C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rear-ended and not happy with paint, anyone whos had car repainted please come in

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got rear-ended and not happy with paint, anyone whos had car repainted please come in

So a week into being in Arizona and I get rear ended. Farmers insurance (guy who hit me insurance) has been good they got me rental and I brought to Chevy to have repainted. I get it back today and the new bumper is bright white and the rest of the car now looks off white. I told the guy that I am not very happy and he said yeah I can kinda see how its off. Well there going to repaint it and try and match it better but he doesnt want to blend it. My question is what options do I have if after this it still doesnt match. My car looked fine, now Im getting screwed because some idiot didnt stop.

Mine is an 05 Artic White for the record.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I just got mine back from the body shop for the second time after my rearend this May, but my car is black so it wasn't a paint match issue; just a couple of bad spots that needed redone.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
SunnyVette21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI Veteran

When I had my new RK2 sport hood put on I used an independant shop that my dealer uses but I checked out their work first. I also talked to the gentleman who was going to do the work. When I got mine back it was perfect. Color wise and overall job wise.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

What part of Ariz are you in? Maybe local members know a good paint matching body guy.

It would be really nice if they didn't blend. Paint matching is an art. If your guy doesn't have the right stuff maybe he would be open to seeking help from someone else, recommended by local members, just for purposes of developing the right matching paint recipe. Just thinking out loud. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lilitaly11
So a week into being in Arizona and I get rear ended. Farmers insurance (guy who hit me insurance) has been good they got me rental and I brought to Chevy to have repainted. I get it back today and the new bumper is bright white and the rest of the car now looks off white. I told the guy that I am not very happy and he said yeah I can kinda see how its off. Well there going to repaint it and try and match it better but he doesnt want to blend it. My question is what options do I have if after this it still doesnt match. My car looked fine, now Im getting screwed because some idiot didnt stop.

My C5 was white and I had a run in with a deer that resulted in my needing paint work. I had the front bumper cover repainted, and the hood blended.

White is very hard to match. After a few repaints they got it close. One thing I will say is do not have anything blended. I know that is the common practice in paint shops, but I was very unhappy with how the hood came out on my C5. I could tell it was blended.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

The guy said he did not want to blend, hopefully when they reshoot its matches better. Its just annoying that it will never look like it did because some jerk wasnt paying attention. Now I have to take more time to go back and get another rental and blah blah blah.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Originally Posted by RicK T
What part of Ariz are you in? Maybe local members know a good paint matching body guy.

It would be really nice if they didn't blend. Paint matching is an art. If your guy doesn't have the right stuff maybe he would be open to seeking help from someone else, recommended by local members, just for purposes of developing the right matching paint recipe. Just thinking out loud. Good luck.
I did reach out to local members and got a recommendation but this Chevy dealer was just a bit easier to do because the insurance had a pact with them and so it was easier and quicker. Sucks being new to an area but hopefully they will fix the situation.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

lilitaly11 - You're not gonna like this. My experience has been that once a car is hit, it can never be fixed back to original. IMO your best bet is to get it fixed as best you can, and then sell it or trade it in on a new one. I hope that in addition to the cost of repairs, you got a "diminished value" award from the other guys' insurance. On a brighter note, it gives more motivation to get that new grand sport you were thinking about.

Truly sorry for your predicament. Hope it works out OK for you.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
My experience has been that once a car is hit, it can never be fixed back to original.
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I have an 05 LMB and a deer ran out, & to avoid it I swerved to the right, and hit a rock (about the size of a bowling ball) it bent the front right rim, busted the right front fender, and gouged the right rocker panel...

The shop I took it to said don't worry you'll never know where it was hit was my first thought...

Well they fixed it, and "I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WAS PAINTED" and I cant tell... then I got a recall from GM on the roof, I asked the dealership if I could pick the body shop to paint the top & got an OK...

So as of now my car has new paint on the right front fender, right rocker & roof... & I'd bet the ranch you cant tell!! Its all in the body shop IMO

Yes the shop I took it to is known to be very high priced, and about 50% of their work is exotics, or high priced Mercedes (AMG) BMW.. there was a Ferrari in there just last week...

Yup they charge more but if you can get the ins Co. to pay, or if its out of your pocket and want the job done perfect I have the place in Westchester NY....

Last edited by jpee; 08-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I did reach out to local members and got a recommendation but this Chevy dealer was just a bit easier to do because the insurance had a pact with them and so it was easier and quicker. Sucks being new to an area but hopefully they will fix the situation.
They need to blend or have a pro paint match it. They're using an off the shelf color which will be different because your car's paint will have faded from the sun etc.

I just got my second vette painted at Classic Gold in Tempe. I bet your insurance would go through them and get it fixed right this time.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:34 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
lilitaly11 - You're not gonna like this. My experience has been that once a car is hit, it can never be fixed back to original. IMO your best bet is to get it fixed as best you can, and then sell it or trade it in on a new one. I hope that in addition to the cost of repairs, you got a "diminished value" award from the other guys' insurance. On a brighter note, it gives more motivation to get that new grand sport you were thinking about.

Truly sorry for your predicament. Hope it works out OK for you.
CARJO, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one (We're neighbors...I live in Branchburg). Years ago, my C5 was hit and I had it done by a long time friend and body shop owner. There was no way ANYONE could have detected that it had been hit.
The hit was on the front, the nose was relaced and the panels were replaced and painted OFF the car. Beautiful job. If you every need a referral, just let me know (I hope you don't!).

Lou
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

the rear bumper cover repaint is NOT a reason to sell the car. dealer body shops typically do not have the expensive system to match the paint. this is easy. give them one more chance to paint it (DO NOT LET THEM BLEND). if that does not work, find a shop that paints "high-line" vehicles and let them do it right.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

The ONLY way to do it correctly is to blend it. YOu can NOT panel paint a car and expect it to match.. It just won't happen. Benn there and tried that....
Old 08-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

My 08 Atomic Orange was backed into. I took it to the local Cadillac dealer and they replaced the front cover. They matched the paint perfectly. You absolutely cannot tell it didn't come from the factory!
I didn't realize white was so hard to match.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Originally Posted by Whisky
My 08 Atomic Orange was backed into. I took it to the local Cadillac dealer and they replaced the front cover. They matched the paint perfectly. You absolutely cannot tell it didn't come from the factory!
I didn't realize white was so hard to match.
Its night and day, makes me wish the whole car was sprayed its so bright white and crisp.

I will bring it back to them and if it looks like crap I will call Farmers and ask to go somewhere else.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Had mine painted at Classic Gold, Tempe.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Originally Posted by KarlK
Had mine painted at Classic Gold, Tempe.
Thats 3 votes for them, thats where I am going i guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Got rear-ended and not happy with paint, anyone whos had car repainted please come in

Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats 3 votes for them, thats where I am going i guess.
In Arizona the law says that you have the right to choose any shop you want. The insurance Company will try to steer you because the deal they have with that shop is a discounted price for sending the work.

My Mercedes E was hit in parking lots twice once in front right and once in the center of trunk and rear bumper within 6 months time. Both times I had the work done by a high end car and restoration shop here in Tucson and they blended both times and it was impossible to see where it was done. This was with Farmers and when I said that I wanted to use that shop both adjusters said no problem and told me that I had picked the best shop around.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Advanced Auto Body 7015 South Harl Ave in Tempe and have had excellent luck.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:24 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Also color on rubber bumpers sometime just will not match body panels.

Quick Reply: Got rear-ended and not happy with paint, anyone whos had car repainted please come in