C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Previous Porsche owner now fully Vetted!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM
KevinJax
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Previous Porsche owner now fully Vetted!

Dear Corette Forum Members,
First thank you for all the advice over the last six months. I had been driving a 911 all wheerl drive Cabriolet for over 6 years. It was a 2002 model. I have loved the car and always thought I would upgrade to a 997 at some point. I began hearing and reading about the C6 Corvette and became intrigued. The corvettes are beautiful and now giving the German cars a serious run for their money.
I spent the last 6 months considering and drivnig such cars as the BMW M3, 997, M6 and Corvette.(I own a 7 series, a lexus, a lincoln and have owned a sereies before. I came away in love with the Corvette and delighted that it was an American Car. Thanks to many of you.
I purchased a 2008 Atomic Orange Coupe Z51, 3LT,and Dual Mode Exhaust with 5300 miles on it from Rogers Corvette Center in Orlando.
I cannot express to you how much I love this car. It is a much nicer driving car than my 911 on several accounts. The clutch pedal pressure is significantly less and the engine has so much low end torque, it would be difficult to stall the engine,
The other thing I like is the throbbing of that Big V8 in my had through the shifter. It gives the car a visceral feel. The sound of the exhaust is incredible. This car feels more stout and powerful than my 911. It is tight and ready to rumble. Revving the engine up does not make it feel like it is running out of air. This is different than my Porsche.
The quality of the materials is excellent and the seats are comfortable. Steering is on scenter and plenty communicative. Yes, I felt the road a bit more on my 911, but the steerfin in the vette is just as enjoyable. The ride quality is far superrior to my 911 as attested to by my wife. It also has atone of room in the back cargo area.
I opted for the coupe so that I could occasionally track the car. It came with a acrylic roof panel with gives the car a real open feel without UV light intrusion or wind blowing in. The Coupe top is easy to remove and store . When off, the car really feels like driving a convertible as you don’t have eyes in the back of your head.
There are a lot of hidden features in the car tha upon discovering them you just say “sssweeeet!!!” to yourself. These are things like the heads up display, the storages boxes in the rear, the automatic latching hatch back dooor, and the memory seats which measure your best exit anlgle of the seet and stearing wheel.
I would recommend that anyone driving a 911 give one of these C6’s a try because you won’t be dissappointed. The powere and ammenties make it a joy to onw. Zero to 60 in 4 seconds helps too.
The Atomic Orange in person by the way is an extroidinary color, absolutely beautiful.
If anyone in Jacksonville wants to get together and share corvett stories, let me know. Iplan on checking out the local corvett club.
By the way, buying from Rogers Corvettes was a delightful experience. We agreed on the price over the phone and my son and I took the train from Jax to Winter Park. Roger had opened up the dealership on a Sunday (usually closed) just so I could take delivery of the car as soon as possible. For three years previously, I have looked and thought about cars that Roger had in his show room. He never pressured me to buy….not even once. He even made the admirable commment that toys come after family and othr priorities. The car was shinye and had a fresh oil change and full tank of gas and was waiting for me. I did not even test drive it because Roger’s reputation is impecable. I am absolutely sure that I did not pay auciotn prices for this corvette, but it was the one I wanted and in pristine condition, just as Roger had described. It.
And so I am thinking after all these years of Posche ownership…..”Wow, I could’a had a V8” all this time. Thank you all again!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 AM
kygakman
Sideways Saturday
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a great day tomorrow in your new Corvette! I will be out in the sunshine with the top down tomorrow too!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I joined a club and it is awesome to go hang out with other like minded individuals. Although, I have heard there can be some differences between clubs. If you don't like the first one, try another.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

Congrats on a very wise choice. Hope you have many miles of fun!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoy it! I too just got an 08 and am very pleased. I wish you the very best! The Vette will treat you right, but the Porsche is a badd car too...
Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 AM
wombats777
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-17-'18-'19, '21,'24

Congrats and welcome. Post pics when you get a chance.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like you are pleased with trading in your Porsche for a Corvette. I say you made a good decision. Enjoy the vette
Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 AM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 AM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the club of Vette owners!! I/we know exactly where you are coming from as we've had the privilege of driving many upscale cars. The Vette has it's own unique character that never fails to put a smile on one's face.

Compared to the Porsche, the maintenance and up keep for the Vette will be affordable. Have fun & safe trails... DTG
Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Congrats and welcome aboard
Old 10-31-2010, 01:52 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Corvette ownership and enjoy your car. This from a former Boxster S owner (a couple cars ago).
Old 10-31-2010, 03:39 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was surprised how impressed you are with the vette coming from a porsche, I've seen others unhappy with the steering and handling capabilities. Good to see someone pleased with what the vette has to offer on all fronts.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:56 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome aboard. Post some pic's
Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 AM
ducvw2004
Advanced

Congratulations on your decision. I'm a bit of a Porschephile myself (I have a 1966 912), but absolutely love my 08 C6.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 AM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Congratulations on the new Vette and welcome to the family.

I cannot get past the Porsche looks, Boxster is the only car they have that I ever considered but it is difficult to work on the engine and as you pointed out not enough torque. Ferrari is my only other "real" alternative to the Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Previous Porsche owner now fully Vetted!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Previous Porsche owner now fully Vetted!