C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORVETTE magazine Coilover vs. Leaf Spring Article

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CORVETTE magazine Coilover vs. Leaf Spring Article

Just wanted to share a recent article from Corvette magazine written on the benefits of upgrading your C5/C6 suspension to coilovers. There are some great points in here that dispel the myth that coilovers are for race cars only. Johnny O'Connell has pointed out that "When we improve cars, it doesn't mean you have to be a racecar driver, it actually means the opposite. It makes the car easier to drive." This is precisely the objective when we sit down to engineer a product for the Corvette chassis.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 PM
DaveC6ZHZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Pfadt: Interesting read; thanks for sharing. With regard to the caveat in the last paragraph, cornering-weighting sounds like something that requires a race shop for proper chassis adjustment to get the benefit of these coil-overs. What's the $ hit on that?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DaveC6ZHZ
To Pfadt: Interesting read; thanks for sharing. With regard to the caveat in the last paragraph, cornering-weighting sounds like something that requires a race shop for proper chassis adjustment to get the benefit of these coil-overs. What's the $ hit on that?
No problem, glad we got this article sent to us to share!

I would say that the large majority of our customers do not get/need their car corner balanced. Corner balancing is a GREAT thing to do if you plan on tracking your car, or if you want the best possible set-up. The C5/C6 chassis is very good to begin with, and for street performance, I would not necessarily say it is required. I would recommend it more for those who are looking for that final tuning ability to dial in your perfect balance on the track. It works fantastic on the street, but if you driving resolution is not high enough to push the limits, then it may not be for everybody.

We corner-weight and align our cars by hand in about 2 hours or so, including setting up the strings etc. But we have very specific goals and repeat the same process a lot. I would look for a shop to charge in the 2-3 hour range as well. Can not say for sure, every shop will be different depending on the experience they have.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Coilovers maybe on my winter to-do list. I'm sure I can find a shop in SLC to help me with the corner balance.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

We will ask around to see if anyone local to SLC does corner balancing. You would think someone would?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
DaveC6ZHZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
No problem, glad we got this article sent to us to share!

I would say that the large majority of our customers do not get/need their car corner balanced. Corner balancing is a GREAT thing to do if you plan on tracking your car, or if you want the best possible set-up. The C5/C6 chassis is very good to begin with, and for street performance, I would not necessarily say it is required. I would recommend it more for those who are looking for that final tuning ability to dial in your perfect balance on the track. It works fantastic on the street, but if you driving resolution is not high enough to push the limits, then it may not be for everybody.

We corner-weight and align our cars by hand in about 2 hours or so, including setting up the strings etc. But we have very specific goals and repeat the same process a lot. I would look for a shop to charge in the 2-3 hour range as well. Can not say for sure, every shop will be different depending on the experience they have.
Thank you for the informative reply. I am considering an Edelbrock SC and some other upgrades (just put on PS2 ZPs for more stick), so I may be a customer soon for your excellent coil-overs. I have found a race shop near the Orlando area for corner weight balancing and alignment (recommended by a guy who tracks his car).
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

No problem, give us a call/pm/email with any questions! It is always great to find a good shop for corner weighting!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice article. I may have missed it but what is the weight difference between the two systems?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Nice article. I may have missed it but what is the weight difference between the two systems?
Thanks! The weight savings with our current coilover offerings is ~3lbs or so. While this may not be monumental, our new Feather Light Generation coilovers will have much more weight savings. Stay tuned for upcoming info!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love a set of coil overs but i'm afraid in the NJ/NY area the cars suspension is probably best left as is.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I noticed that you have a kit for the C6 and Z06. Which one is recommended for a Grand Sport?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Old 10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NJLS708
I would love a set of coil overs but i'm afraid in the NJ/NY area the cars suspension is probably best left as is.
Well upgrading a Corvette suspension does not mean you need to immediately move to coilovers. Sometimes Corvette owners have the need for more of a "set-it and forget-it" suspension, like our newly released Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 suspension:

Street Suspension Package

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
I noticed that you have a kit for the C6 and Z06. Which one is recommended for a Grand Sport?
Which kits are you referring to? The C6 and Z06 coilover kits are virtually identical and the part number is the same. The only difference is that we provide upper mount bushings to accommodate both Steel and Aluminum frame cars. The upper plates are different thicknesses. No matter which car you have, we have you covered.

For your information, the only time you will see different versions of our products (currently) will be due to frame type. So, if you have a Grand Sport, that is essentially a standard C6 due to its Steel Frame construction.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Which kits are you referring to? The C6 and Z06 coilover kits are virtually identical and the part number is the same. The only difference is that we provide upper mount bushings to accommodate both Steel and Aluminum frame cars. The upper plates are different thicknesses. No matter which car you have, we have you covered.

For your information, the only time you will see different versions of our products (currently) will be due to frame type. So, if you have a Grand Sport, that is essentially a standard C6 due to its Steel Frame construction.
I didn't notice that the part numbers are the same. Most sites list a C6 product and a separate Z06 as well. Thanks for the quick reply
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I read somewhere that the geometry of the leaf spring design provides some roll resistance, similar to a sway bar. This allows a lighter sway bar to be used. When you switch to coilovers, do you need to adjust sway bar size to compensate for removed leaf spring?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

That was a great article. Thanks for posting!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
IPS Motorsports
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJLS708
With adjustable dampening you should have no concern of ride issues, I have several clients in your area I have sold Pfadt's coilovers to, and no bad feedback to this point, only thank you calls for selling them an great product .

Regards
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool, but seems hard to say that the improvements were specific to the coilover vs. transverse leaf design. could be that shocks better matched to the existing springs (or to leaf springs with different weights) would have helped similarly
Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Dick Guldstrand sure looks great...he did the suspension on my Trans Am in 1977...really a wonderful guy!

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTE magazine Coilover vs. Leaf Spring Article

Quick Reply: CORVETTE magazine Coilover vs. Leaf Spring Article