C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?
I am FOR it
35.93%
I am AGAINST it
64.07%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

The Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't vote because in the big picture, the black box is about the least intrusive snoop in modern life. Data miners like Google, a live cell phone, and all of the electronic records of financial transactions pose a FAR greater risk.

And no offense to anyone, but putting personal info on websites like Facebook is just plain foolish.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -

Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I am against the black box, it doesn't tell the total story. Lets say you tried evasive actions to prevent an accident, including full throttle, increase in speed, reduced braking, etc and the accident occurred in spite of evasive actions taken, though the severity was reduced. The black box will record full throttle, speed increase and reduced braking, it will not show that these actions resulted in reduced damage or the saving of a life. Now fight this in court.

Same with stoplight cameras. I think I have accidentally ran one ligth in my life and none purposely. I also think something needs to be done to stop the red light runners. But a camera? Ever been behind a truck at a light, on green it begins its creep forward and you follow only to find it is an extremely short light and you are trapped when it goes yellow?

Black boxes without the rest of the story, 360°video, should not be considered enough. They should record at least the last minute before impact and have video. I might agree to that if the government paid for the equipment (everyone shares in the cost and pays double that way).
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoach
I don't drive like an idiot, so I don't really care all that much. The illusion of privacy for the private citizen was broken many, many years ago.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -

Benjamin Franklin
Probably came up with that while flying his kite in a storm.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
I too would have opted for "I Don't Care." Not an option, so I didn't vote.

Tom
Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
I voted for, if it puts some moron in jail for killing someone, that's a good thing. Having said that,this poll is for the paranoids and the paranoids will make the "againsts" win in this one.

AGAINST

He's a thought for you. Maybe some of us are able to think and act like adults. Do the right thing, pay our bills, work hard and do what is generally expected of us. Not needing to live in a society of clueless sheep where your government takes car of you.
Not paranoid in the slightest, just free to do as I wish and say.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Fast98
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will soon be taxed for every mile you drive.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by glrc6
AGAINST

He's a thought for you. Maybe some of us are able to think and act like adults. Do the right thing, pay our bills, work hard and do what is generally expected of us. Not needing to live in a society of clueless sheep where your government takes car of you.
Not paranoid in the slightest, just free to do as I wish and say.
OK, and this has what to do with the black box, besides nothing?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by cartop2

Same with stoplight cameras. I think I have accidentally ran one ligth in my life and none purposely. I also think something needs to be done to stop the red light runners. But a camera? Ever been behind a truck at a light, on green it begins its creep forward and you follow only to find it is an extremely short light and you are trapped when it goes yellow?

Black boxes without the rest of the story, 360°video, should not be considered enough. They should record at least the last minute before impact and have video. I might agree to that if the government paid for the equipment (everyone shares in the cost and pays double that way).
Nice try, you don't get a red light ticket if you have entered the intersection or have been stuck in the intersection on yellow.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
OK, and this has what to do with the black box, besides nothing?

Not awake yet??? Read again what I just said. It has to do with your statement. Do you take everthing said so personal when it's really nothing???

I guess we'll see with your reply.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast98
You will soon be taxed for every mile you drive.
You won't have to worry about that as we'll all be serving time in Obama death camps when he reveals he's the anti christ. It's only for 1000 years or so, though, then we get out and kick some ***.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Black box? Hell, I'm more worried about that Black helicopter that follows me everywhere. Looks like it's a Black guy flying it...WAIT A MINUTE...BARRACK HUSSEIN ADOLF HITLER KIM JONG GENGHAS KHAN OBAMA!!

You off your meds?
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by glrc6
Not awake yet??? Read again what I just said. It has to do with your statement. Do you take everthing said so personal when it's really nothing???

I guess we'll see with your reply.
Ok, I get it now, thanks, your a PARANOID and a WACK JOB
I jest.

Last edited by Racer; 10-02-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added the jest part as some people are too sensitive
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
You off your meds?
He must be, read some of his other insane replies. To top it off he is supposedly an airline pilot, wow, and how wacky is that. AirBusPilot take your Meds now.

Last edited by dvilin; 10-02-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
You off your meds?
I've been meaning to come see you Doc, I need a refill.

Originally Posted by dvilin
He must be, read some of his other insane replies. To top it off he is supposedly an airline pilot, wow, and how wacky is that. AirBusPilot take your Meds now.
I'm out! Help!!

Old 10-02-2010, 02:32 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I don't think it's paranoid to not wanting people to know everything you do. First of all, recording the last few seconds of information doesn't give a complete view of what was actually being done with the car. This type of distortion is what I'm against. Most often, then the courts or other people will take this "small snapshot" of information and use that as the complete image and thus you are "guilty" and having to defend yourself. I'm tired of having to defend myself just because I have a car that can do 190MPH+, doesn't mean I'm going to be going that fast.

Get notified of new replies

To The Black Box

Old 10-02-2010, 03:36 PM
SCoach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c1j1c2
I'm tired of having to defend myself just because I have a car that can do 190MPH+, doesn't mean I'm going to be going that fast.
And so the recording technology that can ABSOLUTELY refute that you were doing unlawful speeds and operating in a safe manner is at your disposal, and you rather put your fortune in a "my word against theirs"? If the black box records you doing 75mph on the highway and not 175mph, wouldn't you WANT that information to be present? I sure do.

If you are afraid the information recorded will not present your case well, then hire a good attorney. That is their job. Accident reconstruction is a pretty good science these days. Anything I can get in my favor, especially, objectively recorded data that supports my statements is something I view as a positive.

No, I don't necessarily want my every move recorded. But that is being done anyway. I live a public life, working for a public agency. I act in the abundance of caution and am usually traveling at below posted speeds. Especially in town. I absolutely LOVE cruising past LEOs going 3mph under the posted speed with cars passing me. I look like the ultra-responsible sports car owner that they need not worry about. It's taken me 25 years of driving to attain this status, and I intend to do everything in my power to keep it.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
You won't have to worry about that as we'll all be serving time in Obama death camps when he reveals he's the anti christ. It's only for 1000 years or so, though, then we get out and kick some ***.
Yes, Obama created death!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
As most C5 & C6 owners know, there is a "BLACK BOX" inside our cars. It records the last few seconds prior to impact. It will record vehicle speed, % of brakes being applied, throttle position, RPM, etc.
So exactly which of these is an "essential liberty", LBear?

So if you get really injured in this accident and are sent to the hospital and you are alone and near death, is it ok if they find out your medical history?

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: The Black Box