C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing in the dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Jolan
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Buzzing in the dash

When I start the car up in the mornings I notice a loud buzzing coming from the dash. It sounds like it is coming from right behind the gauge cluster. Is it the HUD? Anything to worry about? I does seem to go away after I have driven it a bit or when I turn the radio up
Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be your ambient Temperature sensor. Right next to your start button.

There is a little fan in there that sucks air through thesensor than can go bad.

Mine was buzzing and I had it replaced and it is quiet again.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Also the flexible cowl cover covering the bottom of front window ( outside ) can vibrate but this is under speed or with a strong head wind. This sound is heaver sounding than the temp. fan buzz. Light buzz then probably the temp. fan as stated above.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Also the flexible cowl cover covering the bottom of front window ( outside ) can vibrate but this is under speed or with a strong head wind. This sound is heaver sounding than the temp. fan buzz. Light buzz then probably the temp. fan as stated above.
Is there a fix for the cowl cover vibration? My car gets the intermitent dash rumble noise when it is at highway speed and the ambient temperature is about the same as in the car or on a highway with a textured surface. Of course, the dealer service department can never replicate it.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by alamike
Is there a fix for the cowl cover vibration? My car gets the intermitent dash rumble noise when it is at highway speed and the ambient temperature is about the same as in the car or on a highway with a textured surface. Of course, the dealer service department can never replicate it.
Not that I know of. I have experienced it a few times. Not for a while now through. I ran a credit card along the widow edge to make sure there wasn't any debris caught. Just kinda re positioned it a bit. I think it is more of a fluke with the proper circumstances being as they may.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Is there a service bulletin on this buzz that seems to come from the dash in front of the passenger seat? My new (leftover 2009 bought in January) Corvette is going in to the dealer for its first service. I have asked them to look into the problem with the buzz in the dash, but it is an intermitent problem that doesn't occur ofter. When it does, it will drive you nuts because it is so loud. Rougher blacktop surface seems to cause it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM
windcharger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have some sorta type of buzzing sound on passenger side around dash. Although I believe mine has to do with glove box, it's intermittent and when it occurs I open the glove box and close it a few times. I need to lube the latch on it, not sure if there is any adjustment for it.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alamike
i had this problem and dropped it off at my dealership, in may, for a fix. they sealed it somehow. been quiet ever since. car sits in the hot texas sun every week day at work. if the fix was going to fail it would have. i had the work done on the last official day of my factory warranty. my car now has the sensor buzz. it's not too bad yet. i have the extended warranty but i don't think it would be practicle to take it to the dealership for this. i bet that part isn't expensive. my extended warranty deductable is $100. probably just replace it myself.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

The sensor is $70-$90 from parts taxi and waaaay easy to install
Old 10-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Jolan
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beav626
The sensor is $70-$90 from parts taxi and waaaay easy to install
Any write-ups on doing it? I haven't gotten the dealer service manuals yet.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jolan
Any write-ups on doing it? I haven't gotten the dealer service manuals yet.
Very easy you just pop that plastic puiece off witha butter knife wrapped in a towel and inscrew the sensor, then unplug it and do the opposite. to install
Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 PM
sranger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine did that. I cerried it to the dealer and they fixed it... Do not know what they did though....

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing in the dash

Quick Reply: Buzzing in the dash