing more hp than even the Z06.

Yes, this engine is "detuned" from the ZR1 engine. However, it is arguable that the engine in the CTS-V is superior in technology and certainly power to the LS7 in the Z06. The GS/base car engine is powerful but not even close to either.

Now, about the CTS-V being a luxury car and not a sports car....OK...but, calling it that does not change the fact that it's brakes and engine are superior to the Z06 ( and the GS ain't no Z06 ).

What might make a person consider the CTS-V a luxury car could be far better leather, better seats, better fit and finish, and a finer interior? I guess so maybe.

And yes, the CTS-V is heavier by a lot. Yes.

Which car wins on the quarter mile CTV-V or GS? My bet is that it's too close to call. Which car wins on a roadcourse? My bet is that it depends on the driver....and it will be close.

In my opinion, the CTS-V delivers much more quality and technology for nearly the same money as you can buy a Z06 for today. It's far ahead of the GS.

But...it's not a Corvette. It doesn't have that look ( in fact it might be one of the greatest "sleepers" of all time ).

You wanna go fast....have an automatic....nice cushy seats.....but still tear the doors off most every car every built in terms of speed and handling? Uh, no brainer, unless, of course, you have to have a vette for the image. The CTS-V is a better car.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Trout-44
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '14

Originally Posted by cclive
Great 4-door sedan or great 2-seat sports car?
I am fortunate to have both.. A CTS-V as a daily driver and a 2009 C6 for the week end, track etc.

If you have to haul people the choice is obvious. The V is awesome. It is just not a sports car. My own belief is that on the track it would give my corvette a run for its money.

But..I will not trade my Corvette..

When it comes time to trade the V if there is not one being made at that time I will get a 5 Series BMW.

When it come time to trade the Corvette, I will get another Corvette..

Just my thinking.....
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Some say the CTS-V is a luxury car not a sports car. I find this statement very interesting.

Disagree with me if you wish but the specs of various models of C6 and those of the CTS-V are clear.

1/ The CTS-V has superior brakes to the Z06 ( and GS which shares etc )
2/ The CTS-V has a state of the art SC engine producing more hp than even the Z06.

Yes, this engine is "detuned" from the ZR1 engine. However, it is arguable that the engine in the CTS-V is superior in technology and certainly power to the LS7 in the Z06. The GS/base car engine is powerful but not even close to either.

Now, about the CTS-V being a luxury car and not a sports car....OK...but, calling it that does not change the fact that it's brakes and engine are superior to the Z06 ( and the GS ain't no Z06 ).

What might make a person consider the CTS-V a luxury car could be far better leather, better seats, better fit and finish, and a finer interior? I guess so maybe.

And yes, the CTS-V is heavier by a lot. Yes.

Which car wins on the quarter mile CTV-V or GS? My bet is that it's too close to call. Which car wins on a roadcourse? My bet is that it depends on the driver....and it will be close.

In my opinion, the CTS-V delivers much more quality and technology for nearly the same money as you can buy a Z06 for today. It's far ahead of the GS.

But...it's not a Corvette. It doesn't have that look ( in fact it might be one of the greatest "sleepers" of all time ).

You wanna go fast....have an automatic....nice cushy seats.....but still tear the doors off most every car every built in terms of speed and handling? Uh, no brainer, unless, of course, you have to have a vette for the image. The CTS-V is a better car.
alot heavier indeed 4,222 pounds
http://www.cadillac.com/cts-v/features-specs/

so yea it better have bigger brakes than a Z06 , which weighs about 3200 pounds (give or take depending on the year) or a GS

that's about 1000 pounds heavier than a Z06 or GS, the Z06 HP is rated at 505 vs the CTSV at 556... your gonna need more than 50flywheel HP to make up for those extra 1,000lbs

I am not knockin the CTS-V, its a cool car, but it's still a Caddy, I don't care if you upgrade the blower to ZR1 power. They are two different cars. Just because it has big power does not mean it is going to perform like a vette.

http://www.chevrolet.com/2010corvett...eatures-specs/

I'd love to see it beat a GS or Z06 on a roadcourse.

Last edited by FrankTank; 08-13-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Both are great cars.....

The one on the left looks like the box that the one on the right was shipped in.

Sorry
Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Arrange a test drive of a CTS-V with the Recaro seats than report back. They are the best seats ever put into an American car, you will never have to apologize saying things about "bang for the buck" etc.

And 550 pounds of torque will leave you breathless.

Tom
Old 08-13-2010, 05:21 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
The one on the left looks like the box that the one on the right was shipped in.

Sorry
Don't buy one then
Old 08-13-2010, 05:28 PM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattLangley
...so we will have a 4 seat car and will get the vette or cadi as a second car (that we'll probably drive daily though).
There's your answer. Get the Vette. Don't need the Caddy over the Vette unless you need a 4 seater.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Don't buy one then
Hadn't planned to. Everything I've read about the CTS-V has been favorable. Kudos to GM for making a decent push into the BMW market. They have done well, by all accounts.

I just can't get past the origami styling of the CTS. A matter of personal taste, for sure, but not mine.

Of course I'm not thinking of another BMW either. I've had one. That was enough.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough decision, they're both nice. Flip a coin.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Hadn't planned to. Everything I've read about the CTS-V has been favorable. Kudos to GM for making a decent push into the BMW market. They have done well, by all accounts.

I just can't get past the origami styling of the CTS. A matter of personal taste, for sure, but not mine.

Of course I'm not thinking of another BMW either. I've had one. That was enough.
e39s were nice - later models, not so much.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I love the "science and technology" look of Cadillacs so much! I have had 4 SRX's for my wife to drive in the winter time, I have an Escalade EXT(which is the best looking SUV on the market bar none. (imho) and I want a CTS-V Coupe, but I have too many vehicles now, so I wait.........
having said that, just cause a CTS-V can smoke a base Vette, I still don't think these cars are in direct competition, two different audiences, now the audience could own one of each, but not one or the other, they are just too opposite.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank

My thought on this..yea the CTS-V is fast as hell and a cool car., but it's still a Caddy, I'll admit I stereo type Caddy's cuz I see so many elderly people driving them...yea I know not the CTS-v, but a caddy is a caddy.

IMO this is a no brainer. The GS looks bad azz and way cool If I had the money, I'd buy my parents (boomers but not elderly of course) a CTS-V, and my sister and brother a GS. Sorry you asked for an opinion so I gave one
When I'm out driving my 09 Z06, I normally see younger kids driving the Caddy's. BTW, I'm 68 and even though I don't track my Z, I have hit 149 on the Talladega Super Speedway(shooting for 160 next July). I also drive a supercharged Mercedes 4-door sedan as a DD. Don't knock us old farts too much, we might bite back.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS of course!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyC6
Saw my first E550 Coupe yesterday. But I don't think they offer the coupe in AWD.
Wouldn't mind an 2010+ E sedan 4matic myself.
I'm not too crazy about the looks of the E550 Coupe to be honest, same with the V Coupe. They both look like a sedan modified to be a coupe.

Those MB E sedans are nice with all kinds of nice options. Night vision is real sweet. I would buy that over a V any day. No doubt it is a luxury sedan. I would LOVE to pick up a MB from Stuggart some day.

Can't really compare the C6 to the V, both different markets. V will need "better" brakes and more power just to keep up. V vs Z06, I would take the Z06. V vs the GS is closer, depends on the road and of course the driver. The Caddy badge adds money to the price of the V real quick.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I The Caddy badge adds money to the price of the V real quick.
..and Vice Versa.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When I'm out driving my 09 Z06, I normally see younger kids driving the Caddy's. BTW, I'm 68 and even though I don't track my Z, I have hit 149 on the Talladega Super Speedway(shooting for 160 next July). I also drive a supercharged Mercedes 4-door sedan as a DD. Don't knock us old farts too much, we might bite back.
It's all good, I know there are plenty of you out there also that enjoy cars and life to the fullest... I just have not been able to kick the image out of my head that every time I pass a caddy I see a lady or man hunched over the wheel doin 35 in a 50 and they are not 68, prolly more like 75 or 80

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C5C6Norm
Tough decision, they're both nice. Flip a coin.
that is a tough call.

The V is more luxurious, better seats, and will still perform on Amy tack surface you put it on.

The grand sport is a Vette.

They both bring a lot to the table, and you can't go wrong with either.

I have a CTS, and my next sedan will be a CTS. Only question is whether or not it will be a V.

Only reason my current CTS is not a V is because of the snow and it being all wheel drive. Mine is all wheel drive. CTS4 3.6 direct injection.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by FrankTank
It's all good, I know there are plenty of you out there also that enjoy cars and life to the fullest... I just have not been able to kick the image out of my head that every time I pass a caddy I see a lady or man hunched over the wheel doin 35 in a 50 and they are not 68, prolly more like 75 or 80

I will show you 35 in a 50...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6

How do you get out of bed in the morning, you are such a negative person, never anything positive to say about any subject.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLangley
So my wife and I are saving to buy a new car in about 1-2 years. We are going to pay off our mustang (2006 very base model with pretty low mileage) in about year so we will have a 4 seat car and will get the vette or cadi as a second car (that we'll probably drive daily though).

So in looking ahead we've been debating between a Corvette Grand Sport (we want a car with automatic) or a Cadillac CTS-V. The cadillac would be more convenient, we'd go for the four door sedan, though in keeping our mustang we don't necessarily need another 4 seat car. We really enjoy both of them for different reasons and are really torn, was wondering if anyone here is driven both and can share what the driving differences are.

Right now we're leaning towards the vette since we'd rather have something more sporty and more fun to drive (we don't have any kids right now either so our mustang will last us for a long while for practicality). Also the vette has better mileage and we want to take whatever new powerful car we get on road trips, etc.

Any thoughts, perceptions, or comments are greatly appreciated

When you state "we're leaning towards the Vette" it's like taking a test. Don't change your answer or you'll get it wrong.

Use the Vettes for trips and vacations. Use the 4 door for WallyWorld and such. I think you will really enjoy the GS to the max. If it's not your cup of tea, trade it in a few yrs and get that Caddie. But I think you'll end up trading the stang before the GS.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 08-13-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: too many buts

Quick Reply: Corvette Grand Sport or CTS-V