C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - problem or normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Default A6 - problem or normal?

I have an 07 A6 Coupe. When I use the paddleshifts from a standing start, under heavy acceleration or full throttle I can't manually shift the car to 2nd gear - I have to put it into "D" mode and let the computer shift. At first I thought I'm not pressing the paddleshifter hard enough but that is not the case.

I was wondering if it is a design flaw or just my car?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I do not think that is normal at all. Mine doesn't do that so I would schedule an appointment with the dealer.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

"Are you pushing the + button above the wheel spokes to upshift?"

...he said, trying not to be condescending.

It wasn't a natural feeling for me the first time I drove an A6. Just eliminating the more obvious causes.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 AM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default A6 - problem or normal?

I just upgraded to a C-6, 2007 with the auto paddle shifters. Love the car and still learning how to get the most out of it in the Sport mode. My review of the manual shows that the computer will stop a shift up or down if the RPMs are to high for that gear. If you are flooring the pedal in first gear and attempting to up-shift the computer is going to not let you or you will blow up the transmission. You should see a big X in the HUD when this happens. You can be real aggressive with the shifters but the computer will protect the engine and trans. If you put the car in Competitive Driving Mode, the shifts get a little sharper. Hope this helps. RJ

Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
jojog
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What you describe is not normal. Sorry, but a trip to the dealer is in order. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Lizer1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 07 A6 and noticed that if there was any wheelspin the computer would not allow any shifts in the sport mode. I believe that there is a section in the owners manual that explains this. Until I figured this out, I bounced the engine off the rev-limiter several times on some spirited runs.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 AM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

No, its the TCM not letting you destroy your trans. Try lifting slightly just before you shift. (like you would with a clutch/MN6) Slow your shifts down. You're trying/wanting to shift faster than the A6 will allow.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you rule out the switch by trying both sides. Do they work OK under normal driving conditions? Does the car have a tune? I agree with several above. Mine does not shift as fast as I would like, but it does work. I just hit the switch a little early to prevent bouncing off the limiter.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by filmjay
No, its the TCM not letting you destroy your trans. Try lifting slightly just before you shift. (like you would with a clutch/MN6) Slow your shifts down. You're trying/wanting to shift faster than the A6 will allow.
Never had to lift on our 2006 A6 or 2009 A6 to get a proper shift. Just push da paddle.

Originally Posted by Lizer1
I had a 07 A6 and noticed that if there was any wheelspin the computer would not allow any shifts in the sport mode. I believe that there is a section in the owners manual that explains this. Until I figured this out, I bounced the engine off the rev-limiter several times on some spirited runs.
Also, our 2006 wouldn't upshift if the engine was in the rev limiter.
There is a lag in the tach and a lag in the shift, so it's easy to get into the limiter.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Also, our 2006 wouldn't upshift if the engine was in the rev limiter.
There is a lag in the tach and a lag in the shift, so it's easy to get into the limiter.
Also, if your tires are spinning, I've found that it won't shift with TC on. Even if you don't think they are it's possible especially since you say you are under full throttle.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Thanks for all the responses. If I am trying to upshift at high RPMs how would that damage the transmission? Also, if the computer is blocking the shift from being done manually, why would it shift by itself when I put it into "D"?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Thanks for all the responses. If I am trying to upshift at high RPMs how would that damage the transmission? Also, if the computer is blocking the shift from being done manually, why would it shift by itself when I put it into "D"?
The A6 does do funny things when at the rev limiter while in S mode. Mine sometimes does not like me taking my foot off the gas and will hang in the lower gear longer than I think it needs to before it up shifts. This only happens when I am driving super aggressive.

It happens so rarely that I am not worried about it. Still have a couple of years on the 5/100 warranty if it decides to detonate.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:05 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I agree with some of the responses above, if your rear wheels are spining TC will not allow a shift, you can turn TC off or go to the COMP mode and see how the machine reacts. When you are in D transmission shift pressures are different and even though you might not be able to detect it, shifts take place at a little lower RPM and the command to shift is coming from the TCM it's self and not via reaction time from a switch.

Last edited by BRCC; 11-04-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 - problem or normal?

Quick Reply: A6 - problem or normal?