C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product Review: RSD Snap Shifter

Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
gtmotor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Review: RSD Snap Shifter

I've tried a few short shifters for the Corvette and as much as I like the "rifle bolt" feel of the MGW I decided I wanted something a little less aggressive since most of my driving is on the street. I've found that the MGW is sometimes difficult to get into first gear when rolling to a stop and that reverse takes some finesse also.

I chose the RSD Snap Shifter (http://www.racespecialtydesigns.com/...&cat=15&page=1) as it uses a new 2009+ Z06 box as the base of the product.

RSDs instructions were very lacking... I'm not even sure why the instruction sheet was even included (it didn't help much... if someone from RSD is interested in my feedback please PM me). That being said, the installation was very straight forward using instructions I found online for a B&M shifter. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 10 in terms of difficulty (with changing your oil being a 2).

I found my shifter base bushings to be totally shot after removing the stock shifter. This is very likely the reason why I would sometimes miss second gear during a fast shift... the shifter seemed to go into purgatory between first and second. I also often had trouble getting the shifter into first gear at a stop.

Here's an example of worn shifter bushings (25k miles):

(Picture reference from forum member "Wass")

Mine had 46k miles and were MUCH worse. There was barely any material on both of them.

The RSD shifter went in like factory (as I expected ) and I was up and running in less than an hour. I am very impressed with the product and it really transformed how the car feels during shifting. I rowed up from 1st to 6th on a test drive about 10 times, did some heel-toe downshifts, and basically just drove around for awhile with the top off to get a feel for it

I give the RSD Snap Shifter a solid 9 out of 10. It's a very nice product. They had extremely fast shipping and everything works as advertised. If you have a daily driven C6 and are considering a shifter upgrade I'd highly recommend this unit.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks had seen this before and was wondering also does this take the stock shifter ****?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
gtmotor
Advanced

No, the shift lever is cut down and threaded by RSD. It will accept any shift **** from a C5 Corvette.

I really like their ball-shaped shift ****. It fits nicely in my palm. After daily driving the car for a few days I've found that the shifting is definitely stiffer with this kit but that's to be expected. I'm still very happy with it
Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmotor
No, the shift lever is cut down and threaded by RSD. It will accept any shift **** from a C5 Corvette.

I really like their ball-shaped shift ****. It fits nicely in my palm. After daily driving the car for a few days I've found that the shifting is definitely stiffer with this kit but that's to be expected. I'm still very happy with it
Glad to hear you are liking it. Anything over what came in the car is better. Did it come with the rubbers or did you have to go to dealer to get them
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
gtmotor
Advanced

It's directly plug and play. It comes with the new 2009+ Z06 bushings which aren't as harsh as the 06-08 ones. There is little to no vibration through the shifter (you can rest your hand on it while driving) and no buzzing during acceleration.

Get notified of new replies

To Product Review: RSD Snap Shifter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Product Review: RSD Snap Shifter