C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel changing and tyre pressure monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Neuromancer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel changing and tyre pressure monitoring

Dear enlightened,

first post, so go easy on me

I have searched the forum, but not found a definite answer:-

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport tyres (non-run flats) and do not need the tyre pressure monitoring system.

I plan to change wheels and do not have a gadget to reset the TPMS and one of the TPMS sensors seems iffy - so thinking of not swapping over the TMPS sensors to the new wheels.

What would happen on the DIC?

Would it alarm constantly?
Would it just keep the settings in memory from the current wheels/tyres?
Would it not alarm but just state "xx psi" when I scroll through the gauges?

I'm in the UK so GM garages that know much about the C6 are thin on the ground.

Thanks all for any help

Last edited by Neuromancer; 09-03-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd keep a fully functional TMPS, especially when running non run flat's. All car's 08' up here in the state's have it. After about 20 minute's on a Vette with no sensor's, you'll usually get get DIC messages and wont be allowed to disengage traction control or active handling. I swap over to track tire's several time's a year with all beeing TMPS reset by a Bartec 300 tool. Only takes a few minute's. Can even check if the sensor's are funtional on my track wheels sitting in the basement with this tool. OTC make's a pretty nice TIPS 003A tool, that's commonly availible for under $100 buck's from on line tool store's here in the state's. A tool is needed even when I do a simple tire rotation on my Daily 08' Pontiac, so nice thing to have.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
I'd keep a fully functional TMPS, especially when running non run flat's. All car's 08' up here in the state's have it. After about 20 minute's on a Vette with no sensor's, you'll usually get get DIC messages and wont be allowed to disengage traction control or active handling. I swap over to track tire's several time's a year with all beeing TMPS reset by a Bartec 300 tool. Only takes a few minute's. Can even check if the sensor's are funtional on my track wheels sitting in the basement with this tool. OTC make's a pretty nice TIPS 003A tool, that's commonly availible for under $100 buck's from on line tool store's here in the state's. A tool is needed even when I do a simple tire rotation on my Daily 08' Pontiac, so nice thing to have.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Neuromancer
Dear enlightened,

first post, so go easy on me

I have searched the forum, but not found a definite answer:-

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport tyres (non-run flats) and do not need the tyre pressure monitoring system.

I plan to change wheels and do not have a gadget to reset the TPMS and one of the TPMS sensors seems iffy - so thinking of not swapping over the TMPS sensors to the new wheels.

What would happen on the DIC?

Would it alarm constantly?
Would it just keep the settings in memory from the current wheels/tyres?
Would it not alarm but just state "xx psi" when I scroll through the gauges?

I'm in the UK so GM garages that know much about the C6 are thin on the ground.

Thanks all for any help
Oh No!!!! Now Robin Hood from Nottingham has a C6!!!! I guess we'll have to put up with his weird spelling of tire/tyre, color/colour, gray/grey, etc.

Just kidding!!! Welcome to the Corvette Forum!!!

First of all, if you do swap your old sensors over to the new wheels, absolutely no reprogramming is required - at least if you keep the sensors on the same corner of the car they were originally on. Even if they get mixed up they'll still work, but if the sensor that was on the Left Front gets put on the Right Rear, when the DIC says "Left Front 23 psi" it will really be talking about the Right Rear pressure.

Without sensors you probably won't have any problems driving the car on the street. Initially you'll get "xx psi" but, as Vette5.5 said, after you drive a while you'll get a DIC alert message "Service Tire Monitor", which means the TPMS computer in the car isn't getting any transmissions from any of the 4 sensors, so it actually thinks the problem is with the TPMS rather than the sensors (it figures all 4 sensors shouldn't go bad at the same time!!).

You will be able to push the button on the console one time to disable TC (Traction Control), but further pushes of the button will not allow Comp mode to be enabled or AH (Active Handling) to be turned off completely.

If you run the car on the track with no sensors you may have problems with the power being reduced when you try to accelerate aggressively out of corners, but unless your street driving is very spirited you shouldn't have any problems.

With runflats, you really do need the tire pressure sensors. The stiff sidewall on runflats just doesn't give the handling feedback you get from a normal tire when it loses pressure - at least while going straight. However, even the runflat can't take cornering loads without pressure in the tire. So, if you lose pressure going down the motorway you'll never notice, but when you take the off-ramp and a sideload builds up you can easily lose control at speeds that would normally be safe.

You say you are going with a non-runflat, but I still think the TPMS is a great system to tell you of problems with your tire pressures before you otherwise might detect a slow leak.

Is you car a Euro Spec car - was it built for foreign delivery, or did you import it yourself???

If it is a Euro Spec C6 it uses a different sensor than the U.S./North American cars do. So.....if your car is Euro Spec and you get new sensors, you'll need GM Part# 25758221 (the last digit is different from our U.S. sensors, which is zero).

Again, welcome to the Forum, and if you have any other questions just give a holler!! We'll do our best to decipher your weird spelling of the English language!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Neuromancer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all good info - - you've convinced me!

It is a US spec car so that's useful info about the sensors.

Yes, I am actually Robin Hood, minus the tights though. TBH the car is a bit twitchy in the forest.

Now, about that English spelling....
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Neuromancer
all good info - - you've convinced me!

It is a US spec car so that's useful info about the sensors.

Yes, I am actually Robin Hood, minus the tights though. TBH the car is a bit twitchy in the forest.

Now, about that English spelling....
Glad to hear about the tights!!!

As far as the English language, I always liked this quote:

England and America are two countries separated by a common language.
--George Bernard Shaw
I see in your profile that you have a 2005.

How early was it built???

Look on the driver's door and it should have the month/year it was built, and if it's a VERY early build date (before about Sept 2004) then your car may have a different sensor than is currently used in the 2005-2009 C6. If you do have the very early sensors, they can be triggered by using a magnet with no need for a tool. You have the same TPMS computer in the car, so the U.S. sensors (Gm part# 25758220) will work in your U.S. spec car.

If you do get to see your sensors when tires are being changed, the old/early ones are square and black, and the current 25758220 sensors are gray and peanut-shaped and they require a tool to trigger them to get them to send their data to the TPMS computer during a relearn procedure.

BTW, just FYI for anybody reading this that has a 2010 or newer C6, they changed the TPMS computer in the car in 2010 and it requires a different tire pressure sensor in the tire. You don't need a tool to trigger the newer sensors - you can trigger them with a change in pressure.

The 2005-2009 tire pressure sensors won't work in a 2010+, and the 2010+ sensors won't work in the 2005-2009 C6.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-03-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added BTW

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel changing and tyre pressure monitoring

Quick Reply: Wheel changing and tyre pressure monitoring