C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic vs Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Isn't that what they pay an editor for?
It's the proofreader's job to catch mistakes. He's near the bottom pay grade. The editor is like a general manager near the top of the pile.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by See5see6
In Corvette Magazine, Issue #60, October 2010, an article beginning on page 42 wrongly states that automatic transmission equipped Grand Sports have "the gearbox mounted directly behind the engine instead of at the rear axle as it in on a manual tranmission-equipped car"....................

In their Issue #61, December 2010, on page 12 they straighten out their error.

So perhaps that is what got some confusion started. Even a classy (my opinion) mag. like Corvette Magazine can and will make errors once in awhile.

We are in October and you have a December issue ? That seems a bit strange.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
We are in October and you have a December issue ? That seems a bit strange.
Yeah, who can figure the way publishers do things? But here it is. Issue #61, December, 2010. I've had it for almost a week now. Pretty much read it dry. By December we will probably have April, 2011.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Kontra06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having some exhaust work done this weekend. Guess I need to get a good look of the underside while its 'uppen da air'. Also I can see where the lifting pucks go and where I need to clean the sway bars and stuff.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Originally Posted by See5see6
In Corvette Magazine, Issue #60, October 2010, an article beginning on page 42 wrongly states that automatic transmission equipped Grand Sports have "the gearbox mounted directly behind the engine instead of at the rear axle as it in on a manual tranmission-equipped car".In their Issue #61, December 2010, on page 12 they straighten out their error. So perhaps that is what got some confusion started.
That must be where I read it. I am the original poster (OP) and just last night read the most recent issue of Corvette Magazine where they correct their error.
-Clark
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
clarkakirby
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
All C5/C6 transmissions are mounted in the rear, whether automatic or manual. None can truely be called a transaxle, as even the manuals gear case is isolated from the diffential's and does not share the same lubricating oil.
OK, then, we should say that our cars have a rear-mounted transmission (automatic or manual), not a transaxle. Whatever the distinction, I am sure it is for better weight distribution. I love the way my GS handles at local track days. If you want to "drift" it, no problem! -Clark
Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I say the C5/C6 has a transaxle. There is no definition that says they have to share the same fluid, only that both the transmission and the differential are integrated into a single unit. Since the Corvette's transmission and differential are one unit(bolted together and the output shaft of the transmission is also the pinion gear shaft, they are, as defined, a single unit.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ide/index.html

"The rest of the C5's mechanicals are equally unique in design and engineering. The transmission, mounted directly to the rear transaxle,................"

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-11-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I say the C5/C6 has a transaxle. There is no definition that says they have to share the same fluid, only that both the transmission and the differential are integrated into a single unit. Since the Corvette's transmission and differential are one unit(bolted together and the output shaft of the transmission is also the pinion gear shaft, they are, as defined, a single unit.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ide/index.html

"The rest of the C5's mechanicals are equally unique in design and engineering. The transmission, mounted directly to the rear transaxle,................"
More of GM's B.S. Adspeak. The definition for transaxle is and always has been ONE shared housing and ONE shared fluid for both transmission and differential. Since the C5 and C6 have a separate transmission housing using a different fluid than the separate differential the definition fails on both counts.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:10 PM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haljensen
More of GM's B.S. Adspeak. The definition for transaxle is and always has been ONE shared housing and ONE shared fluid for both transmission and differential. Since the C5 and C6 have a separate transmission housing using a different fluid than the separate differential the definition fails on both counts.
Corvette setup is a nice improvement over trans mounted to engine but it is not a "transaxle".
Old 10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Cratchet
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

It's a "dry sump" transaxle? J/K
Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Kontra06
I'm having some exhaust work done this weekend. Guess I need to get a good look of the underside while its 'uppen da air'. Also I can see where the lifting pucks go and where I need to clean the sway bars and stuff.

Since you mentioned pucks - you probably already know, but be sure they know how to lift your C6 w/o cracking the rocker panels.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs Manual Trans