C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar eNav

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default OnStar eNav

Anybody been able to get a route from MapQuest or Google Maps to download to their navigation screen using the OnStar eNav option? I can get the verbal directions, but nothing on the navigation display. Best as I can tell OnStar eNav must not work with the Corvette navigation system. Right/wrong?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Did you read how eNav works? Onstar navigation has always been turn-by-turn voice. The only change with eNav is you can now enter a map from the internet yourself rather than calling an advisor to do it. http://www.mapquesthelp.com/app/answ...(new-mapquest)
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=FortMorganAl;1575644817]Did you read how eNav works? Onstar navigation has always been turn-by-turn voice. The only change with eNav is you can now enter a map from the internet yourself rather than calling an advisor to do it. http://www.mapquesthelp.com/app/answ...(new-mapquest)[/QUOT

Maybe I have it wrong but I thought it will also download the route to the car's navigation system - at least to some GM cars, but apparently not the Corvette.

Last edited by Deftly; 10-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

If you have a Nav system you already have turn-by-turn. Your Nav system has voice guidance - although I have mine silenced because there's enough other info on the screen and the HUD.

Turn-by-turn is a feature for somebody that doesn't have a Nav but has OnStar.

It's strictly a way for GM to make more money by selling a service to somebody who doesn't have a built in Nav, a Garmin or Tom Tom or such, or even an iPhone.

I don't know the features of all the GM Nav systems, but I doubt OnStar can download any data to any of them - especially if they use a DVD for their data.

IMHO, turn-by-turn would be a total waste of money for anyone with any kind of Nav system in their car - factory or aftermarket.

MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I "think" the e-nav download feature is limited to '09 and newer Vettes, but I'm not sure. There was a thread about that over a year ago and IIRC we determined it only works for newer Vettes. I just checked OnStar's E-Nav site and they show only 2009 and newer Vettes in the list. Here's the OnStar site link with with instructions and links to the vehicles list and FAQ page:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/enavoverview
Old 10-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

I have a 2011 Vette and the nav function of Onstar is standard for the first 6 months.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If you have a Nav system you already have turn-by-turn. Your Nav system has voice guidance - although I have mine silenced because there's enough other info on the screen and the HUD.

Turn-by-turn is a feature for somebody that doesn't have a Nav but has OnStar.

It's strictly a way for GM to make more money by selling a service to somebody who doesn't have a built in Nav, a Garmin or Tom Tom or such, or even an iPhone.

I don't know the features of all the GM Nav systems, but I doubt OnStar can download any data to any of them - especially if they use a DVD for their data.

IMHO, turn-by-turn would be a total waste of money for anyone with any kind of Nav system in their car - factory or aftermarket. MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Well if you've activated your OnStar account then the instructions on the OnStar site I linked to above tell you how to do it. Is that not what you want?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phantom
I have done everything the instructions indicate. The route does not download to my car's nav system. Therefore I am assuming the Corvette does not have this capability.

What I have been wondering is whether anyone has been successful having eNav download a nav route to their Corvette's navigation unit.
GM says that NO GM car downloads to the nav system. ENav only gives turn-by-turn directions through OnStar. OnStar and the nav are 2 different options and totally unrelated. Doesn't that answer the question?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
thomastl
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phantom - you are correct. The site implies that it will download to your screen. Does not work on my 2011 GS either. You just get turn by turn from onstar.

For those that don't understand the question - here is what the Onstar site says.

"eNav even works with your vehicle’s screen based navigation system.³"
"³Available on select MY 2009 and newer GM vehicles requires Directions and Connections plan and compatible navigation system."

Now why would GM be putting non-compatible nav systems in 2011 $70,000 cars. That is the real question.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thomastl
Phantom - you are correct. The site implies that it will download to your screen. Does not work on my 2011 GS either. You just get turn by turn from onstar.

For those that don't understand the question - here is what the Onstar site says.

"eNav even works with your vehicle’s screen based navigation system.³"
"³Available on select MY 2009 and newer GM vehicles requires Directions and Connections plan and compatible navigation system."

Now why would GM be putting non-compatible nav systems in 2011 $70,000 cars. That is the real question.

Ah.....THAT IS the question. Interesting but not surprising.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:47 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thomastl
Phantom - you are correct. The site implies that it will download to your screen. ...
I sit corrected. OnStar Destination Download IS supposed to work with SOME GM nav systems. The Corvette is not one of them.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar eNav

Quick Reply: OnStar eNav